| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another "Fry-Pan" question
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2002 11:56 am    

On another "fry pan" point.........a friend of mine recently bought one from a texan visiting over here...he said that SOl Hoopii once played it.....my friend paid OVER £1,500
for it and was told it was 1932. It has a volume control and riveted on the headstock is a plate. the fretboard is HIGHLY polished . the neck is hollow at the pegend and the number A6 is visible.
can anyone confirm that this is or isn't a 1932 rick.
You see my friend bought it as an investment and he doesn't know what I suspect, BUT, if it was confirmed NOT to be as the man from texas described it he might get his money back

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://www.waikiki-islanders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2002 12:21 pm    

Basil:

I'll yield to those who have forgotten more about "Fry-Pans" than I know, but according to this website the volume control wasn't added until 1934: http://www.provide.net/~cfh/rick.html#ricklaps
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2002 2:31 pm    

WHAT KIND OF KNOB is the volume control?

Is it a LARGE ROUND BLACK KNOB with a chrome looking center? ANy other engravings on it?
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2002 5:03 pm    

Hi Ray,
the knob IS a large black one and there are NO engravings on the guitar only a brass plate on the headstock that's held on with two pins.It looks to me as though the fretboard has been HIGHLY polished but the rest of the guitar is quite dull.The chrome is sparkling and I figure that the guitar has been been messed around with.
For obvious reasons I won't disclose the seller OR the buyer, BUT if the guitar proves NOT to be as the seller described it , I would be obliged to inform my friend of the situation.
As I said earlied ... it was sold as a 1932 Fry-Pan.
BTW over£1,500 stg. is over $2,000.US

[This message was edited by basilh on 05 July 2002 at 06:05 PM.]

Jeff Watson

Anza, CA. USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2002 6:13 pm    

Hi Basil,
Even though the guitar may not be just what the seller says it is, it sounds like its the real deal (a Rick Fry Pan). If eBay is any indicator of pricing, that one seems to be in the ballpark.

[This message was edited by Jeff Watson on 05 July 2002 at 10:10 PM.]

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 3:16 am    

I think the best would be to see a picture. If you can´t post, you are welcome to e-mail me one ( universal_tuning@yahoo.com ).
As far as I know FryPans (Models A22 and the earlier long scale A24) where sold to the public starting 1932 and numbering started with 001 (I have 079). No letters. Volume control was added 1934 (when the B-series came out, initially only featuring a volume control--later a tone control was added to B-series only). The knobs were hexa-or-orto-gonal (I'd have to check on the git-tar) in shape and of black bakelite material. I have never seen them used by any other manufacturer (radio equipement incl.) and have never been able to find a true replacement.
As I understand from talks I had with some of our seniors, FryPans seem to have been sold in all sorts of finishes. Some even seem to recall golden ones! But the most usual finish was some kind of hammer-shrink lacquer of a greyish tone (ugly, really) which could turn greenish over time (huaaaagh). Some were just polished too, which is good news in that you can allways clear damaged lacquer off the guitar and polish the aluminum and you'd still have an original instrument.
On most of these instruments the magnet plates (horse-shoes) will have lost part or most of the magnetic energy and will need to be re-magnetized (yes, can be done!). Most PLAYERS may also choose to temporaryly re-wire the volume cotrol as a tone control as these guitars tend to be quite bright and may need to be trimmed down for some music styles.
Also keep in mind that these were LOW impedance pickups designed for the amps made back then. They work will all of today´s amps but the REAL sound potential of these things has to be heard with an original amp of the 30´s-40´s.

Finally, $2000.oo (and up) seems to be what is being paid for these things nowadays and althou it may seem high for a six-string non-pedal steel... it still seems a good long term investment to me given the historic value and the probably eternal playability of these instruments (and then, remember, they are the best!! ).

Hope this is of help to you. Thanks! ... J-D.