| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recording personal playing
Gary Slabaugh

Scottsdale, AZ
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2002 10:47 am    

This topic may belong elsewhere but here goes. I recently tried recording for the first time to send out a couple of christmas tunes. The recording quality was really poor and I am looking for suggestions (low budget). I recorded straight to my lap top using sound player and the built-in mic. any suggestions..better mic? Keep in mind I am looking for something basic for now.

thanks
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2002 11:39 am    

I'm going to move this from No Peddlers to Electronics.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2002 12:10 pm    

Well Gary you certainly have opened up a can of worms here.. You know what they say, you've heard it before...You get what you pay
for.

Can you record low budget ?..yes
will it sound good ?... to be determined

The laptop sound card is probably adequate at best which will produce..well..adequate at best results.

My low budget recommendation..

Go to the local music store and by either a Tascam or Fostex low cost 4 track at around $100 or so. OR go up to EBAY and buy a Tascam or similar 4 track . Or Step up to a low cost digital workstation. You see from here it start going up in price, but the quality goes up in direct proportion.

Decide on an amount of money you may want to spend first and then go from there. EBAY always has good deals on used four track tape machines . For simple and fast home recordings I would say this would be a good approach.

good luck
tp

Alan Michael

Winston-Salem North Carolina U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2002 12:51 pm    

Tony's advise is right on the money. I bought a Tascam 4 track recorder/mixer new for around $250 but you can get them for less. I record rhythm tracks on one channel and steel on another and still have two channels left for other instruments or voices.
The quality is quite good for such a low cost setup, and you have the option of manipulating each channel seperately.
Ole Dantoft

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2002 1:23 pm    

Gary,

The key-words here are "using the build-in mic" - that's just NEVER going to produce anything even remotely acceptable ! If you use a proper microphone or a direct input into the line-in - depending on what you prefer - and a decent piece of recording software, you could likely do A LOT better !

I use the sequencing software Power Tracks Pro Audio from http://www.pgmusic.com and a Line6 POD from http://www.line6.com for my recordings and together with a run-of-the-mill soundcard it produces VERY acceptable results. (You don't need anything like the POD - any stomp-box pedal will do in a pinch as an impedance converter - it just gives you a lot of posibilities)

Ole
Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2002 5:01 pm    

I agree with Tony and Alan... I use a Fostex multi-tracker X-12, 4 track Reorder which cost around $150.00 (I got mine on sale for $99.00). I record my rhythm tracks to track 1 and play my steel on track 2 while using a headset. I still have 2 tracks for other instruments if I want them. I also use a Sure SM-57 Mic.($80.00 at Musician's Friend).
For around $200.00 you are in business.