| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hilton Pedal WOW!!!!!
David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2003 8:28 pm    

I finally broke down and bought a Hilton volume pedal last week and the only regret I have is that I didn't buy one sooner! I always liked the way my push pulls sounded but now it's like discovering "that sound" all over again. I had noticed a while back while playing a particularly loud gig that my Emmons sounded better with the volume pedal wide open. Well, with the Hilton, it sounds that way all the time, actually even better. Better string separation, better tone, better feel. If any of you guys have been on the fence about trying one of these pedals, do it, you won't be sorry!
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 6:15 am    

Welcome to the club, David.
I still believe that the Hilton is the greatest steel guitar accessory you NEVER heard. Just pure, accurate tone at any pedal position. If you don't like how your guitar sounds through a Hilton pedal, you should be looking for another guitar.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro
Bruce Meyer

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 9:21 am    

Bought my second one from Herby Wallace last week. 'nuff said.
David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 9:47 am    

I'm thinking seriously about selling my L-120 and my old emmons drop pin pedal to offset the cost of another Hilton.....
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 12:35 pm    

Oh yea.

Larry Behm
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 2:02 pm    

Wow is right!

Brad Sarno

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2003 11:18 am    

I am also enjoying the Hilton volume pedal. A few months ago I was experiencing a minor problem; I could not completely shut off the volume. I sent the pedal back to Keith, and even thoguh the pedal was over a year old, Keith repaired it for just the postage. I especially appreciate that Keith stands behind this fine product.
Chuck
Michael McGee

Everton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2003 10:06 am    

Keith did his homework (a ton of it) and when he built this product, very simply, he 'did it right'. It is a great pedal.

mm
Gary Steele

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2003 8:08 pm    

Way better than sliced bread!!
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 8:39 pm    

The best money I ever invested in good sound.
I truly believe the Hilton will make you play better because your sound is so clear you will concentrate on getting the most out of each note. I believe it had that effect on my playing.
Jerry
Randy Pettit

North Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 8:16 am    

Question:
When using an electronic pedal such as the Hilton or the new Goodrich with a Peavey Nashville 1000, should you use the low-gain, or high-gain input? I've been using the high-gain input with my pot pedal. Also, does the 3-cable hook-up make any difference?
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 9:34 am    

I'm not sure which input you should use, but my understanding is that using the Hilton pedal direct to the amp will sound the same as using the three wire hookup with a pot pedal.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 12:18 pm    

The brochure which comes with the Hilton says not to use the 3 chord patch. I'd been using a Goodrich pedal (the one with the 9V battery in it) for about 4 years now and thought it was the best one I'd ever used. Last weekend I attended and played at the Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association's jam in Wilson, NC. On Saturday I used my regular set up and wandered by Herby Wallace's booth a few times and looked at a Hilton pedal and some other stuff here and there but didn't think anything about it. On Sunday I got into a discussion with Herby about it and he told me how it had really improved his sound and he wouldn't play with anything else now. I'd heard this a couple of times from other steelers and thought it was probably a bunch of bull and that maybe Herby was just a vendor wanting to sell some merchandise. Later in the day I went to Herby and he let me try out the low profile Hilton pedal. I played my last set with it and the difference was amazing. I plugged my guitar straight into it and then to my effects and to my amp (Nashville 400)...I couldn't believe the sound I was getting. It was like a whole new guitar. I think I actually played better that last set than I did all weekend as my sound was so much better. I flubbed a couple but I think it was because I sounded so good to myself that I was trying to go for some licks that were above my level of expertise. Keith has a real winner in this thing. I never thought I'd spend close to $300 for a volume pedal but I think I might buy another one for use with my lead guitar rig. I love this thang!!!

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 12:47 pm    

You shouldn't use the three cord setup with your powered Goodrich pedal for the same reasons that you shouldn't use the Hilton pedal that way. If you were, I'd like to hear your impressions of the sound going direct with your Goodrich pedal compared to the Hilton pedal.
Craig Villalon

Charlottesville Va.
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2003 11:31 am    

I have been using a goodrich volume pedal with the "volume pedal" patch on the Nashville 1000...basically using five cords...as suggested by Mike Brown..Will the Hilton pedal provide a better sound. I thought the purpose of the five cord patch was to insure the same tonality regardless of volume...do you guys think the Hilton will improve the sound? Do I just use the traditional patching method with the Hilton and the Nashville 1000?

Craig
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2003 11:42 am    

Craig, I haven't tried a Hilton pedal, but that's the way I understand it. Guitar-Hilton pedal-amp. In your case, I would be more worried about the quality of your five cables, especially the three long ones.