| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  VS II Tuner Question....Newman Presets
Ronnie Acton

Clifton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2005 4:36 am    

Does the tuner have settings for both E9 & C6? Also are the settings just open string tunings or does it have readings for pedals and knees programed also?
Leon Roberts

Tallahassee,FL USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2005 5:27 am    

Ronnie, The VS-II has both E-9th and C-6th presets according to Jeff Newman. The programs also cover the common pedal and knee lever changes. The VS-II allows you to tune any way you choose.
Leon
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 May 2005 5:32 am    

It has the E9th and C6th (basically) Newman settings with the E's referenced at +10 cents - not "0". The most common pulls are also programmed.

There are also two memories that you can use to program your own settings and what I use for my Franklin. I don't like the +10 cents (+2.5hz) and you may have to compensate a string or two so your guitar is in tune with itself. e.g. on my Franklin the Newman settings call for the 3/5 string pulls (G# to A) at -6 cents (-1.5hz)in reference to the open E's but I find -2 cents (-.5 hz) is the optimum for my guitar.

Everything except the E9th 4th string C pedal pull a full tone (E to F#) and the C6th bass C string can be programmed into the memories. All my pedals/knee lever changes except as noted are programmed.

The reason is that only 1 note can be programmed (or at least that I've ever found - if someone knows how to get two different settings for one note let me know). e.g. on the C6th neck the 3rd and 7th string C's are one setting but the 10th string C is a different setting. The memory will only allow one C programming.
David Deratany

Cape Cod Massachusetts
Post  Posted 24 May 2005 7:59 am    

Can't you put one C on program 1 and the other on program 2, or am I missing something?
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 May 2005 8:04 am    

David, the C6th bass C string and it's D raise and A lower are tuned differently too. I already have a C note programmed into my E9th chart (and it's at -4, where the bass C note for the C6th is set to -8 for my guitar to be in tune with itself).

If you didn't have a C note programmed into the E9th you could use that, but it doesn't really buy you much as you still have to make a manual tuner setting change and then it has to be manually set for the D and A changes.