| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carter Pickup Choices ??'s
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2004 6:18 am    

My Carter has the George L TW pickups and they are OK. I'm having a little trouble dialing in some of the growl I miss from my P/P (I know, I know

I have a pair of BL 705's here I was going to try before ordering some Truetones .

The 705's are 20.3 and 19.9 k/ohms. Would it better to put one or the other on the E/C neck?

thx

bob
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2004 7:03 am    

Hi Bob, with those particular readings on the same type of pickup, I don't beleive there would be a noticable difference in sound. Generally, the higher dc ohms would work better with the c-6 and the lower dc ohms would work better with the e-9. If memory serves me correctly, the stock s/c on a p/p is around 15k or 16k dc ohms. If you went with the True tones I would have Jerry wind the e-9 at 18.5k and the c-6 19.5k. You will notice a positive difference in the sound. Can't pass up the oppurtunity to ask, if you decide to part with those 705's, please let me know! Have a great weekend.
Dave
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2004 8:00 am    

On my Carter I received in January,2004.
I ordered it with the TrueTones, but they were not right for me.
On previous Carters, I had the TPP or the TW pickups.
I tried both of these on the new Carter and like you, the TW sounded really good but was missing something.

I had some old Lawrence 805's but did not like them either.

I had John send me the Lawrence XR16's and they made my steel come alive.

Many people raved about them at the Chattanooga show and at other shows. So I have found my match.

Just my opinion.
Bill Ferguson
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2004 8:05 am    

I always reserve the right to look for something else for no good reason but after a good handful of pickups that sounded from good to excellent but still had me moving on, I also have stuck with the XR16's for a couple of years now. A couple of years = a keeper, I guess.
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2004 8:13 am    

I agree with Jon. After 705's, my next favorite pickup is also the xr-16! Outstanding range and gives that crisp clear sound!
Dave
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2004 8:13 am    

Thanks, Guys

I wonder how much the 705's differ from the XR16 and in what way?

thx

bob
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2004 8:04 pm    

OK. Guys

I got the 705's mounted but they are sitting too high even screwed down all the way (Not even 2 quarters) The problem I think is that the plate is sitting on the pickup wire because the hole for the George L is in the middle and the 705 is on the end. I really didn't want to drill a new hole if I didn't have too. How far should the strings be from the 705's? The George L's were 1/4" from the PU to the top of the string.

Should I remove the springs and the metal plate that sits on the springs?

thx

bob
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2004 7:38 pm    

Success!!

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2004 9:19 pm    

Well, I tried them with the band last night and they were just OK. Actually seemed a little "flatter" than the TW's. Even my drummer, who has a good ear for steel tone said the Carter now sounded like "all the other steels" and lost some of it's "ring".

Saw Wayne Dahl on the fan fair show with his Carter/XR16's. Maybe I'll try those next

bob
Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2004 8:59 pm    

I gotta chime in here in favor of the XR-16s
I ordered a new Carter in 2003 w/TWs and sound wise could not get what I wanted at all. I talked to Bud and he sent me the XR-16s and that did it, it sounded like a different guitar after that!
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2004 9:07 pm    

Dyke,

Could you describe the difference and what your rig is?

thx

bob
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2004 12:07 am    

Sometimes, with pedal steels, it's the inherent sound of the steel that comes through, regardless of the pickup. On some steels that I have owned, there has been a sound to the decay of the note that I haven't liked. Now don't laugh at my solution, it cleans up the sound quite a bit. I put a small amount of grease under the offending strings (the thin plain ones) where they pass over the changer finger. I can get the string to ring out, but without the after-note unpleasantness that muddies up the tone, by carefully wiping away excess grease. As a by-product of this procedure, string life is extended as well.
R B.
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2004 6:29 am    

Bob,

Hope you are as happy with your BL 705s as I am, They really sound good to me. I was used to Emmons pickups and also an E-66 for a long time. I love the 705s on my Carter.

Enjoy!

------------------
Tim Harr - Carter D-10 8p & 9k w/ BL-705s; Webb 6-14E Amplfier

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2004 7:28 pm    

Bob, the difference I hear between the TW's and XR16s would be the XR16s seem brighter (especially on the wound strings), louder (a more "in yer face" kinda sound)and a bit "grainy" when you dig in. The TWs to me sounded kinda muddy, not much output. I have a wood body PP with 705s and it sounds good, but I like the XR16s a little better. I play through three different rigs (Vegas 400s w/ProfexII, Walker rig, DPC750) and the pickup sound is the same through all of them.