| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Your preference of Envelope Filter
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2001 12:50 pm    

My life long MXR envelope filter finally bit the big one.
I'll be looking for a replacement. Anybody out there have info on the different brands and models? Your preference?
Thanks
Dennis
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2001 2:03 pm    

Dennis;
Have the MXR unit repaired. From what my service tech told me the MXR circuits are fairly simple and replacement parts are available. I just had the chip replaced in my Dyna-Comp. There are a few envelope followers out there. I remember a pinkish colored one that I heard Sonny Garrish used, but I don't recall the name of it. I still use the MXR when I need a wah.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2001 7:16 pm    

The Line6 modulation modeler box is totally amazing. I personally prefer the mutron sound to the MXR pedal, but the Line6 box has everything.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2001 11:36 pm    

Dennis, still have not had time to look at the Morely Delay unit you loaned me at the Convention. The best envelope unit I have ever used is the MXR. For me---the trick is getting the unit close to the pickup. The best sound for me is a direct plug off the guitar to the MXR unit. It never did as good putting it afer the pedal. Hope this helps. Your friend Keith
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2001 5:31 am    

Good Morning Keith..
Take your time with the Morley. You said you were moving to Ozark, I think? I don't use the unit anymore, but it was a nice sounding piece of historical equipment. You were interesting in examining it's innerds a while back. So you can do a little autopsy on it and while in there maybe see where the slight distortion is on the repeat. It used to be very clean and warm sounding.
Yes the envelope filter seems to be most efficient coming right out of the guitar. Some stomp boxes sounded better after the pedal and some before. One interesting configuration I found was to use a Dyna Comp and a DOD preamp side by side after my pedal. With both units on and set properly I could get a very nice soft, tube amp sounding, crunch for some rock rythmn.
Dennis
Matt Farrow

Raleigh, NC, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2001 5:51 pm    

Not to step on Dan's toes, but the Line6 MM-4 Modulation Modeler doesn't have an envelope filter (auto-wah.) It DOES have several types of chorus, phaser, flanger, tremolo, panner, Leslie, and rring modulator, though.

The FM-4 Filter Modeler has all the auto-wah you could ask for. It has a very convincing Mu-Tron III emulation, as well as some neat synthesizer filters.

The MXR is likely to be fixable. Email me with the details on how it's broken and I'll see what I can figure out.

Matt Farrow
Pharaoh Amplifiers

------------------
Matt Farrow
Marlen 9-string 6+2
Kustom K150

http://www.skybolt6.com/pharaohamps

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2001 9:20 pm    

Pharoh, I was mixed up, you have it right.

I love that Line 6 Filter modulator. I never got one because my Lexicon processor has as good a Mutron effect (I love that mutron sound).
James Winwood

New York, New York
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2001 9:55 am    

Hey there, I use a Elecro-Harmonix Q-tron envelope filter that I am quite pleased with. One of the advantage's with this pedal is that you can open it up and tinker with the inside for adjustments quite easily. I have heard of guitar players doing this, haven't myself yet. It works well just how it is though, and has the ability to reverse the filter for those mutron sounds. It's very sensitive and requires tweaking to get it right with steel. When it's driven with distortion, man this thing rages. A very fun and ball-grabbing tone indeed.
jerry wallace

Artesia , NM (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2001 10:26 am    

Gentleman,please forgive my ignorance but all of the different effects available nowdays get a little confussing for me..

I have only used delay, reverb, chorus and compression with steel..What does a envelope filter do?

------------------
Jerry Wallace-2001 Zum: D-10,8+6, "98 Zum: D-10,8+8,Nashville 1000,Session 500 ,Session 400 head only amp,Tubefex,ProfexII, Artesia, New Mexico
http://communities.msn.com/jerrywallacemusic

[This message was edited by jerry wallace on 15 October 2001 at 11:27 AM.]

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2001 11:36 am    

Jerry;
It's kind of a wah pedal in a box.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com
rick w

smithfield,n.c.
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2001 7:12 am    

Pharaoh I work at Wake Tech. I am glad you are on the FORUM,and you are the first from Raleigh that I recall. Maybe you could look at my equitment and tell me if I have the right setup. My telephone no. 934-3538. It is local. The help would be nice,I have not been playing steel long. Thanks Rick Worley
Matt Farrow

Raleigh, NC, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2001 8:32 am    

Ha, ha! I'm the WORST steel guitar player in the ENTIRE universe! I think you'd be better off asking somebody who actually knows how to play! Anyway, if I can help, I will. I've sure gotten a lot of help here and I'll do my best to answer any questions you might have. My guitar and equipment are what you might call "eccentric." I play an OLD Marlen 9-string, with 6 pedals and 2 knees, originally designed to be a C6th guitar. I have converted it into a sort of bastard E9th. Low to high, it's E B E G# B E G# D#. Also the changer fingers only push or pull, not both like an Emmons. It's very "caveman," but I like it. I know a lot about amps and electronics so I can probably help you there.

