| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  need information on in-the -ear monitors
Gary Glisson

munford, tn 38058
Post  Posted 26 May 2002 9:18 pm    

hi my band is thinking of switching to in-the-ear monitors and i'am from the old school and have always used wedge monitors. any professional pickers out there who have been on tour or on tour, who use the ear monitors? do you like them ?what type is suppose to be the best? just need any type feed back? none off our band members have ever used them but i know all nashville acts are going to them now. you can leave feed back here or e-mail me direct thanks gary glisson
Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 May 2002 5:16 am    

Gary
I'm right up I40 in Jackson Tn.I've have had
lots of experience since my band has been wired for ears for 3years now. We use a combination of the sennheiser uhf wrls and the wired shures. They take some getting use
to but by far it is the best move I've ever
made. No More FEEDBACK! Our monitor check is
now is to put them on.No more amps EQs and
heavy wedges.Like I said it is not a natural
transition.You will have to get use to the sound and the isolation. I now put one in and
one out. The main thing is your monitor mix.
Rather than take up any more space Gary give
me a call @ the Bandstand 731-668-7426 and
we'll discuss this more.
Thanks
Chuck McGill
chuck@bandstandinc.com
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 May 2002 3:55 pm    

Don't worry aboout taking up space here, Chuck!

The Forum has plenty of space for advice from experienced users like you.

Can you comment on what kind of limiters you use to prevent accidental feedback from harming your ears? Other tips?

-j0ey-
Kevin Post

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2002 7:10 pm    

I have used the Shure system for five years, and they are incredible. It's like being in the studio. It has really helped me to be more precise.

They have limiters built in, and they cannot damage your ears....but wedges sure can.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2002 8:31 am    

I play in a Church praise band and we use no amps on stage. Sometimes the monitor engineer lets the guitar's (Steel, Lead, and Bass)mix get pretty loud, so I went to in-ears so I can control my own levels. I tried the Shure PSM400 wired system first, but I switch back and forth between guitar and steel, and they were a little unhandy, so I went to wireless.

I tried a Sennheiser system first but wasn't able to get a good mix and had to run the levels almost all the way up. I then went to a Shure PSM600 system and I love it. I use the high end E5 earphones which sound really good, but are also really expensive. The E1 earphones sound really good for the price.

The Shure in-ears have a mix control, so if I want more of me in the mix, I do it at the receiver and don't have to get the attention of the sound engineer at the back of the auditorium. I get my feed from the front of house board instead of the monitor board, because the monitor board tends to get tweaked more often since its on the stage. My son also runs the FOH board and knows what kind of mix I like. Also, I can run about 6 - 8 hours on a battery with the Shure system, and I could only run about 2 hours with the Sennheiser system.

BTW, We decided not to put all the guitar players on in-ears, due to switching between 3 Bass players, each would have had to have their own earphones, and I don't think they would have lasted very long, the wires are small and kind of fragile, and everyone knows bass players are kind of forgetful (scatterbrained?), the guitar player has trouble remembering picks, straps, and tuners, so I don't think he would ever remember his earphones. So, we have two PSM600 wireless systems that may be for sale in the next couple of weeks if you're interested in buying used systems.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording
Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2002 12:37 pm    

YOu must remember that even though the ear monitors are very good, you can lose your sense of dynamics. You tend to listen and forget about entertaining. You don['t hear the dynamics of the music with those in your ear. I like to use ear monitors but also I have seen bands that look like they are listening to a cd instead of performing.
Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2002 4:11 am    

There are a lot of things to consider when
switching over to Ears.Most decent systems
have the limiting built in to the reciever
or body pack but you still have to set up your gain structure for the aux send so's
not to clip the input of the ears.Yes the
isolation is the most difficult thing to get
used to. When someone walks to the edge of
the stage to request you have to pull one out
to hear.I guess some bands could isolate themselves but that's a matter of taking care
of the people who take care of you and understanding why we're here playing music to begin with.Some bands never learn this,ears or not. As far as hearing damage
ears promote less volume on stage and allow
a house soundman to do his job better. Less
volume on stage should equate to less in the
house too.
Thanks
Chuck
chuck@bandstandinc.com