| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Traynor Amps
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2002 9:07 am    

There was a recent discussion where someone mentioned Traynor but hadn't yet checked them out. Has anyone yet? I was looking at a 40 watt all tube single 12" model that seemed designed to compete with the Hot Rod Deville type of amp. Haven't had a chance to bring my steel to the store. I'm curious about these.
---BTW---I'm specifically talking about new Traynors--Yorkville Sound. Not the vintage amps.
Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2002 10:39 am    

I recently bought one of these for my teenage son who plays six string. It is a great amp. It lacks one thing which I find mandatory and that is a master volume. I think this leaves dialing in your sound up to a single volume control for each channel. It is a loud amp and extremely clean (little ambient hum). The overdrive channel works great for six string.
If I went for the traynor line, I would buy the 80 watt 4x10 for the steel. It has all of the features a guitarist could ask for.

Karlis Abolins
Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2002 2:59 pm    

I work for a record company (ulfTone music) that released the solo CDs of former Sheryl Crow guitar player Todd Wolfe. Besides that he's a great guy hes a tone fanatic. We lend him an old Traynor head for his last tour through Europe and guess what he did - As soon as he was home he bought himself an '68 Traynor head and he seems to love it. Unfortunately I never had the chance to play my Sierra through it.

------------------
martin abend Pedal-Steel in Germany
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 | Regal RD45 | fender hotrod deluxe

Andy Greatrix

Edmonton Alberta
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2002 5:40 am    

the Trayner 80 watt tube amp also comes with 2x12 speakers. I think you can also disconnect the speakers and plug in a 15 cabinet as well. It sounds like a very versitile amp.
Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2002 7:40 am    

I played a Traynor twin that sounded every bit as good as a Fender. This was on 6 string, so I was looking for overdrive, but the tone was there. Not sure about clean headroom.. These puppys are underrated. I think they are building new Traynors if I am not mistaken, but I would look for an old one.

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2002 7:55 am    

Thanks for the info here. Karlis--that is the amp I'm talking about. I definitely agree that the 80w model is the better steel choice but part of my interest is in a light weight (relatively) tube amp. I'm aware of the old Traynors as semi-undiscovered gems. But it is the new amps I'm talking about.