| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Q. for Mike Brown Black Widow/Scorpion Spkr
Henning Kock

Denmark
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2001 10:24 pm    

2. July 2001
Hi Mike,
I blow the Scorpion speaker in a Peavey Renown 112 amp. Can I buy a 12 inch Black Widow speaker to put in?
All the best
Henning
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
Henning Kock
(pedal steel guitar, piano, keyboards)
Henning K. Music
111 Aarhusvej
DK-8300 Odder
Denmark,
Europe
phone 8654 2959
-----------------------------------------------
e-mail address: henningkmusic@hotmail.com
webpages:
merchandise trade: henningkmusic.subnet.dk
pedal steel guitar: www.geocities.com/Nashville/1520
piano & keyyboard: www.danskmusik.com/dmfbook/selskab/html/henning_kock.html www.festmusik.dk/henning_kock.html

and for musical instrument products wholesale (to dealers): www.henningkmusic.subnet.dk

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 10:42 am    

Sure. I recommend the 1203-4 ohm Black Widow. The item number is 000211100. But you need to determine the reason for failure. If the voice coil is burned, the failure could be due to insuffient headroom(power). Therefore, the speaker is not the problem. The problem is that you need a more powerful amplifier and/or more speakers. Please obtain assistance from your local Peavey distributor.
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 12:08 pm    

Mike...
While not wishing to cause a train-wreck here but,

Quote:
If the voice coil is burned, the failure could be due to insuffient headroom(power). Therefore, the speaker is not the problem.

I am haveing trouble understanding how the transducer is not the problem.

1) If the voice coil burnt out, it seems that the speaker didn't have the ability to handle the high current presented to it from the amp.(and simply burnt out,just like a light bulb)

2) I don't think the answer is more speakers added either. Adding another transduce(s) will lower the impedience as seen by the amp, (txmer output amps are worst that the SS amps with this) and possible take out the final stages of the amp. Still if the offending speaker isn't capable of handleing the current, it's still going to fail.

Now, with all that said,I am going to make an assumption here, Do we really mean,We need MORE amp power ?? Or do we really need MORE current handling capability of the speaker ??

The quoted answer is opposite to all my electronic training (in power theory) and I'm a bit slow understanding this post.

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 04 July 2001 at 06:51 AM.]

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 4:33 am    

If that amp has an internal problem, it could have sent a square wave to the speaker and burned it out. I've seen speakers blow that have been underpowered, (insufficient head room.)causing a great deal of heat to the speakers voice coil.
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 5:47 am    

Quote:
I've seen speakers blow that have been underpowered, (insufficient head room.)causing a great deal of heat to the speakers

I'm sure the underlying words here are "speakers" and "underpowered" which to me,means that the speakers are NOT capable of handleing the current presented to it.

Example:

Connecting a 100 watt capability speaker to a 200-300 watt amp and playing it at the upper end of the volumne control. Naturally,it's going to take out the speaker.

As for "Square Wave" signals being presented to the device, I'm sure that would be only because the final stage of an ampifier had a defective output Q stage in it. I cannot think of any reason why someone would put a square wave signal to any analog type device. Especially an audio ampifier. Square wave stuff is fine for timeing and digital control products,but to a audio amp, it's distortion to the ear and extreamly hard on the speaker and final output stages of an analog type ampifier. these devices weren't designed to handle such sharp cut-off and turn-on signals

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 04 July 2001 at 07:39 AM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 8:28 am    

Transients are one of the prime speaker failure problems. The transient power peaks can be 4 times the average RMS power. e.g. at 50 watts rms the transient COULD be 200 watts peak.

That's what did in a lot of the original transistor amps. That was one of the problems with the original solid state Fender line that was introduced aroun 1970 and promptly taken off the market.

In early design solid state amps, they had problems with the power amp section blowing and in those days if the power output transistors blew it took drivers and power supply componets out too).