| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 112 Hum
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2005 5:38 pm    

I bought this amp new from Bobbe Seymour and it has had a Hum in it ever since I got it. I turned the Reverb around and it is still there. If I turn the Reverb way down to 1 I don't get the hum.Any Idears what it can be. It is driving me crazy.the hum that is. Yiou can hear it when you are playing and there has to be some ting wrong with it.
Sam White
Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2005 7:43 pm    

Sam, i just bought one from Bobbe about 2 weeks ago, and mine did the same thing, but it does'nt have any thing to do with Bobbe. peavey said some do it some don't. they are trying to figure out what the problem is. I have 2 112s one is 2yrs old. I have noticed one thing,iv'e been useing a pot pedal for the last 2 weeks,(my hiton is being checked out)and i've had to put an adapter on the new one when useing it to get rid of the hum, but plugged straight in to the amp (no pedal)the hum is gone, but it dosn't bother the older amp regardless of what i do, don't make since.

[This message was edited by Roger Francis on 20 October 2005 at 08:44 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2005 2:50 am    

Do you have anything with AC power close to the rear of the amp where the reverb pan is? e.g. an AC power strip or is the amp close to a wall AC power outlet? That can induce hum into the reverb. Reverb pans - in all amps, not just Peavey or Peavey Nashville 112's - are notorious for pickup up "induced" AC from a close source. Having worked as an amp tech, I've seen it in Fender Twins, Ampeg's, etc.

Not "all" of the 112's have the hum problem. There are 6 Nashville 112's being used at our club jams - all bought at different times - and none of them have the hum problem (including mine tht was bought in February of this year).
Dennis Stambaugh

New Oxford,Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2005 4:37 am    

Hey Sam, I and many others have the same problem.Some have it and some don't.Talked to Mike Brown at Peavey a couple of times and really can't get a answer.He told me to switch the reverb pan wires around, nothing,Then It was take the pan out and sit behine the amp. That helped some.What kind of solution is that?Someone suggest Ac in line filter.Start with you shouldn't have to have one.Then they think it's the metal used to make the pan. He said try laying a piece of metal over the pan.If that doesn't work he said take it to Peavey repair shop.Maybe they think it's not that big of a deal.Just my opinion !
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2005 5:49 am    

Dennis, removing the pan and sitting it on the floor behind the amplifier was not what I was recommending as a "solution". The purpose was to identify what is causing the hum in your amp, the close proximity to the speaker or the pan itself, etc..

I call these symptoms "ghosts in the machine". However, there will be a minimum amount of hum in any amp where all of the electronics are in one small package.

Please e-mail the serial number of your amplifier for reference purposes and I will be glad to look into this further.

Thanks,
Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2005 10:33 am    

Had one recently that way. Reverb pan was plugged in backwards! I confirmed that by checking which connectors were the reverb return at the amp. Sure enough it was plugged in wrong! Easy fix, just removed the connector at the amp and reversed it. Quiet as church mouse after that.

Do not reverve the wires at the pan! Other wise you have to reverse the pans direction in the amp, that will cause hum as well!!

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 21 October 2005 at 11:36 AM.]

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 21 October 2005 at 11:38 AM.]

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2005 11:01 am    

Ken...I tried what you're talking about, but the plug on mine will only go in one way!
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2005 12:37 pm    

The one I had was a Panduit brand connector. White in color and went onto square stake pins. It was easily reversed, that's how it got messed up in production!
Buck Reid

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2005 12:41 pm    

I've been using two 112's for about a year,both recording and live and have experienced no problems with hum. You might consider checking your cables and as already mentioned,the proximity of various power supplies to your volume pedal and the amp itself.
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2005 2:20 pm    

When received my 112 had a hum that would appear only when the reverb was above 4. Mike helped me to solve the problem.

First, the pan was inserted upside down in the vinyl cover, and the cover was not attached to the cabinet.

Unit was removed, inserted upright, and the cables plugged into the right jack, vinyl cover screwed down as far away from the speaker as possible, and the hum totally disappeared. I've had emails from others who have had the same, or similiar problems with the reverb units. My .02 worth.
Phred
Doyle Mitchell

Loraine, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2005 4:32 pm    

Sam, I bought two new 112's last month, one was quite and one hummed when the reverb ws on. I tried turning the reverb pan but that did not help. I have not worried too much about it because I use the one that hums as a slave and do not pick up the hum using only the power amp, but if you should find out what the cause may be I would thank you for shooting me an e mail so I can correct mine also. Right now it's no big deal for me but if I ever were to use it as a single it would be too noisy to tolerate. Thanks in advance.
Craig Mckinnon

Inverness, Highland, Scotland
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2005 1:51 pm    

I have had the same problem with hum on the reverb of my Nashville 112. Its been back to the dealer & back to Peavey HQ in the UK who say the amp is OK & the level of hum is completely normal. Given the number of people with the same problem & Doyles post about having one amp with a hum, & one without make me wonder if this is the case.
Mike Brown

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2005 8:35 am    

I have checked a few things with the Nashville 112 this week and out of curiosity, I turned the reverb control up on a Steel King and it had a buzz that was a loud or louder than the hum in question on the Nashville 112 amp. Just an observation.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2005 12:58 pm    

A couple of thoughts. Having been an amp tech (I ran the Ampeg factory service center in Nashville in the early 70's).

Reported problems are not always what is reported and many times it turns out to be something other than the amp.

Second, what is "loud" hum to one person is not even an issue to someone else. Just like now, working on PC's, one may complain about loud fans in a PC and another customer with loud fans doesn't have a problem.

This is not to say that there aren't legitinate problems.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2005 12:58 pm    

A couple of thoughts. Having been an amp tech (I ran the Ampeg factory service center in Nashville in the early 70's).

Reported problems are not always what is reported and many times it turns out to be something other than the amp.

Second, what is "loud" hum to one person is not even an issue to someone else. Just like now, working on PC's, one may complain about loud fans in a PC and another customer with loud fans doesn't have a problem.

This is not to say that there aren't legitinate problems.
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2005 3:58 pm    

When I say it HUMS IT HUMS LOUD. If I put the Reverb up to 8 it almost drowns out my Steel that is if I play the steel soft in my Steel Room so I don't drive my wife out of the house.The more you turn the Reveb up the louder the hum.If I use my Profex I don't get a Hum as I turn the reveb all the way down.If I use my RV-3 and my Izzy Plus with reverb on it hums louder if you turn it up.
Sam White
Mike Brown

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2005 5:17 am    

Samuel, check my post of today. Thanks.
Mike Shockley

Lufkin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2005 6:24 pm    

Mike Brown,
Can you just unplug the reverb in the NV112 and take it away, and get rid of the hum. For reverb I use a lexicon mpx110. Thanks--Mike
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2005 2:27 am    

See my comment to your other post. Running the reverb at 8 is unrealistic. That's way higher than is useable for reverb. The "normal" range is about 4. I doubt that you will find an amp that won't have some hum with the reverb turned way up.
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2005 5:37 pm    

Ken I don't even use spring reverb. But I have to ask because I know your reputation as an amp guy.

You wrote:
Quote:
Do not reverve the wires at the pan! Other wise you have to reverse the pans direction in the amp, that will cause hum as well!!

I know I'm missing something here. But what's the difference if you reverse it at the amp. Just trying to educate myself..bb