| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Phrase samplers ?
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2002 5:11 pm    

Anybody out there have info on those riff-o-matic whatchamahochies that slow down recordings to make transcribing easyer ?

I want a stand alone unit rather than a software based one.

thanks, Bob
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2002 7:52 am    

Bob -

Get a Reed Kotler TR-1000. Can be had new for ~$180-$275, depending on where you find it. Best thing going. End of rant.
Steve

[This message was edited by Steve Feldman on 17 January 2002 at 07:54 AM.]

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 17 Jan 2002 12:48 pm    

I'll have to second Steve's rant. He turned me on to the tr-1000 and I use it every day. It's an incredible machine.
I got mine at a place called Midi Classics in Ct. They were the cheapest at the time ( just over $200 shipped)
Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2002 5:39 am    

Bob,

Boss has a new device out called Boss RC-20 that sounds very interesting, though I haven't touched it yet. It got very good review over here. You can create 11 seperate loops, stack them one over another and record them to a zotal of 5 min, 30 sec. The downside is you seem to have to get used to the handling, there's no midi and you can't transfer the data digitally. I guess I'd buy it if I had the 400 €...

------------------
martin abend Pedal-Steel in Germany
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 - Regal RD45 - fender hotrod deluxe

John Paul Jones

San Diego
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2002 10:59 pm    

Bob,

I have an Akai Riff-O-Matic. It is fantastick. Espedially the 'Note-Grabber' that lets you hear just one note at a time, if you wish. Awesome.

------------------
John Paul Jones

GFI U-12
Evans FET500 amp
ART T2 effects
HM-4 harmony machine

Rich Weiss

Woodland Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2002 12:30 am    

It's a great tool, small and easy to use and not all that expensive. It has three speeds, normal, 2/3, and 1/2 speed. There's semi-tone and fine tuning features. It loops like a little sampler, invaluable for learning fast, complicated passages. It gives, I think, 12 seconds good-sounding playback, or 24 seconds (not so perfect). I was able to learn a Blues song called The Stumble, which was NOT built for a pedal steel to play. I learned the whole thing, 12 seconds at a time, at half speed. It took over a week. I never would have taken it on without having this device to make it possible. My advice is to get one.

[This message was edited by Rich Weiss on 20 January 2002 at 12:59 AM.]

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 20 Jan 2002 4:12 am    

The Akai is a nice unit but just for comparison...
The Tr-1000 will sample up to 90 seconds in its "higher quality" rate and 180 in its "lesser quality rate" ( which is still pretty good).
It has playback speeds of Full, 3/4,2/3, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/12, 1/17, 1/21, 1/24, and 1/26. It's also easy to grab one note. It transposes up or down 12 half steps, and adjusts pitch up or down 100 cents. It has all kinds of "looping" capabilities.
Needless to say, I like these things....
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2002 8:44 am    

I'll have to second Cartwright's rant. (smiley here...). To me, there's no comparison between the Akai and the Kotler in terms of reproduction quality or features. Honest, guys...check it out.
seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2002 12:47 pm    

The KORG Pandora also has a phrase sampler. 16 seconds I believe. Works well for me. You can slow down up to 75% - but it gets pretty grainy. I usually use about 25% or so. It does not alter pitch btw which is very cool! You can also plug in a CD player (or whatever) and jam along with that external source, AND change the pitch - no retuning your guitar to play with CD's!!!. The Pandora is about 190$. In addition it has killer effects and a rhythm track with bass and drums. Chord progressions on some - I'm sure there are other posts in archive on the Pandora.
cheers,
Chris

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"We can't afford to let Nature Run Wild" - govt. offical - Alaska