| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Loading Newman preset to a Tubefex? Help!
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2001 4:37 pm    

I've got about five different steel players Profex II settings on a Peavey Midi-Streamer. I save them for reload after changing batterys for my pickin' buddys! I tried to dump the presets to a Tubefex, no go! I'm not the sharpest midi-guy, but I'm guessing as theses are called system exclusive messages they are only recognized by another Profex. I have no trouble dumping and reloading the Tubefex setting into the Midi-Streamer. It looks like I'll need to get the presets loaded via card only?
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2001 7:58 pm    

Ken,

Check your email

Mark T.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2001 2:05 am    

Why do you want the Profex II programs??? They do not use the analog preamp in the TubeFex (or Transtube Fex). Specific programs for those units work much better.

Take a look at my Transtube Fex/TubeFex program listing Gulf Coast Steel Guitar
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2001 12:18 pm    

Thanks for the replys. After reading a book I have on Midi I now understand System Exclusive messages! The Profex settings are adequate for the Tubefex in that they use the solid state preamp. I agree this is not taking advantage of the tube preamp. I just assumed the Newman setting are a good starting place for steel settings and can be modified to add tube preamp to later. I actually programmed a couple of the Newman setting last night (by direct input). I was very disappointed when using the tube preamp, a might thin sounding! This may just require changing the preamp tubes out to a better quality tube. I have suffered the same problem with a lot of Chinese preamp tubes in amps I have repaired, these tubes just don't have a lot of low end response. It appears I'll need to get a midi to joystick port cable so I can use some of the Tubefex patches that have been emailed to me. This will be a whole new experience for me, I've only used a Midi-Streamer for storage!
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2001 3:06 pm    

Ken, I've found modifying the Profex II programs by adding the analog preamp is not a good idea. I was never able to come up with an acceptable (to me) sound.
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2001 7:37 pm    

Jack, I tried altering some of the presets with tube effect, you are right on, it does not sound very good. I printed out your settings, thanks. I'll be trying some of the setting that were mailed to me as soon as I get a cable for my computer and a librarian program on board. Thanks, guys!!
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2001 8:50 pm    

I get plenty of low end on my Tubefex.Way more than I can use.And I like low end.In fact, if you chose, you can compete with the bass player and blister a beagle's ear all in the same patch. However I try to EQ a little better than that.I always use 2 EQ's.Some don't.Like Jack, I had to write my own programs to get happy. -----bb
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2001 6:04 am    

I tried some of the Gary Hogue settings that were from Jack's site. The sounds are good, but a bit thin through my old Session 400. The tube preamp appears to have a lot less low end as opposed to the solid state preamp in the TubeFex. When I get home tonight I'll try some different preamp tubes, as well as some NOS RCA 12AT7. I'm curious to see what a lower gain tube might do for the sound. I've read a lot about taming the edgy sound of some tube amps (Hot Rod Deluxe and Blue Deluxe) by changing the initial preamp tube(s) to a 12AT7, 12AY7, or a 12AU7. I tried it on a Peavey Triump 60, for the distortion channel, made a big difference towards smoothing it out.
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2001 6:56 am    

Ken, just for kicks try this. (TB>3B+what ever+whatever+etc).No kidding I get a (lot) better low end with the Tubefex than with any of my Peavey steel amps.You didn't mention your power amp. BTW I don't care for this setting.(TB+3B+etec).To harsh for my ears.Hope this helps.--------bb
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2001 9:02 am    

I'll give that a try, that might explain my problem. I'm using a 1973 Session 400. I'm adjusting the output of the Tubefex down enough to match the volume it would have with just a guitar plugged in. I realize this is a pre-amped signal, but it's working pretty good, no distortion problems with amp. Are you using a seperate power amp/speaker combo or a power amp input on a Peavey amp? I could easily modify my Session 400 to have a power amp input, if needed.
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2001 11:40 am    

Ken, So you're going through the front of an
amp.This is a whole other ball game.You should still have plenty of (Bass)though.I have a 76 Session 400 a great ole amp.But I can get tons more low end with my Tubefex and DPC-750.I always set my outputs wide open.I also set my post gain wide open and set the pre-gain as needed.Unless of course I'm trying to overdrive the pre-amp for distortion.BTW I would turn the pre-gain way down on the Session and try it that way.Hope this helps.--------bb