| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ? For Mike Brown
Tim Sergent

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2003 8:35 pm    

Hey, Mike,
I was just wondering, with the popularity of the Mesa Boogie Studio Pre-amp, with the 5 band graphic, and being that my favorite steel tone that I've ever gotten was with a bass amp, if you've ever tried one of Peavey's bass pre's with the graphic EQ in them? I can't remember the model #'s on any of them, but I know there's a few out there. Just curious!
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2003 11:11 am    

Good question Tim. By the way, it's good to hear from you. At this time, the Peavey MAX bass preamp might be an option. But, I have never tried it for steel so I don't have first hand knowledge about what it would sound like. What Mesa preamp are you referring to and maybe I can take a look at its specs?
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2003 4:33 pm    

It's called the "Studio Preamp", Mike.
No longer in production.

Paul Franklin was the first steeler I was aware of using it.
b0b has one, so do I.

All tube, Fender-like spring reverb, excellent clean and distortion, two rack spaces.
Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2003 8:47 pm    

The trouble with most tube pre-amps is their EQ section is voiced for guitar. That's why alot of bass pre's...Demeter, ToneWorks, BlueTube, etc., sound waaay better with steel than their guitar pre-amps. Alot of great tone is achieved with a bass front end coupled with a full-range speaker.
The main difference in pre-amps is how they deal with and design their EQ. Most are close, and are adjustable with a few knob turns. Combo amps are very similar, but guys get an amp and say, 'Lloyd(or Buddy) had these settings on his amp'...and they will never twist a knob. If you can't hear your tone and adjust whatever you play through to suit, it just don't really matter.....much....price notwithstanding...unless you're downwind...with a breeze.........I digress.

[This message was edited by Jeff Peterson on 20 February 2003 at 08:56 PM.]