| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many use a compresser?
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 4:03 am    

How many use a compresser on their steels and what kind?

Larry Behm
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 6:47 am    

I use a Lexicon 200 that has a built in compressor that I use "slightly" along with some delay and chorus. I use a Tube Works unit with spring reverb for that effect.
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 7:23 am    

Me do.The one in my Roland GP-100.--------bb
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 7:54 am    

Hey Larry,
I'll trade you a Boss CS-3 Compressor/Sustainer for your Acoustic Simulater pedal if you are interested.
Pete Burak
503-452-3756
Peter

Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 8:28 am    

How many use a compressor?
I think exactly 2873 of us PSG players use a compressor. This inludes my Zoom 505II.
I still need to find a way to put it before my volume pedal, without destroying the Reverb. Any hints or suggestions?

------------------
Peter den Hartogh-Fender Artist S10-Remington U12-Hilton Volume Pedal-Gibson BR4 lapsteel-Guya "Stringmaster" Copy-MusicMan112RP-Peavy Rage158- - My Animation College in South Africa

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 9:29 am    

Dito to Bobby Boggs, however, since I learn more and more how to handle my boogie Studio pre-amp,finding there the nice sweet spots, the less I need to compress. Although, I miss it when I don't use it, but maybe it's just a kind of safety-idea

------------------
Click on the pic!

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 10:01 am    

QUESTION: What was it that drove you in the direction of wanting, acquiring and using a compressor?
Why do you use it now? WHAT does it do for you that your own technique can't do?
Are we listening to the REAL YOU.......or,
are we hearing a plastic, synthesized
resemblance(sp?) or what, already?
Just curious..... I have strong memories of the "old stuff" that made Jerry Byrd and Buddy Emmons household words in thousands of homes. HOW did they make it to stardom without all these new found gadgets.
For the sensitive ones here, I'm not being critical of anyone or any product that does what YOU want. I'm just sincerely curious about what it was that "hooked" you.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 10:10 am    

Moved to 'Electronics' section.
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 10:37 am    

I use a volume control pedal, it works really good and is a continuosly variable compresser, able to accomodate what ever is happening at that moment.
Gino Iorfida

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 10:45 am    

Good point, on saying about the volume pedal. That is ALL that a compressor is. An automatic volume control-- it detects the strength of the note, , lowers the volume when it's too high, and as the note decays, it gradually increases volume giving the appearance of more sustain, which is EXACTLY why a volume pedal is used on the pedal steel in the first place.

not to mention, putting a compressor AFTER a volume pedal would defeat it's purpose -- as you are trying to bring the volume up on the pedal, the compressor would be trying to bring it down, and vice versa...

Now on 6 string, I use it for effec, the fast attack causes the notes to have a more percussive 'pop' sound for chicken pickin' etc... but I never use it for 'sustain'.
Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 11:11 am    

Compressors have been used for a long, long time. The studio has used compressors "way back when" even when the player/singer may not have even realized. In more modern times, they have been made to accommodate us players indivdually outside of the studio in more portable forms.

Many Steel players have used/do use compressors and for various reasons from peak limiting,to "evening out" all the notes, and even in trying to gain more sustain or even more gain if needed. It can be used as an affect, as "some" guitar players use it, or so subtle that it is almost undiscernable.

I use mine, in the studio, "after" the volume pedal and only just little to help with "peaks" or in case I start to bare down a little too much. I don't like it to sound too "poppish or squished." It helps to add just a little sustain at the top end, too.

Too much compression or limiting can be a bad thing! And it can take a little of the dynamics away when playing "live", which may or may not be desirable. Also, it can affect tone as well, some of them worse than others!

If you use it before the pedal, it can be too drastic in some cases, which is why I prefer to run mine after the volume pedal.

They can help with keeping something after it from being driven too hard where without it there could be a distortion problem. I also like to make sure my compressor/limiter is "before" my tuner, too. I find it kind of helps hold the note a little longer for tuning sake.

There are many types available and at various price ranges from "cheap" to exhorbitant! And they're not for everyone! Some people like 'em, some don't, but with careful usage they can be an asset.

Hope this has been helpful.

Dave

[This message was edited by Dave Robbins on 16 April 2003 at 12:13 PM.]

