| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Does It Have The Mod?
John Gretzinger

Canoga Park, CA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2001 9:17 am    

I just picked up a Peavey Nashville 400 that, according to the folks at Peavey, was built in 1988 without the mod kit.

How can I tell if the amp later had the mod kit installed?

I havent' been playing long enough to know from the sound (if that is possible).

The amp itself is beautiful. It's hard to believe it is as old as it is. There are only a couple of faint scratches on one of the black corner covers.

Now I can retire my girlfriend's old Silvertone amp (possibly made by Peavey a bunch of years ago).

I think for $175 I did all right.

jdg

------------------
MSA D-10
'63 Gibson Hummingbird
16/15c Hammered Dulcimer

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2001 1:10 pm    

The only way to tell, for sure is to check the components that are replaced by the mod, including the Op-Amps.

Mike Brown should have the info you need to check it out. There is only one component different between the Lemay mod and the Peavey Factory mod. Lemay changes C41 to 22uf and Peavey does not change that part. (thinking about that I was supposed to e-mail someone that I met at St Louis with that info and I forgot who it was... C.R.S.)
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2001 10:33 pm    

One way to tell if the mod was done is that there is usually flux on the circuit board where the components have been replaced.Almost nobody takes the time and hassle to clean up the flux-I know I don't.I've modded four or five of those things and it's enough trouble taking the whole thing apart,doing the mods,and then putting it back together without also gagging myself with carcinogenic chemicals. -MJ-
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2001 12:06 pm    

Hello John,
Jack is right about the mod kit installation. The only sure way to tell if it is modified is to check the component values. We have displayed our mod kit components on our website that you may use as a reference. Here is the link, however you will need the component layout to verify designation; http://www.peavey.com/mi/nsh400mo.pdf

You may contact me here at Peavey to order the schematic diagram which includes the component layout. My toll free number is 1-877-732-8391. I'll be glad to assist.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation
John Gretzinger

Canoga Park, CA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2001 10:37 am    

Thanks for the suggestions - I guess I'll have to disassemble the thing and take a look (I hope someone has already done the mod).

jdg

------------------
MSA D-10 w/Nashville 400
'63 Gibson Hummingbird
16/15c Hammered Dulcimer