| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Where is the link to the re - tweeding site?
Jake L

Grapevine, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2006 3:02 pm    

Someone once posted a link to a very instructional site on recovering an amp with tweed. I have searched for it, but have had no luck finding it. Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Jake Lowe
Bob Lawrence

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2006 6:10 pm    

Try this old post: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/008611.html
Jake L

Grapevine, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2006 8:31 pm    

That's good info, but the one I saw had pictures taken during each step of the process.As this will be my first attempt, I could really use those pictures.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2006 2:22 am    

The Tolex tutorial must be gone. When I click on the link I get a "not found" error.

I just finished a project (Nashville 112 - pictures are on a recent post in this section) using Tweed Tolex I bought from Antique Radio Supply, including the "WBBC" Tolex adhesive that works better than anything else I've used - and I've done a lot of cases and coverings. The only thing with the WBBC adhesive is to coat both the wood and the tolex, allow it to "dry" (about 15 - 20 minutes) before applying the Tolex to the wood and smooting it out and pressing out any air bubbles. Cover the outside of the case first and then work on the corners and sides. The corners are basically "trial and error" to see what will work best with the particular material. Use some scrap wood and some scrap Tolex and work on the corners until you get them the way you want. It doesn't have to be "neat" at the corer if you are using metal "corners" on the equipment, as like wood molding, it hides any imperfections. As far as covering the cabinet, I didn't have a long enough piece to completely wrap the cabinet, so I used one piece for everything except the bottom (but enough to wrap around the bottom about 1") - this is not real critical but the bottom piece should fill up the cabinet opening and the "wrap around" piece will be used for the corners.

Although I've built many cases, including steel guitar cases, rack cases, steel seats, etc., every one presents different issues when covering, depending on the covering material(vinyl, carpet, tolex, etc) and especially the corners.

ADDED: Here is the link to my Nashville 112 cabinet post and pictures. http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/008989.html

[This message was edited by Jack Stoner on 18 June 2006 at 03:24 AM.]

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2006 4:28 pm    

Here's pictures of a cabinet I built for an old Session 400 a few months back and covered with tweed. This was my firt attempt at tweed covering, I had done several cabinets with vinyl and carpet. I used contact cement from Home Depot to glue the tweed to the cabinet. Like Jack, the material would not wrap all the way around the cabinet, so I slightly overlapped the bottom on each side, then used another piece to cover the bottom.

I gave it several coats of clear lacquer to protect it somewhat from stains etc. This also gave it an antique look. BTW, the cabinet is solid pine with dovetailed corners, not plywood. This anp sounds great.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording