| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How would you extend a 6 string 6th tuning?
Keith Grubb

Petaluma, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2001 9:47 pm    

I was wondering how you guys would extend any basic 6th tuning? For example low to high: C E G A C E. I've found that having a D on the first string is pretty handy for playing melody and a low Bb is great for slipping in a dom. 7th chord.

Am I missing anything by not having a high G on the first string? What about Jerry Byrd's C6th/A7th: Low A C C# E G A C E? Is that low A handy to have?

I've got a triple neck so I've got a couple necks to work with. I'm sure there has been talk on this subject in the past but I was just curious if there were any new thoughts.

Thanks,

Keith
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 1:38 am    

Keith, I just started using C6/A7. Before that it was just C6 ( with pedals ). I have ( eight strings )high G on top and a low A and C#, no low C at all. Well depending on a tune, and tuning back to C takes about half a second, so... Anyway, I find that very useful. I heard, that this was Joaquin Murphy's main one, but to extended it even more, he also had two high "chromatic" strings on the bottom slot.
Jussi
Tony Harris

England
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 3:55 am    

I tried adding a D on top - it always seems to give you the note you need in melodies and licks on the top strings! Then I added a low A. This gives you the root to minor chords and to the 7th. Having said all that, I went back to 6-string - maybe because the 8-string guitar had very close string spacing and made bar-slants virtually impossible, and being a guitar-player my right hand never quite got used to having 8 strings to choose from.
Tony Harris.
nick allen

France
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 4:04 am    

I've been working on one with the tonic on top and at the bottom - in G, thus,
G B D E G B D G low to high
mainly because I like the "Open E" pattern on the top strings.
However, that A and C# at the bottom, with the fifth on top, sounds veerryy interesting!
A BIG A7 down there...
Darn it! I hate retuning, and am trying to settle on just one, and now you come along and get me thinking again. My own fault, for reading the Forum, I guess
Nick
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 7:03 am    

Well, on my T-8 a few weeks ago, I played a Hawaiian gig with me on guitar, and an older Hawaiian gentleman playing my steel.

I had the first neck (closest to body) tuned to A6, which he retuned to a LOW bass C13. I had the middle neck tuned to C6, with the high G on top, but he retuned THAT to some wild E13, which sounds way cool!

But, regarding your extension of the C6, I think the low bass C13 (using the string gauges for an A6 tuning) really, really works great. The one drawback I see by not having the high G on top is for playing tunes like San Antonio Rose, and the old Hank Williams' style honky-tonk stuff. I just do a backward slant for playing those adjacent 3rd-5th combos in that case (not easy, but doable).

TJW

[This message was edited by Todd Weger on 17 November 2001 at 09:11 AM.]

Ziggie

Freeland, Mi. USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 7:11 am    

I've been using an E13 tunning. low to high
D E G# B C# E I really like it but I wish I had another string tuned to B on the bottom so I could play 5ths behind a singer once in a while. I play with just a mandolin, bass, and drummer(no guitar when I play dobro or lap steel) Other then that I love this tunning. I can get 7ths, minors, and diminished chords very easy. I love diminished chords for turnarounds and this really gets it for that.
Ziggie
mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 12:39 pm    

I play in C13...so I add a Bb ...so either I put a bass C, Bb, then straight C6...I use that for Hawaiian music...if I'm playing Western Swing or Honky Tonk..I put the Bb on the bottom and a high G on top...short scale fender so I use a .013 for the G...but I prefer...having an E on top so normally it's C,Bb,C,E,G,A,C,E....Barney Issacs Tuning,
Mike