| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul Franklin`s studio setup.
Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 12:11 am    

I read the post by Steve S. and thought I start a new thread since this is not just about the MB preamp.

Paul Jr. was kindly enough to invite me to one of his sessions a couple of years back.

I took a look at his setup. He uses a MB studio preamp, a TC. electronic 2290, and a couple of Lexicon effects and a Mosvalve 500 power amp.

He hooks it up in stereo like most of us do but not quite like Johan describe in Steve`s post.

The speakers are Peavey with closed backs and an extra set that he leaves in the studio, I belive. There are in fact two 12 BW in each cab but Paul disconnected one speaker in each cab. Open mic`s in front of both cabs were used at this session.

Guess the Marrs cabs were at home and are used for live giging.

A few words about the TC 2290.

This is a dynamic digital delay AND an effect mixer in two units.

The 2290 has 6 send and stereo return patches. Each effect Paul has are connected to one patch. The adventage with the patches are that Paul can dial out an effect when he don`t need it. This will leave the effect totally out of the signal chain.
This is rather importaint in a studio situation were you want to keep the noise level as low as possible.

The TC2290 has a dynamic delay. I don`t know if Paul are using this feature or not.
Dynamic delay means that the 2290 will "hold" the delay untill you are having a pause in your playing and then release the delay at the end of each line you`re playing. The goal are to have little delay when you`re pickin` and more when you`re sustaining.

This dynamic delay feature are now included in the lower priced TC G-Major. I have the G-major but haven`t had the time to work too much with it.

I must say that most of us don`t need the TC 2290. It`s perfect for studio players that don`t carry their studio rack themselves. Paul`s rack are a floating type and about 4 feet high. I don`t have a clue how heavy it is but I know for sure that you don`t wanna run around with it.

Thanks,
Dag

[This message was edited by Dag Wolf on 04 September 2002 at 01:17 AM.]

[This message was edited by Dag Wolf on 04 September 2002 at 01:20 AM.]