| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  can anybody on the forum tell me how to get this
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2006 1:40 pm    

For my Tele that is. http://images.misupply.com/downloads/Line%206/PODXTdemo_Tennesee.mp3

Just wondering if anybody that has a podxt,can tell me the settings that would get me close to this tone? On Musicians Friend, it shows to be the Tennesee Gent amp model sample, using the podxt. But I just can't seem to find the settings that gives this tone with the fret buzz znd all.The tone itself I can get fairly close to, it's the fret buzz that's got me stumped. Is there a specific fx that I need to get the fret-buzz? Thanks again

Terry

------------------
Mullen RP D10 /8x5 / Nashville 112/ American Tele
pickin for Jesus

[This message was edited by Terry Sneed on 25 June 2006 at 02:42 PM.]

[This message was edited by Terry Sneed on 25 June 2006 at 02:45 PM.]

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2006 3:33 pm    

You know Terry. I think you might be asking too much of it. Kind of like other specific "attack and sustain" things that might entail a sophisticated "envelope", as in a dobro simulator.

It might just be easier to lower your bridges a bit.

Here's what I've been using for tele and it seems to work pretty good.

Blackface Lux amp.

Drv 2 oclock

Bass 12

Mid mid 10

treb 2

presence 4

ch vol 2

all o'clock.

Comp thresh -53 Gain 0db

gate -71db 9 decay.

Condenser mike 50% room. 2x12 speaker model.

Delay Analog 274ms 0 feedback 30%mix,

Reverb cavernous 0 decay set to suit.

Into a set of solid state peaveys flat eq.

I have to set the output down to play it at home and get the comp to act right. Up for live situations.

Like I said I just save it to a bank of "spinal puppet/ cliffs of dover" or some such that I'll never use. To get different presets for different situations or clubs I save the same setup to all four channels of a bank and tweak each one to have different defaults like tremolo, auto-pan etc.

I'll have to try the "paisley patch", but my time is just slammed this week.

Enjoy.

EJL

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2006 3:39 pm    

Sounds more like the player's technique, not an effect. So much sound is in the hands of great players, not the processor!

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 25 June 2006 at 04:40 PM.]

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2006 3:52 pm    

All I hear on that clip is a clean guitar, single coil pickup, with maybe some light compression. Ditto on the above comments about technique. Snapping and popping goes a long way!
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2006 4:02 pm    

I'm with Doug, Ken, and (uh oh) Eric here. That sounds like a single coil pickup, maybe with both pickups on, a compressor, and a Princeton. Those Pods are great little modeling devices, but sometimes, you don't need a model---you need the real thing.
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2006 4:55 pm    

Thanks Eric for the settings. I'll try those.
Well you guys are more experienced than I am that's for sure, but I here a little fret buzz on that link above, and if you can get that with your hands, will somebody please tell me how to do it. I'll practice till I get it down.

And if if it takes a Hot rod Deville with 2x12s to help me get it, then I'll send this xt back,sell one of my Nashville 112's and buy a Hot Rod Deville, and get me a comp pedal or a used Pod 2.0. I'm serious, if that would get me closer, then I'll do it.

Terry

[This message was edited by Terry Sneed on 25 June 2006 at 06:02 PM.]

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2006 6:00 pm    

Terry if you like the fret buzz just lower your strings a wee bit until they rattle just a bit on the lower strings so that way when you pick the lower strings a little hard or even really hard you make the fret buzz really stand out. Now say you don't want that fret buzz sound on a slow pretty ballad the just lighten up on your touch when you play the lower strings and the fret buzz will not stand out so much.

It's really hard to interpret what you may be hearing or wanting to hear in your tone but maybe that will help. If not maybe I can play a few licks and email them to you and if you like them I can tell you exactly how I got it other than my touch because I don't know how to explain it :-)

Bob
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2006 7:43 pm    

Bob, thanks for the advice. I'd appreciate it very much if you could email me a sample of your tone. It may be just what I'm looking for.
It's not that the tone above is the only Tele tone I like, I like several Tele tones.
It just happened to be a sample on Musicians Friend. Thanks for your offer Bob.

