| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which pays off the best for you?
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2001 7:36 pm    

Have you noticed? Do you get more adoration and/or compliments when you play lap steel OR, when you play pedal steel? There is something quite mystical about the steel guitar and there must be a pay-off somewhere.
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2001 9:58 pm    

I'm still waiting for the adoration.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2001 10:48 am    

The first night I took my newly acquired Rick Bakelite out to play a job, it was with a new band. The members didn't know me from Adam. As I passed in front of the stage with my Rick tucked under my arm, one of the wanna-be musicians looks down and with an absolutely ugly tone in his voice remarked:
"We don't use fiddles in this group!" It broke my heart and the rest of the evening was the pits. They didn't even have the talent to recognize the fabulous tone of this little antique guitar. Oh well.
mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 12:45 pm    

C'mon Ray...if you want adoration...get a Les Paul and a Hiwatt Stack!!!!...seems that's what groupies are looking for...a musician seems more amazed at a good non pedal player than a peddler...actually most non players think if you use pedal steel, you're not "really" playing...it's the pedals...(hey, maybe it's true!)
Mike
Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 2:21 pm    

A Les Paul and a Hiwatt stack? You're dating yourself, Mikey. Try a pair of turntables and a mixer, or maybe just an expensive wardrobe and plastic surgery. You'll never get yourself on MTV with that attitude, my friend.
mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 4:54 pm    

MTV?....I'm thinking VH1!!!(MTV caters to 12 year olds..that would be ...uh...illegal...VH1 is more my Demographic)....and if I was dating myself...I'd say EH-150 and matching amp!!!Oddly enough, it's amazing how many single women come to Hawaii these days, expecting god knows what to make their vacation complete....and most steel players(at the hotel gigs at least) are a LOT older than me!!!
Mike
PS...Doesn't Pink Floyd use Hiwatts? and Have their own jet(s)...I'll pass on adoration for cash and a lear jet....
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 8:24 am    

Quote:
They didn't even have the talent to recognize the fabulous tone of this little antique guitar. Oh well.

Hey Ray -- hope you were just doing "fill-in" for that gig. There's NO way I'd play with a band with that attitude towards my chosen instrument. That would have been my first and last gig with that outfit.

I feel pretty fortunate with my new band, The Lap Dawgs. I get to play my Stringmaster, my six-string laps, guitar and switch off on bass chores (my first instrument, and one which I still love playing) with the other lap player by the name of Laptop Randy (GREAT delta-style lapsteel player). We do music covering old-school delta blues, arrangements of Big Band stuff, westernswing, cajun, honky-tonk, funk -- what a blast! The main guitarist is a very talented young guy of 25 who's a big Django and Jimmy Bryant fan, so we've been learning a bunch of Bryant/West stuff, too.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I don't play pedal steel (yet ), but haven't experienced much in terms of "adoration" in any case. About the only thing I get is for people to ask if we could "play some Brooks & Dunn, seeing as how we got that 'pedal steel'". Sigh...

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (Amaj9, C6, A6); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6) through an old Super Reverb or Deluxe; Melobar SLS lapsteel (open G); Chandler RH-4 Koa semi-hollow lapsteel (A6)