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 1:57 pm    

The old engineer cats used to have a saying about compression---"If you can hear it-it's too much!"

Compressors are more a tool for recording than for live use. If used live, they are too often used for an "effect" that puts a limit on the dynamic range of the instrument and sometimes provides a "crutch" for obtaining more sustain.

In as much as the old steelers not using them, I can guarantee you that even if they may have not used them on the live recording date, there was compression on the recording due in part to the mastering, lathe cutting, tape saturation, tube mics and consoles etc. Rarely will you ever hear a totally compression free recording. The most abused use of compression is at radio stations which use compressors to smash signals before they are amplified by the transmitter to make for a more powerful signal.

As another poster pointed out the use of fast compression is pretty cool for the chicken picking thing. The compressor allows you to snap the string very hard and keeps the output even.

Compression is a very useful tool---when tastefully used.
Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 5:27 pm    

Seems to me a compressor works against your dynamics control. That pedal under your right foot is all you need - combined with the right technique and with plenty of power in reserve from your amp. Normal playing volume is about 20-30% of maximum with pedal wide open (which will just about knock you down with the 100 watt Boogie!). Goose it as chords sustain or to bring out chimes or high register lines. An impedance matching/buffering device is critical when using a pot pedal (unless using the three cord hookup with your Peavey). For me, the magic combination is Li'l Izzy, Goodrich 120, tube amp with 15" speaker (effects in loop or before amp).

Now lead guitar's a different story. Anybody tried one of those Carl Martin compressors Jorgensen's endorsing?
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 6:15 pm    

A compressor might be a useful tool for a professional...someone who has been playing for well over 10 years, and knows exactly what he needs. Beginners, however, would do well to forget the "gimmicks" (other than a little reverb), and concentrate on basic playing skills.

The best equipment in the world can't make a good player out of someone who has poor technique. Ability (or the lack of it), will always shine through, no matter how many devices are employed.
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 6:16 pm    

Well, Howdy
All IMHO.
Yes, a volume pedal is a darn good compressor. Yes, a compressor squashes the dynamic range (that is what it is designed to do). But, my volume pedal can't keep up on fast licks. My picking hand is not world class yet. For some reason my index finger does not pick/attack the strings like my thumb and middle finger can. A good tube compressor evens this out, by compressing the notes that are attacked harder than than the weaker ones. I don't think you can hear it. The compressor is way faster than my foot. And the loud and soft notes are gone (good in this case).

Second benefit. The compressor can give you awesome sustain (it is adjustable). Application here is slow songs, single note soaring melodies.

I think it works best before the volume pedal. Let it do what it does best. Fast reaction to overattacked notes. Then the volume pedal for expression.

Apply as needed. Do not take more than the prescribed dose. If the doc says take 2 aspirin, don't take the whole bottle.

My 2c

Ron
Ricky Littleton

Steely-Eyed Missile Man from Cocoa Beach, Florida USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2003 8:15 am    

I use my compressor (Boss stomp box) only occasionally. Mainly when I'm using my distortion during a few rock songs (especially Grateful Dead or some southern Rock). I'll occasionally use it in conjunction with my auto-wah for a little added "funkiness" as required. Mostly though, it just sits there for those special occasions.

Ricky

------------------
Emmons LeGrande - 8x4
Session 400 Ltd
Dan-Echo, E-Bow, Ibanez Distortion, Boss Comp./Sustain, Ibanez Auto-Wah

[This message was edited by Ricky Littleton on 17 April 2003 at 09:16 AM.]

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2003 7:20 am    

I use an MXR DynaComp and like it very much. I have an older LP record I bought at Scotty's called "Hot Texas Country" by Darrel McCall and Johnny Bush. They do a cut of "Pick Me Up On Your Way Down" which has some hot steel work by Buddy E. I was looking to get that sound he used as it was awesome. I thought it might be a compressor as it sounded something like what I use on my lead guitar. After a little experimentation I found the tone by using my Dynacomp. It wasn't quite as clean as I'd like it so I used my Boss stompbox and dialed it right in. The Boss has a tone control which the DynaComp doesn't but I prefer the DynaComp for most other things so I have them both on my board.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 19 April 2003 at 08:22 AM.]

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2003 9:54 am    

Traded with Pete Burak and really used the new Boss CS3 to provide a new element to my playing.

Larry Behm