| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  dobro on E9th
Mel Davis

Addison, Maine, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2005 4:12 pm    

What is the best way to get a dobro sound on E9th I have heard of using a wooden bar, any info would be appreciated . thanks Mel
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2005 4:13 am    

I use a phase shifter thats in my Boss SE-50 processor, of which I have three of. I have 'twinked' it up over the years & it sounds real good, make sure you don't have reverb or delay on. I use the old SE-50 after an old Profex that I have. I did have a Goodrich MatchBro, but sold it real fast after finding out all need is a good phase shifter that you can change parameters a little bit. SE-50 are on E-Bay all the time.

Ernie Pollock http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75/stock.htm

------------------
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2005 6:14 am    

I use a Goodrich Super MatchBro to get good results. Besides the MatchBro, I use the plastic bar that they send with the unit and also turn off all effects.
Erv
Steve Howard

High Ridge, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2005 9:04 am    

Boss GE-7 (Equalizer pedal). Every other frequency all the way up, every other frequency all the way down. Adjust to taste. Does the trick for about $40 used.
Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2005 4:54 am    

That's all OK for getting the basic tone but the strings are just too thin to give you much of a good dobro sound if you use any of the first four or five strings. The thicker stirngs on the C6 neck will get you closer to the dobro sound or if you don't have a C6 neck lower the low B to G# with the same lever that lowers your D to a C# and hold down the b pedal and that will almost get you there too.
Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2005 10:50 am    

Another worthwhile piece of advice no matter which neck you are on is stay off the pedals, i.e. no AB squeezes, lots of hammerons and pulloffs, (provided the song's key will allow it) will be helpful in creating a more authentic dobro vibe. Some nice in tune slants will help too.

Gerald