| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help! with Sho-Bud single channel
bill dearmore

Belton,Tx.,USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2001 9:57 pm    

Hi gang, just got this old single channel Sho-Bud and on the back is three(3)jacks- I'm sure one is for the speaker but not sure which! Is one a pre-amp out? Thanks, Bill
bill dearmore

Belton,Tx.,USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2001 3:26 am    

also, will a 4ohm spk work on what I'm sure is an 8ohm output without damage. Thanks,Bill
Bob Metzger

Waltham (Boston), MA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2001 10:58 am    

This is a Sho-Bud amp, right? Is it tube or solid state? If it's solid state, go for it; hookup any speaker you like. How are you using it? If you're playing the amp quietly, you probably won't have any problems with it. If you're driving it really hard, I'd investigate a little deeper to see what kind of speaker array this amp is happiest with. Is it a 'head only' or is it in a speaker cab?
Can you see some output transistors on the chassis? How many? As you can see, more information is needed.

Bob
bill dearmore

Belton,Tx.,USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2001 11:24 am    

Hello Bob, yes this is a reg. single channel amp without a spkr. I'ts the two transistor type. I will be using it in a club type situation and will probally be punching fairly hard. If one of the jacks is a pre-amp out I had even thought of using my crown power amp with a couple of spkr cabnets. Is this possible? Thanks for any and all the help,Bill
Bob Metzger

Waltham (Boston), MA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2001 12:48 pm    

Bill,
To know definitively what the jacks do, you either have to take it apart or see a schematic. I've got a Sho-Bud amp that's got an output jack for a high frequency horn on it so anything is possible with these amps. If you do take it apart, make a schematic of the output section and a parts layout as well. With transistor amps, as the impedance goes down, the power transfer becomes more efficient so it's generally ok to use a 4 ohm speaker but I wouldn't go below 4 ohms. I found some great little heatsinks that I place over my output transistors (TO-3 package) and my Sho-Bud amp is happy as a clam and runs cooler. You generally won't hurt a solid state amp by running it with no speaker attached (unlike a tube power amp) so just experiment with the jacks and see what sounds the best. I usually run my Sho-Bud amp in stereo with a (very clean) Fender amp and I get a very good sound that way.

If you want, you can email me your schematic/layout and I'll help to identify the various jacks for you.

Bob
bill dearmore

Belton,Tx.,USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2001 9:54 pm    

Thanks Bob, I tried it and found the two(2) jacks on the left are spkr outs, and nothing out of the far right one. still don't know what that one is. See Ya,Bill