| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Johnson J Station
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2002 8:02 am    

I bought one of these off of buy and sell last week. I actually got it for my 13 y/o son because he wanted some effects. I had read someones post who didn't like this unit for steel. Well... I am doing some tab work in my office during lunch and whenever I get a break. I brought this in just to try it out with my steel. I've got the Remington D10 at the office. I plugged it in and thought, boy... not very good. Then I tweaked on it and removed all the effects except a tiny delay and reverb. Using just the clean patch into headphones provides a lush, full sound that is better than any other headphone type amp I've ever used. It flat sounds great!
Now it doesn't have CD inputs but there is a work around the way that I'm doing it. Since I'm tabbing stuff, I've got ye' old Reed Kotler TR1000 hooked up to my computer/cd. You can run out of the outputs of the JS to the TR1000. Just watch your levels and it works fine. It does sound better if you use just the headphones out of the JS, but the other way is acceptable if you want to play along with a CD.
I got mine used and cheap! They are selling for brand new at the discount stores for $149. I'm not sure my son will get this back

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas
Emmmons/Mullen/Remington
Evans

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2002 11:24 am    

Steve, what settings are you using?
I've had one for about 2 years and I've not got much use out of it yet for the steel.

Tony
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2002 1:09 pm    

Tony,
I'm using the J-Clean setting. I turn off all of the effects except the reverb and delay. Turn off the gate and compressor.
Dial in some extra bottom end with the bass control. Set the Delay to very few repeats and tap in whatever speed you want. Turn the reverb up to about 80%. That's it. It is not going to replace my Evans amps, but it is just fine for headphone use.

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas
Emmmons/Mullen/Remington
Evans

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 6:03 am    

Steve,
I agree. I use the blackface setting with some reverb and echo and it great for headphones, or running direct into the recorder. I also have a stereo chorus setting (subtle) that really sounds lush ala Sneeky Pete.
Lefty