Terry
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2006 2:27 am    

Terry, this is a nice little clip but I am from the school of..

it's more right hand technique than anything else..

It sounds single coil'ish..not real bright not real boomy..maybe mid pickup selector on a Tele or maybe even a Strat...

My ears think they hear a thumb pick but not finger picks...

but what the heck do they know, they can't even tune a Steel correctly !

t

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 26 June 2006 at 03:27 AM.]

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2006 3:46 am    

Lightly compressed Tele with reverb, 4-way switch in series position. A stock Tele 3-way isn't going to sound like that in any pickup position, although it will be close with a phase switch and a boost pedal - high grade, like a Klon - cranked up to make up for the signal and lows loss from the out-of-phase setting. Or you could go with a Strat in switch setting #4. Either way, roll off the tone control 20% at least.
Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2006 10:14 am    

Terry, the fret buzz you are refering to is actualy a bouncing of the string off of the fretboard.you can get this by pulling the string up with a finger and letting it hit the fretboard,called popping..The recommended way to do it is using a thumb pick for the muted base strings and your first finger to pull and pop the other strings.I use a flat pick and pull and pop with my middle finger.What ever works..Here is a web-site that will give you what you are looking for.You will have to use the dreaded Quick Time to view the videos.This is a very good site. freeguitarvidios.com ..instructor Peter Vogl.This should be your answer..Have fun..PJ

[This message was edited by Papa Joe Pollick on 26 June 2006 at 11:20 AM.]

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2006 10:25 am    

Terry, you will have to type in that address to get there..The link doesn't work right.sorry.
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2006 12:19 pm    

Thanks to all your replies. popa Joe, I also use a flat pick and middle finger. I just can't seem to work that first finger in there for some reason.
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
I think all of ya'll mentioned compression in the tone on the above link. How much compression would be enough?
another question, I think Tony has or use to have a Hot rod Deville with 2x12s. I'm sure some of you other guys have owned one. What would be the settings on the amp you guys would use to get a good Tele tone? Reason I'm asking is a friend of mine at church just bought a Hot Rod Deville with 4x10s. He told me I could plug into his amp and see if I like it, But I need to know how to set it for my Tele. Tony,and any of you guys, could ya'll help me on the settings for a good Tone. I use a flat pick and my middle finger. I'm to old to learn to play with just fingers like Tony does.

Terry

------------------
Mullen RP D10 /8x5 / Nashville 112/ American Tele
pickin for Jesus

[This message was edited by Terry Sneed on 26 June 2006 at 01:47 PM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2006 1:21 pm    

I'm of the same opinion as Ken Fox...I ain't no Tele expert, but that just sounds like guitar-amp...no EFX. I don't detect any compression really, but I do hear the buzz/snap caused by either a low action or the hard-picking/pulling up slightly on the strings. IMHO, that's certainly not advanced guitar work, and shouldn't give anyone a problem that has played lead for a couple of years. Get all the notes down, practice it about 50 times, and then work on the bass-string technique-sound. I agree with the one-pick aspect too, but it's hard to tell if it's a flat pick or a thumb pick.

Stuff with a relatively simple sound like that shouldn't require a processor, just someone who knows how to play the guitar. In my mind, gizmos should never be used to substitute for a technique you can do with your hands.

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 26 June 2006 at 02:32 PM.]

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2006 6:22 am    

Hi Terry, somehow I forgot this thread but I'll get you a couple of samples later today. I hope it will help.

Bob
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2006 2:25 pm    

Thanks Bob, I appreciate it.

Terry
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2006 5:33 am    

Dagnabbit Terry, I'm still working on getting you those clips I got tied up with a client yesterday afternoon sorry.

Bob