| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Evans 200SE, Problem, too many "Highs"
Gene H. Brown

Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2003 5:18 pm    

Hi Guys,
I just bought a new Evans 200SE and received it a couple of days ago. I was anticipating a Big Fat Sound and couldn't wait to plug in and let er rip. Well too my surprise, I couldn't believe the Highs that come out of that amp, if I would have had a pair of pliers I would have tryed to turn the Treble down lower than 0.
I am trying to figure out if it's a mis match with the BL710 pickup I am using and if anyone else has ran into this problem. I have a BL910 that I am going to put on this weekend and try that, I would not be able to play a gig the way it is.
I am not trying to say anything bad about Evans amps at all, I have heard nothing but great things about them, but there must be a solution to this problem. I have no problem getting Lows out of this amp, it just has too many Highs for my taste the way it is, maybe it will be different with the BL910 pickup. If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to help me out on this, that amp cost me a lot of money and I love the weight of it, got to fix the problem.
Thanks
Gene
Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2003 6:00 pm    

Gene, I have found the same thing with my SE 200. Do you have the Deltalite speaker in yours? I have a 66 Bolt-on p/p with TT p/ups and find I can only use the treble at 1 on the dial. Any more than that and the tone is too shrill, and this is after an amp tech friend has reduced the highs. I like amps with the tone controls that can be set at the midway point and either boosted or cut to suit. I like the Evans, nicely built, very light with the Neo magnet speaker, but I wish they would get their tone controls in a little more useable range....IP
Gene H. Brown

Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2003 6:10 pm    

Hi Ivan,
The speaker in this 200SE is the 15" Eminence
speaker, and I am with you on this, I wish there was more control over the Tone controls. With the BL710 pickup, I had the Treble at 0 and it was still too schrill and it didn't matter what you did with any other controls, it didn't make a difference. Thanks for the reply
Gene
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2003 6:59 pm    

Try turning the treble to 1 and then Bass on 9 and body on 9 with no depth or expand switched in. Experiment with the expand & depth controls. However, leave the treble on 1 or even zero when using these controls.

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 12:06 am    

I recently went from a Great sounding Webb To a new Evans SE200 For weight reasons, at first I was really dissapointed, Its taken me several months to find the lows that I like with a lacquer w/wood necks guitar 710 pickups & Hilton pedal. I now am very happy with my tone again! Its all there, but you have to find it. I turn the Master up high & then adjust the Volume! Leave the Scruff OFF! au
Duane Dunard

Troy, MO. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 4:28 am    

I agree with Al. The trick to finding the best tone is in the two volume control settings and the depth control. I adjust the amp from start-up at arms length, so I can tweek the settings while the chords are still ringing. Set the pre and master volumes the same about #5, bass about #9, treble very low(about2). Play a wide spread chord like 4 6 10, and while the chord is still ringing, turn the expand clockwise until you hear the sound that is close to what you want. Repeat the chord while turning the depth control clockwise, then touch-up the treble. These 200 watt amps sound great at high volume levels. At home, a small practice amp wins.The L-710 is a very strong pick-up that can sound a little hard but should be fine. Don't give up on the Evans, when adjusted properly they are awsome.
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 6:36 am    

I agree guys. The tone is there but you have to do a little knob twisting to get it there. It's the best amp I ever owned. Also the customer support I got from Duane when I got it was out of this world.
Lefty Schrage

West Union, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2003 4:17 pm    

Gene - I agree with Al and Duane that the treble control needs to be turned down to 1-2 or the highs can be too thin. But the thing that helped me fatten up the highs was the installation of TT pickups. Like you, I had 710's (and feel they are a great pickup) but finally concluded they were, in fact, contributing to the problem of thin highs. Based on my experience, I now feel that there must be truth to comments I've read that there is a frequency trade-off with humbucking pickups. So, the single-coil TT pickups really made a dramatic difference in improving not only the tone of the highs but across the entire tonal spectrum. ...lefty
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2003 2:43 pm    

Lefty NOW you got It! In my experience humbuck pickups cut about 10% of the frequency (high and low). It's a trade off. Less hum equals less tone IMHO. Unless you are recording straight to the board and not using an amplifier, the hum can be controlled in the studio as well. Just keep the foot pedal off when you are not playing and it won't hum. All the classic steel instrumentals were done with single coil pickups. Ok, I'll shut up now.
John Lazarus

Tucson, AZ.
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2003 8:44 am    

Gene, I have a couple of LV500 Evans and I love them. A couple of tricks I've learned is to use input 2 rather than 1 if your amp has it. This can cut some highs. Second, the BL710 is a great p/u but it is much hotter than most others! Bobbe s. told me the trick of lowering the 710 way down in the guitar. A mouse could limbo between my strings and pickup. I get it as low as possible then adjust the 710 up until I get optimal tone. This can also include tilting the p/u so that the 710 is either higher or lower on either end. If you have an old 710 in your guitar, they are even hotter than the newer units being built in recent years.
Report back.