| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Classic 50? for Mike Brown
KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2003 11:33 pm    

Hi Mike, Regarding the Classic 50 head,Does this one lean toward a Fender,or a Marshall tone? Does it break up quick,or is there plenty of headroom for good clean tone with punch? Even like a fat Jazz tone.I'm wanting to get a all-tube head for a cabinet I'm having built,and I'm going to put a 15" EV-Lead guitar speaker in.I read that the classic 50 has EL84 tubes. I like the clean headroom of 6L6's.Thank's in advance.
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2003 3:42 am    

I use a Classic 50/50 stereo head. I put Tesla 84s in it. No breakup when it's pushed to the limit. Great tone. I don't know how the tone compares to other tube amps.
Dennis
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2003 5:43 am    

The Classic 50 has the "classic" type of equalization which just about all amplifier manufacturers have used at one time or another in their amp designs. If I had to compare manufacturers designs and sounds, I would say that the Classic amps are similar to the Fender clean tone.

The Classic 50 is a fifty watt amplifier, so when fifty watts is reached, it can distort(just like any other conventional amplifier will). But, back when Curly Chalker was living, I worked with him out of our Nashville office and two Classic 50's were the amps of his choice. So, I would think that this setup would be good, but remember that it is 100 watts total which is about 100 watts less than any pro type of steel amp that we have manufactured.

If you wish to discuss this further, I can be reached at 1-877-732-8391.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation