| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RV-3 Question
Dale Dorsey

Granger, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2006 8:30 pm    

Does anyone have an opinion on the RV-3. I would love to get a half-a-hair delay, and a little nicer sounding verb. However, I don't want any tonal loss or change. Is it possible with these? Thks
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2006 9:38 pm    

I used an RV–3 for a while, however; the reverb is preset and I found that I couldn't control the blend of Delay & Reverb to suit my taste! If I increased the Delay~Vol. the Reverb also changed and visa~versa! I would prefer a unit that had seperate control over each effect.

------------------
“Big John”
a.k.a. {Keoni Nui}
’05 D–10 Derby
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15”
Current Equipment

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2006 2:59 am    

I tried four different, new, RV-3's and gave up. Along with what John said about the lack of reverb adjustment, I found they all slightly changed the tone of the steel (took some "body" away). I may have been able to change the EQ on the amp to compensate for it but the unit should not change the tone at all.

I have a DD-5 delay and there is no difference in the steel sound with our without the DD-5 plugged in, or with the DD-5 in bypass. That's how an effect unit should work. (I don't use the DD-5 anymore - I went to a POD XT which does not change the tone either).
Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2006 6:26 am    

Dale,
Everybody has an opinion on whatever "contraption" comes down the pike--here's mine and if you do a search in Electronics, you'll find others on the RV-3: Simply this--to my ears, it works just fine thanks--now to a pro, maybe not, but you'll more than likely find some pros who have used it and like it. For +/- $100.00, give it a shot-you can always get all if not most of your money back. If you get one, again check the Electronic section to search for the most "common" settings. Good luck--Carl
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2006 6:50 am    

Since the RV3 has been discontinued, some players are going with the RV5 (reverb only) together with a DD5 or 6 for delay.
Duane Dunard

Troy, MO. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2006 12:05 pm    

Loyd Green's RV-3 settings were once posted on this Forum. Good enough for me.
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2006 1:17 pm    

Duane; As I've informed Dale in an e-mail, Lloyd Green has apparently found an acceptable setting, so; it can't be all bad! I just couldn't find it for myself! The reason would have to be that we have slightly different tastes! Lloyd’s taste is always good, mine is questionable¡ Just l©©king at me, you can tell; that same thing goes for my eating~habits!

------------------
“Big John”
a.k.a. {Keoni Nui}
’05 D–10 Derby
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15”
Current Equipment

David Kurrasch

Royse City, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2006 7:44 pm    

I've used an RV-3 as my only effect for the past six years. Works great for me, and I get lots of compliments from soundmen and other players on my tone. I just dread the day that mine finally goes out, and I have to find something to replace it. When I originally purchased it, I compared it to just about every other option that was available at the time. I went with the RV-3 because it has a nice reverb and delay, with no dectectable noise, or alteration of the steel tone. A lot of the other units I tried added AC hum or distortion. As others have pointed out, it's not extremely versatile; you don't get to control all of the effect parameters individually. Still, it gets me the sound I'm looking for.
Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2006 2:14 pm    

Dale,

I have an RV-3. I bought it probably less than 11/2 years ago. They don't make them anymore.
I, like yourself, was looking for a better reverb than the one that came with my Peavey Vegas 400.

After reading a lot of Forum posts about digital reverb units, I decided on the RV-3.

At 1st it was great. Many reverb/echo/delay combo variations along with depth and all the other nuances are available in this unit.

But, after you might say the honeymoon wore off, I started realizing that, to my ears,
I just couldn't get to that old "Fender" reverb sound. That's what I was looking for.

The RV had a hard edge. Blarey. To my ear.

I'm not a big nut on delays and echos and all kinds of effects.

But to cut to the chase, I heard about the Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb right here, as I did the RV, and decided to, yet again, go and try it out. I did, and love it. It's what I've been looking for. It's a simple unit. 3 toggle settings and 1 main volume knob. Walwart included in a nice jointed wooden box and all for under $100.

2 settings are reverb; the 3rd is reverb with a bit of a wash.

But it sounds and has the warmth of old Fender reverb spring pans.

It's only reverb.
Dale Dorsey

Granger, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2006 4:58 pm    

Guys, thank you for the info. I went ahead and bought one to try off ebay. I think it is the older version (gray) and heard they were a little better. Who knows? If it cuts my tone, I'll sell it, because I am in love with my tone now and can't imagine anything different. Just need a tiny bit of delay and the old Fender spring reverb sound, sounds great. We'll see. Thanks again.
Chick Donner

North Ridgeville, OH USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2006 8:59 am    

Put me in with John Bechtel (Hi John!). RV 3 is nice little box, but I just couldn't get "that sound" that I wanted from it. I am still looking for something to throw in the back of the N112 for jams and such that has delay and chorus.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2006 9:10 am    

I use an RV-3 and love it. I use setting #7. I must be missing something because the delay knob controls the echo and the feedback knob controls the reverb. I think they're great.
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2006 9:35 am    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 31 January 2006 at 01:42 PM.]

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2006 12:45 pm    

Kevin, I think the point was that on setting #7, which is apparently the popular steel setting, you don't have any control over the balance between reverb and delay. That's fixed. You do have control over the overall wet/dry factor, but the two middle knobs only control the number of delay repeats and the delay time, but you can't alter the proportion of delay vs. reverb. It's still a good setting in my book. I done heard Lloyd make it sound real, real perty.

But, it's true that the RV-3 does kind of take something away from the overall tone. It's not major, but I can hear it. I haven't been able to get anyone to confirm it for me, but I suspect that the dry signal path in the RV-3 is also being digitized. Some pedals mix the reverb effect in with an analog dry path. Other devices convert everything to digital, mix it, and convert it all back to analog at the output. That may be what I'm hearing. All in all, that little pedal makes for a nice big soundscape.

Brad
Mark Metdker

North Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2006 5:11 am    

It's the only effects device I use. I love it.