Cliff Swanson is another steeler in Raleigh, and he's really good. Very talented. I don't know if he's on the Forum much anymore but he plays with Thad Cockrell, go check him out if you get a chance.

------------------
Matt Farrow
Marlen 9-string 6+2
Kustom K150

http://www.skybolt6.com/pharaohamps

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2001 10:00 am    

Dennis,

I bought my MXR Envelope Filter in the mid 70's and was extremely happy with it's simplisity of use and it's ability to work well with a "dry" incoming signal.

Several years ago I bought a rack-type effects processor (brand name withheld to protect the innocent...and so I don't have to don an asbestos jumpsuit). Said unit claimed to have an envelope filter and I thought "oh, what the heck, I'll just run the ol' MXR unit down to the local vintage instrument store and get a few bucks for it"....BIG MISTAKE! After tinkering with brand X's so-called envelope filter for hours and not even coming close to a true auto frequency roll-off filtering effect, I didn't walk, I RAN back to the store and begged to buy back the trusty MXR unit. I was successful. Thanks Dale (you know who you are).

The MXR unit works as well today as it did new (about 23 years so far).

I would suggest having it repaired. If you like the way the MXR unit sounds and works, keep it. I tried a bunch of different types out for a guitarist friend of mine (he like the way the MXR unit sounded on my steel). The end result was there are many similarly good units, Elecro-Harmonix Q-tron and the Mu-Tron III among them. But they don't sound the same as the MXR. In some cases they are almost too sensitive for playing with pedal steel where you can't change instrument tone easily while playing. Also, I was not able to achieve a "slow wah" effect on any unit other than the MXR. IMHO the "slow wah" effect comes closest to emulating a pedal-driven wah like a "Cry-Baby".

Hope everything works out for you.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2001 11:19 am    

Envelope Filters: The classic of all classic envelope filters was the original Mutron III from the '70s. Today there are a few that are replications of the Mutron III. There is a reissue of the Mutron III called the Mutron III+ and it is quite good. Electro Harmonix also has the Q-Tron which I have and really like.Then there is the Line 6 Filter Modeller which among many cool synth like filter sounds does a great Mutron III sound. The Line 6 pedal, however, is digital and some people prefer the smoothness and naturalness of analog. The Q-Tron and Mutron III+ are analog and sound great. Avoid the MXR, DOD, and the older Boss version as they just dont have the big boingy round sound, they are more "blappy".

Brad Sarno
St. Louis
Mullen U-12
Nash. 1K
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2001 1:02 pm    

Brad,

With all due respect, I do get a slow sweeping wah from my MXR unit. The filtering level and sensitivity have to be set right. Then, by slowly applying the volume pedal the signal voltage will trigger the wah-ing effect. At roughly the same settings the reverse of this effect will happen with string decay. All this without touching anything other than the strings on the guitar and the volume pedal.

The "blappy" signature you describe (I call it my "duck call") is possible by setting the filtering threshold toward the upper frequency range and the sensitivity heightened.

This particular setting is useful for rapid single note picking. But it by no means, is the only possibilty of the MXR unit.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2001 1:59 am    

The Ibanez (stompbox), best envelope-wah sound I ever had!
But it eats batteries!!

------------------

STEELDAYS 2002
my web-site
my bands CODand TSC

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2001 6:59 am    

Johan;
I agree. I have a old Ibanez Stereo Chorus that takes 2 batteries, (18 volts.) I haven't used it for years, but the batteries would go dead about every four or five nights. I used a power supply with it for a while, but it quietly added an extra Bb note to everything, so I ditched the wall wart. The unit sounds great, but I can't afford to feed it.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2001 1:16 pm    

Does Ibanez still make them?
Alot of good input. After everyone is done arguing(providing input ) I'll go to the local music stores and try the ones all of you have recommended.
Thanks for your help.
How does the Qutron sound on Witch's Brew? Better or a perfect match?
Dennis
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2001 2:58 pm    

Whenever I've seen Buddy play Witches Brew live, he used the MXR Envelope Filter.