| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Hassle ?
Rodney Garrison

Montague County , Texas (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2006 3:22 pm    

I need to start thinking about an upgrade for my volume pedal. I have 5 yrs. and 4 pot. replacements on this one. Is this the norm. I play everyday but do not gig but once a month. Any input is apperciated.
RG
John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2006 4:37 pm    

There have been a lot of posts about not being able to find good pots.
Maybe you CAN find a good pot. My personal decision was to buy a Hilton pedal and never again have those problems.
After getting fed up with pot problems, some of my friends have now become believers in the Hilton pedal. Check it out here:
http://www.hiltonelectronics.net/
Rodney Garrison

Montague County , Texas (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2006 6:04 pm    

John,
this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for your reply. I often see a Hilton for sale and I wonder why? I hear very good things about this volume pedal, but does anyone have any negatives about it. W.C. is sending me a KOOL SEAT and now I need a dependable foot rest. Where do I go?
RG
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2006 2:54 am    

You can buy one directly from Keith or several Steel Guitar "stores" sell them such as Bobbe Seymour's Steel Guitar Nashivlle, Herby Wallace, etc.

Like John, (both of us are electronics tech's), I too have given up on the pot volume pedals because of poor replacement pots and went to a Hilton about two years ago. No more hassle with a pot and no potential for the pulley string to break.
John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2006 7:56 am    

Rodney,with reference to negatives about the Hilton pedal: I have seen a few forum members complain about the fact that the Hilton power cord cannot be disconnected from the pedal. Keith has explained that. Keith was looking for dependability, something that wasn't going to break on the job. I, personally,like the idea. I am able to give a qualified endorsement for the pedal and the man. I have known Keith Hilton for many years. I recently visited with him and we discussed his pedal while I toured his shop where he builds the pedal. While the Hilton pedal is extrememly reliable, anything can sometimes develop a problem (Murphys Law). If a problem should arise, you can count on Keith to resolve it asap. If you decide to purchase a Hilton pedal, you will be delighted with the sound and performance and pot problems will be a thing of the past.

------------------
www.phelpscountychoppers.com/steelguitar

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2006 12:07 pm    

Yup Rodney, the Hilton is the way to go.

I played every week, and for the early part 5-7 nights a week for 24-5 years with an EB Pot pedal. I always got at LEAST two years of steady hard paying out of the old Allen Bradley Type EJ Extra life pots. They had a "break in" period of about 6 months for tiny scratch sounds and then they smoothed out, finally wearing the brushes out but only after a few hundred hard gigs.

About 4 years ago or so I couldn't find pots that were worth a crap.

I first plugged in the Hilton, noticed that through whatever process, I was FINALLY getting the full signal as if it came directly out of the steel output. Up about 20-30 percent from the EB. Finally NO EQ change all the way up and down too. No "Roar" when the pedal got accidentally pegged, and even more volume when played. If it's "Active" I don't care. It WORKS.

Ever since I got the Hilton, the EB has been a Spiderhouseā„¢ under my printer near my steel in the basement.

I don't do many 5 niters anymore, but the Hilton gets used every weekend, and I haven't had a single problem with it.

Worth every penny.

EJL
Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2006 12:15 pm    

I got my Hilton last week, used it out this weekend, and I really like it. Before you buy one, check with Fred Justice Music. While the price is the same every where, Fred has the best deal on shipping.

------------------
Wish I'd learned lap steel when I still had a lap.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2006 2:54 pm    

Rodney you might want to consider the Goodrich LDR pedal as well -- which is a powered pedal also. 2 inputs and 2 outputs -- and excellent in both operation and the tone/sound it delivers. The power plug is removeable, and also available for international voltages.
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2006 3:12 pm    

I tried out the Goodrich and the Hilton for a week and went with the Goodrich LDR, it just sounded a little sweeter to my ear. They are both excellent pedals .
David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2006 4:33 pm    

Can't say I've used the LDR, but Goodrich has been making VPs a really long time, and I have a Goodrich battery powered pedal I use for quick on-off gigs.... but read my signature....I really cannot describe how much better my tone improved with the Hilton Pedal.... now ask me about Brad's Black Box :-)

------------------
Dave Wren
'95Carter S12-E9/B6,7X7; Twin Session 500s; Hilton Pedal; Black Box
www.ameechapman.com

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2006 4:39 pm    

Hi David, I went from a Goodrich 10k pedal (Battery job) to the LDR and noticed a huge improvement in my sound....I have never used or seen a Hilton so couldn't make a comparison, but from what I have read on here they seem to be very comparable!

[This message was edited by Paddy Long on 31 January 2006 at 04:40 PM.]