| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Trouble with mic.
Chris Dufrane

Constable, NY, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2000 5:03 pm    

I'm at the end of my rope playing around with this dang mic. I've got a Compaq Presario 5451 and a Compaq MV500 monitor with a mic built in. I was trying to use the AOL Instant Messenger voice chat and I could hear a litte, so my cousin fixed it on the other end and I got to where I could hear good. Then he had trouble hearing me, so I turned every mic volume control I could find all the way up and spoke close to the screen and it worked OK. He told me to just go out and get a regular headset mic and that would work much better. Well I got one at Radio Shack this morning, got home plugged it in and it didn't work, so I went to the volume properties and raised all the mic volume and changed it from playback to record like the salesman said at Radio Shack and still nothing, so I switched it back to my screen mic and still nothing. I was using sound recorder to test the mics and I even tried the yahoo voice chat wizard to set up and test the mics. Could someone please help me. Thank you in advance

Christopher Dufrane

[This message was edited by Chris Dufrane on 04 November 2000 at 05:07 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2000 3:44 am    

Try the LINE IN with the mic and see if it works. The line in is a stereo input, but it should work enough to tell you if your mic is OK. Make sure the line in is enabled on the "volume control" panel.

I have a 5170 Compaq and the sound card is integrated on the motherboard. I had a problem with the line in on mine and the problem turned out to be the sound module on the motherboard. It required a new motherboard to fix it. However, I had a SoundBlaster AWE64 board, from another computer, and I tried it - works great. If it turns out the mic input is bad and the PC is still in warranty have it repaired. If it is out of warranty, and the on-board audio module is the problem, your best bet is purchase a plug in audio board (I'd recommend the SB Live).
Chris Dufrane

Constable, NY, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2000 10:09 am    

Jack, I got it working. I never thought to try the line in. Thanks a lot...
You can close this topic thread up now.

God Bless

Chris Dufrane