| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Playing MIDI Files
Joe Donahue

Blackwood, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2001 9:07 am    

Many music composition programs, including TABlEdit, will generate a MIDI file which can be played through a PC or even burned to a CD. The CD route is certainly more portable but tempo can't be varied for practice and the lead can't be easily dropped in or out. I'm wondering if there is a piece of portable gear such as the Boss JS-5 Jamstation which will play these files directly if downloaded onto a smart card.

The Boss JS-5 requires realtime MIDI input since it can't read MIDI files off the smart cards. I can use the JS-5 to create simple rhythms in their file format but the intros, drum parts, etc are very limited and there is no efficient way of creating a play-along lead even with a MIDI instrument (which is beyond my equipment, ability and patience).

I'd like to be able to use the PC to load the MIDI file onto a smart card then pop it into something I can run through my amp and use for practice, changing tempo as needed and playing along with the lead or without it.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
John Egenes

Port Chalmers, New Zealand
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2001 7:22 pm    

>>>I'm wondering if there is a piece of portable gear such as the Boss JS-5 Jamstation which will play these files directly if downloaded onto a smart card. <<<

Joe,

You probably wouldn't load them directly onto the smart card from the PC. Most memory cards go with the device they're made for. So, what you do is this: If you've got the midi file on your PC, you do a midi data dump to the Boss JS-5 (or whatever..). In order to do this you need to have a midi interface on your computer. The only way to write directly to the smart card is usually from the device itself.

Most good sound cards have midi interfaces built in nowadays. You need to consult your PC soundcard literature to see if it has midi capabilities. If it does, it should have a place on the back of your computer (on the soundcard) where you plug in a midi cable (5-pin, DIN looking thing).

You should be able to set the JS-5 to recieve sysex (system exclusive) data, and then do a dump to it. Again, you have to read the manuals to figure it out, but it usually isn't that hard. Also, whatever software you're using on the PC has to be able to do the data dump, but most of them will, I think.

I checked out the JS-5 online. It didn't say anything about sysex capabilities, but since the thing is designed for the kind of use you want to put it to, I can't imagine it wouldn't recieve midi data via a midi cable from your computer.

Also, there are 2 types of midi files: (you guessed it...), MIDI type 1, and MIDI type 2. They're called "standard midi files", and the file extension is .MID (if you've got a PC).

Good luck with it. I do a bunch of midi stuff, but not to a standalone device like that. BTW, the reviews are pretty good on the JS-5. Sounds like a cool little gadget.

Good luck

John
Joe Donahue

Blackwood, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2001 6:05 am    

Thanks for the help, John. I tried that MIDI dump early on with both MIDI file types. The JS-5 will not accept them. Perhaps I'm dumping them incorrectly. I can play simple MIDI files by streaming out of the computer to the JS-5 MIDI input but I can't store them. My computer is a recent model Dell with a good sound card. The MIDI output is through a serial (game controller) connector into which I plug an adaptor. I can also save MIDI directly from the PC to the flash memory card.