| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BEST unit for using TRACKS
Gary Steele

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2003 8:27 am    

I'm in the ministry and possibly going full time a little later. I'v been using a mini disc for a while. Is there anything that is a lot better to travel with that is better over all? I'v heard they have equip you can use to record pre recorded music ETC that you can put hours of music on one Disc or hard disc. What would you equip GURUS reccommend. Do you know the pros and cons to the Mini-disc. They seem great but dont hold a lot.
Thanks,
Gary
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2003 8:46 am    

Why not just burn CDs????

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps
Gary Steele

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2003 9:59 am    

Thanks Larry, But wouldn't it be better to have a system that would record several hours. Or do you think in the long run it would be better to keep it more compact and have to change disc more often. Or maybe you are thinking of a unit with multiple disc changer. Actually i have one brand new with 5 disc changer. Larry what is the best CD burner you know of. Would you want one thru the Computer or a stand alone?
Thanks much Larry.
Gary Steele
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2003 10:37 am    

A CD gives you 74 minutes.. you can push some a bit longer, but the don't necessarily play on all players.
Mini discs can hold around 90 minites on some models. It depends on the media discs capactiy.

A portable DAT player like the Sony, which I have, can do 2 hours of recording playback at 44.1 standard CD recording quailty on a 120 tape.

It will run on 4 AA batteries and get good sound for recording music live.
And much more time with good sound for voices at LP mode (long play) which gives a lower sampling rate, hence lower sound frequency bandwidth.
If your not recording violins and cymbals this is quite acceptable.

Mini disc will queue to sections very fast, because they are non-linear like a comuter. DAT is not as fast, but you can put track indicators and it will scan to the next indicator.

They are about 1/3 more expensive than a mini disc and more fragile. But I use mine all the time at gigs.
This might solve your problem. it's a handheld unit too, with a nice little stereo condenser mic available for it.
RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2003 11:20 am    

I have a Rio MP3 player, the same size as a Sony Walkman. It plays CD-Rs that I create myself using Musicmatch Jukebox on my computer. I can get better than 8 hours of music, indistinguishable in quality from a standard audio CD, on a single CD-R. And if you feel like it you can used CD-RWs as well, although at the price of CD-Rs these days it's hardly worth it.

BTW, I think I paid $80 for the Rio player about a year ago. And it plays standard audio CDs as well, but interestly enough, if you run it off of batteries it runs longer playing MP3s than it does standard CDs.
------------------
Rick Richtmyer
Sugarloaf Recording
Good News

[This message was edited by RickRichtmyer on 20 March 2003 at 01:03 PM.]