| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Power amps...Stewart Vs. Mosvalve Vs. ....
forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2001 9:18 pm    

Hi all,

I've seen a couple of posts dealing with rack systems and which type of power amp most of you rackers seem to prefer. What I'm considering going to is a rack system, with my TubeFex for the effects and an Evans pre-amp and obviosly the power amp, or a Walker stereo rig with my TubeFex. I've seen replies to other posts on this subject, but haven't seen any reasons for your preferences. Does one have more warmth than the other, or easier to set up, or more durable? The biggest advantage I can see with the Stewart and the Walker is the weight, but between the three, what are the +'s and -'s??

Your input is appreciated!!

Thanks,

Skeeter
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2001 1:37 am    

I use a MosValve 500 with my Transtube Fex. I use the Transtube Fex as it was designed - for preamp and effects. Using a separate pre-amp with a Transtube Fex or TubeFex is unnecessary redundancy.

I have a MosValve 500 primarily because I traded a Session 400 LTD for it. I didn't have any money to buy a new power amp at the time (still don't). However, I've been told the MosValve is the closest solid state amp in sound to a tube amp. The one thing I do know, EVERYBODY that hears my rack system says it is a super sound and I even have other musicians coming up on stage to see what I'm using because of the sound - nobody does that when I'm using my Nashville 400.

If I were to buy something else, it would probably be a Peavey DPC amp, rather than a Stewart. The one drawback, that I personally see, is the Stewart relies on the ambient air for cooling, it doesn't have a cooling fan built in like most power amps.
I know a lot of people do not think about the cooling, etc but having worked with electronics all my life and at one time as an amp tech I consider equipment cooling as a necessity.

I was at a steel show a couple of years ago and both Hal Rugg and Herby Wallace were using MosValve power amps and their sound was far superior to some other well known steelers with different manufacturer's amps. It was really evident when they had a jam with five steelers.

I know there are other makes of power amps and many work well. You are really going to have to try them for yourself. Everybody has their own idea of what "sounds good".
forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2001 5:32 am    

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the input, this is exactly what I'm looking for!! I do realize that the TubeFex has a built in pre-amp, but I'm not very good at creating/edidting these programs, and unless a program is created with the "Tubes" included in the program you can't adjust your EQ with the knobs and I've never understood Peavey's "number system" when it comes to tweeking these programs. That's why I want to go to an Evans or Walker pre-amp. Thanks for the tip on the amps!! I believe you're right on the aspect of the Stewart not having a fan...I would NOT want that.

Keep the input coming guys!!

Thanks,

Skeeter
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2001 6:05 am    

Quote:
...unnecessary redundancy...

...ironic, isn't it...

On a serious note, I would like to hear comments from anyone who is currently using a Stewart amp. Has anybody A/B'd a Stewart with a Mosvalve or a Walker Stereo Steel power amp using the same preamp, effects and cabs?

[This message was edited by Pat Burns on 29 July 2001 at 08:07 AM.]

Dan Dowd

Paducah, KY, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2001 8:02 am    

I am also considering a rack system and have been looking at Carvin amps. Has anybody tried these amps.
Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2001 8:14 am    

I use a Stewart World 1.2 power amp. It is light and has all the power anyone would need, but then most all of the powers amps have that. The sound I get is clean and pure and I do not have a lack of warmth as I use an Evans pre-amp and Lexicon LXP 1 & 5's for fx. In contrast to what Jack said about it not having a cooling fan, I have driven mine to "my" limit and it or any of the other components have not become excessively hot but I have it in a rack with a door that opens at the bottom side to allow airflow from the bottom to the top so there is no heat build up. The DPC units would be my last choice as I have had 2 DPC 1000's and aside from the noisy fan, they did not produce the quality of sound I was looking for plus they must run on smoke because I lost it on both units. I still have one that needs to go to Peavey to get the smoke put back into it!!! The newer ones may be much better but I have never tried one.
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2001 9:42 am    

I am currently using a Stewart World 1.6 and it is two space and has a fan. It is a very good sounding power amp. I use it with a Bluetube II and a Profex II with the EQ's removed from the programs. I have had a DPC 1000 and it was also a great sounding amp. I sold it to a friend and he is getting a very good sound with it. I have a 4 space Evans power amp and a two space Evans preamp that are mounted together in a 6 space rack and are quite heavy, they are great for use at our Oprey show where I can leave it set up. I use a Profex II with it also with the EQ's removed. I recently sold my Mosvalve 1500 which was not as quiet as the Stewart.
(hum)
Jerry
Garry Pugh

Nashville Indiana
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2001 6:05 pm    

I have owned both. I prefer the Stewart PA 1000. It has never over-heated on me and I run it for up to 6 hours at a time.
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2001 8:44 pm    

I've said this before recently, but I sold my MosValve 1500 right after I got a VHT 2/90/2 amp. I thought the MV was really good (and it is), but the VHT just blows it away, IMO. Powerful amp; deep, rich low end with tons of punch. It's a great amp.
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 1:16 am    

For clean steel, I rank the amps I have used recently as follows:

1. VHT 2/90/2. This thing just kills, you don't know what warm sounds like with a rack unit until you at least try this amp. It is HEAVY.

2. VHT 2/50/2. This is the best rock and roll power amp I have used, but it isn't as clean at high volumes as most steel players would like.

3. MossValve 500. This is a great sounding amp, very 'tube-like', but it doesn't have the character of the VHT amps.

4. World 1.2. I actually really like this amp. It is very, very clean, has tons of power, and is very light. It has this pristine hi-fi sound that is appealing. I would definitely consider buying one again. But for me, the tube amps and the tube sounding amp (the MossValve) definitely beat it in terms of balls and character.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com
Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 4:33 pm    

What music stores sell the VHT amp, and what do they cost, and who gives the best deal? Will they be sold in St. Lois? Thanks!
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 7:10 pm    

Fred,

Here is there web site:

http://www.vhtamp.com/

They are good guys and easy to deal with directly. I use a VHT 2/90/2 also and it is a world apart in tone and response from other power amps. The only thing that comes close to the 2/90/2 would be an old Macintosh tube power amp from the mid 70's.

Bob
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2001 6:06 am    

...the 2/90/2 isn't cheap...Musician's friend has it discounted down to $1279.99...
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2001 7:50 am    

They pop up regularly on E-Bay at reasonable prices (~$600-800). I got a decent deal on mine there last year. It IS heavy, though, like Dan said, but it is a teriffic amp and you'll hear the difference right away.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2001 8:10 am    

I'm using a Mesa/Boogie 50/50. It sounds great, but it sure is heavy. Gets pretty warm, too.