| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which pick-up to use?
Bruce Etter

Columbus, Georgia
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2003 6:50 pm    

I have a 1975 Emmons P/P (black of course!) and I play through a Nashville 1000. I am considering changing the pick-up. Which one would be the best to consider? I want to retain the classic push/pull sound. Any suggestions would be very helpful! Thanks!

------------------
1975 Emmons D-10 Push/Pull
Nasville 1000
Digitech RP-100

Gino Iorfida

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2003 7:02 pm    

a couple questions:
1) why do you want to change the pickup? (dead, microphonic/squealing, too noisy?)

In other words, you MAY or MAY NOT need to change... if it's dead, you may be able to get a rewind of it, if its microphonic maybe wax potting etc...
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2003 8:14 pm    

Absolutely keep the orignal single coil. Have
it re-wound by Jerry Wallace if you have to, but if you change that pick-up you are going to lose some of the classic sound.
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2003 7:43 am    

I totally agree with Kevin...Jerry Wallace pickups and rewinds are probably the best single coil pickups out there...What is it you don't like about the pickups that are on your steel ???...If you're getting too much hum, pick up your amp or your steel, and turn it while your volume is up a little...You will see that your steel with single coil pickups is like an antenna..Turn it for lower hum !!..
Distance of your amp from your steel, as well as position is also a factor that will add hum...Good wire like George L's cable is an excellent source for lowering unwanted noise..Good Luck....Jim
Bruce Etter

Columbus, Georgia
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2003 2:57 pm    

Thanks for the advice guys! The reason I was considering changing the pick-up was of a slight hum that I am getting. And also, being new at this (about a year and a half)..I figured that the pick-up was probably the original and was getting some age on it. I use the George L cables and they are great. I recently changed the pot in the volume pedal (about 4 months ago). I will try moving the amp farther away and see if this helps. In summary, I WILL keep the original pick-up and get it rewound if necessary. For now..."if it ain't broke...don't try to fix it" Thanks again!

------------------
1975 Emmons D-10 Push/Pull
Nasville 1000
Digitech RP-100