| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tone Shopping
Willie Crisel

Charlotte, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2006 10:15 pm    

been at it for the past few weeks, got a 75 or so emmons push pull with stock single coils,sounds great through any amp i have,also got a carter sd10 had what i think was a 10-1, which sounded good , but a little muddy, so i replaced it with a wallace true tone wound to 18.5,thanks Jerry, the amps i use are a 75 session, a late 70s ltd,and a new 112,the carter sounds verry good through the ltd and the session 400, but the 112 has a mid range freq,that i just can't seem to get rid of,,had another old ltd with a bw 1502 4 ohm speaker in it,so i hook this speaker up to the 112,and it sounds great,so i'm thinking i need to order a 12in bw for the 112? also can i use a 15in speaker that is 4 ohms,the speaker in the 112 is 4 ohms also,might build me a cabinet thoughts?? thanks.

------------------
MId seventies Push Pull D10 8 and 4, Peavey LTD Peavey Session 400 Ibanez analog delay

[This message was edited by Willie Crisel on 27 January 2006 at 10:16 PM.]

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2006 6:26 am    

Willie, it is my opinion that the NV112 is popular because of the reduced weight compared to the NV400. Will the BW speaker add weight to the amp?
Did you try backing the "shift" control to about 10 o'clock ? This seems to give me a better sound. I set the "mid" control to about 12 o'clock.
It seems that the "shift" and "mid" controls produce more change in the sound than any of the other controls.
As I turn the mid and shift ccw, I get a more brilliant sound. Turning them cw gives me a deader sound.

------------------
www.phelpscountychoppers.com/steelguitar

Michael Garnett

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2006 8:06 am    

Try Tubes. Black Box, Mesa Boogie pre (Jeremy Moyers has one for sale right now), Brad's Pre, and find a good poweramp. Black Widows tend to make a lot of mids and highs, you might try a more mellow sounding speaker as well, like a JBL or an Eminence.

4 ohms should be just fine for any of those power amps you've mentioned.
Willie Crisel

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2006 8:44 am    

Thanks guys, i'm gonna get back at it today,got a gig tonight,it's back to the old ltd 'been thinking also the 112 is 3 weeks old,so speaker might not be broken in yet.and yes the bw will add weight,i also think that some guitars and amps just don't match well,
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2006 9:06 am    

Seems to be an amp question, so I've moved it to the "Electronics" section.
Willie Crisel

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2006 4:54 pm    

Got me a head made for the 112, put a jack in the back to plug into a black widow 1502, i'm happy sounds much better to me. 2 peices to carry,but neither one is as heavy as am amp,thanks for all the advice. willie.