| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume pedal with Frypan?
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2002 2:02 pm    

Would lap steel typically be used with a volume pedal?

Brad Sarno

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 May 2002 3:16 pm    

Wouldn't that fall into the category that you the picker, has many options available to you, and to use/or not use, is one of those mind boggling choices that we creative artists must make (on our own) from time to time? You could end up with 3,200 differing opinions on that question. I suggest you do what feels good to YOU....
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 24 May 2002 5:06 pm    

Most of the time I use a volume pedal with my lap steels. Sometimes I don't.

I think it depends upon the player.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 24 May 2002 10:48 pm    

Why not ?
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 25 May 2002 3:42 am    

because it's supposed to be "non pedal"
Andy Greatrix

Edmonton Alberta
Post  Posted 25 May 2002 4:54 am    

Jerry Byrd uses a volume peddle.

[This message was edited by Andy Greatrix on 25 May 2002 at 05:55 AM.]

Geoff Brown

Nashvegas
Post  Posted 25 May 2002 5:44 am    

Those of you who are using pedals...what kinds are you using? If the lap steel is played across the lap, as opposed to a stand, what pedals are best, and vice versa? I'd like to get a new volume pedal to use with my lap steel, and would be interested in knowing what folks are using.
Tony Harris

England
Post  Posted 25 May 2002 5:59 am    

I love the sound of C6 PEDAL players playing jazz (Buddy E, Doug Jernigan, Herby Wallace, Hal Rugg etc), but I play a little 6-string lap. Many of the things that make a steel sound like a steel - glissandos, vibrato, sustain etc can be achieved without pedals, and using a volume pedal gets me even nearer to this. They are even licks and bar-slants that make it SOUND like a pedal steel.
I use a Goodrich - the one that's lower. This means your right knee isn't too much higher than your left, if you're playing with the guitar on your lap.
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2002 6:14 am    

I use a volume pedal with all my Hawaiian steels.

I have owned Goodrich (active and passive), Ernie Ball, etc.... The Hilton VP is BY FAR the finest ...
http://www.hiltonelectronics.net/
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2002 6:34 am    

I always play with a foot volume. It is especially handy when you miss a harmonic and don't want the audience to hear it!
Uff-Da!
mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 25 May 2002 9:46 am    

typically, YES!!!!!
PS..I use an old Sho-Bud Vol. pedal...and I have tried quite a few makes...old DeArmonds are good too..nice and wide w/ a good taper(for me anyway)...but I must admit..I haven't tried any others in years...so maybe something better is out there...I got mine a while back, so I stopped searching...
mike

[This message was edited by mikey on 25 May 2002 at 10:53 AM.]

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 25 May 2002 11:53 am    

I had an old Bigsby pedal for a while but playing with a volume pedal never quite worked for me so I sold it. So I've essentially been playing for 14 or 15 years without a volume pedal. A number of Hawaiian players - like Billy Hew Len - used the controls on the face of the guitar. Jerry Byrd uses a volume pedal wired in reverse (louder on the upstroke).
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 26 May 2002 9:25 pm    

I consider the volume pedal in the same league as the volume pedal on most organs...it's a form of expression. Use it sparingly and it will certainly add to your performance.
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2002 6:28 am    

It is interesting to note (and it has been discussed before in another thread) that most steel players of the era did not use a volume pedal at all.

When I had the tremendous pleasure of visiting the Hawaiian Guitar show in Illinois, (if funds had not run out, I would be there EVERY year), I suddenly realized very few players were using a volume pedal. And many people who closed their eyes would have sworn they did.

You are correct; Jerry Byrd does in fact use a volume pedal. AND, on his left foot and it is wired backwards. In other words, the volume DECREASES when it is pushed down!!!!. But then when one analyzes this genious, it is not surprising that he would use a pedal like NO body else. Cuz, "he dont play lack nobuddy else!"

One of the best advices a young player could receive is to ocassionally play their guitar (lap or pedal) with OUT the volume pedal. IN many cases it will improve one's touch and tone. It simply forces you to eradicate unwanted sounds thru finesse and sublte blocking which EVERY player needs to nurture, IMHO.

May our precious Jesus richly bless you all,

carl
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 27 May 2002 2:22 pm    

"One of the best advices a young player could receive is to ocassionally play their guitar (lap or pedal) with OUT the volume pedal. IN many cases it will improve one's touch and tone. It simply forces you to eradicate unwanted sounds thru finesse and sublte blocking which EVERY player needs to nurture, IMHO."
Carl, being from the "old school" like yourself, those were wise words indeed. I enjoy using the pedal, (sparingly, I might add). It's there for certain effects when I need it, but I sure would never rely upon a volume pedal. I prefer to play straight as possible with the expression coming from my left hand as much as possible.

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 27 May 2002 at 11:18 PM.]

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 28 May 2002 10:54 pm    

gosh, isn't everyone playing non-pedal "old school"?..if not we'd be playing pedal steels!!!!what is "new school"?....and playing non pedal, is there any other way for expression but your hands?...I mean...we're not talking boo-wah pedals here...just a foot controled volume pot so you can keep your hands on the bar and strings(so you can get those harmonics in time)...that's what I use it for anyway...I get seasick too easy....but I DO agree w/ Mr. C. Dixon "EVERY player needs to nurture" his touch and blocking..but, I PROUDLY and discreetly use a Foot controlled vol. pot.as well...(but I learned on acoustic steel, not electric, so I guess that makes me real "old school" huh?...can't use any pedals on those!)
mike
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 30 May 2002 7:01 am    

Mikey, anyone who was alive when Dick McIntire was alive, I consider to be "old school"...I agree with everything you said.
The "new school" are definitely pedal players who have never heard of the old greats of the fifties on back. They are the ones who play more with their feet, whether pushing 8 pedals or the volume pedal than playing with beautiful expression and TONE. JMHO...others will challenge me, I know.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 May 2002 1:52 pm    

As an "old schooler".....I perhaps have a broader view of playing steel guitar than some of the younger, newer players. For this I am grateful. (I'll likely receive some more hate mail over this! Oh well...)
Quite a few of the newcomers to the instrument play the thing more like they are frenzied, frustrated mechanics than musicians playing from the heartfelt emotions within.
Without pedals....the bar hand determines how sweet or otherwise, the melody of the song is going to be. But there are pedal steel musicians that ALSO play the pedals as tho' it were an extension of their bar hand.
John Hughey, B.Emmons, and a host of other truly fine artists...can milk tears out of a single note and/or full chord while exercising the pedals. One doesn't have to punch, kick, stomp and abuse the pedals in order to play a song. Is this what created cabinet drop??
I do believe some really nice folks have missed the "reality" of beautiful music in playing the pedal steel guitar. Content with gimmics, gadgets and FRANTIC PICKING and rapid, never-ending pedal mashing...they appear to sound indistinguishable from all of the others within their peer group. Many; times, it's difficult to identify the song they are attempting to play.
Pedal steels can be played with as much emotion and feeling as a non-pedal. It's there, just waiting to be discovered!
It's NOT THE type or model of guitar.... it is the "driver" that makes the real difference.
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 May 2002 7:54 pm    

A lot of truth in that, Ray!....al