| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What is the best foot pedal??
Bill Sampler

Post  Posted 23 Apr 2001 7:55 am    

I'm new to playing the steel and I was wondering what is the "best" foot pedal on the market these days??

Bill Sampler
Mullen SD12 7/5
David Weaver

Aurora, CO USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2001 9:02 am    

Volume pedal?

Probably the Hilton. It's getting all the attention now. Contact Keith Hilton via a search or check with some of the vendors that are linked.

(You said "best" not "cheapest"!)

------------------
Sho-Bud Pro II Custom, Sierra Artist S-10, Fessenden S-10, Session 2000

[This message was edited by David Weaver on 23 April 2001 at 10:03 AM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2001 10:51 am    

I agree. If you want the "best" pedal, the Hilton is the one.
Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2001 7:19 am    

I have had my Hilton for almost a year, and I
am very pleased with it. I have used many
different brands over the last 40 years, and
the Hilton is the best. Besides, Keith is a
great guy and will back his product 100%. No,
not the cheapest, but the best for my $$.

Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ
Where the Sun Always Shines
Smokey Fennell

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2001 10:59 am    

I had a ground problem with one of the early units and Keith replaced it with a completely new pedal. He was really great at answering my questions promptly. I love the new pedal and think that it is the very best available.
Bill Sampler

Post  Posted 24 Apr 2001 1:25 pm    

Does anyone know how much these are and where I can get one??

------------------
Bill Sampler
Mullen SD12 Universal 7/5
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2001 2:47 pm    

Keith has a web pabe and is on the forum quite a bit. I don't remember exactly how much they are so I won't approximate. You can buy direct or through a dealer. Herby Wallace is selling them and currently has a notice in the buy and sell about them.
David Weaver

Aurora, CO USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2001 2:49 pm    

klhilton@aol.com.

[This message was edited by David Weaver on 24 April 2001 at 03:51 PM.]

Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2001 12:12 pm    

Keith used to have a website, but it doesn't seem to be working. Joe Wright has a website that sells the Hilton pedals. Here's the page:
http://www.pedalsteel.com/cgi-bin/joe_store/psg.cgi?product=me262&cart_id=3129642_4719
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2001 2:55 pm    

Keith's web page is off of Duane's Music's web page. Apparently Duane's web page is down as it times out trying to access it.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2001 2:10 am    

I just got an update from Keith.

The web page for Hilton Electronics is now www.hiltonelectronics.com

He had to move it as the former site that was hosting his web page was being dropped.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2001 7:38 am    

The best cheap pedal is an old Fender, I don't think they make them anymore...but used ones are available for under $100.
Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2001 9:13 am    

I am using the new Hilton electric and I like it a lot. I carry a Goodrich for a spare. There is no tone difference in any of the non electric pedals if you have the same potentiometer in them. It is just a matter of what looks good to you and feels comfortable to use. Goodrich makes a pedal with battery electronics, but I didn't like it with my Emmons guitar. It caused a lot of hum for me and was unbearable to use. The hum was louder than the notes being played.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2001 12:18 pm    

I somehow manage to get by using a plain old pot and string volume pedal with no active electronics. The standard Goodrich volume pedals are well made, easy to deal with and half the price of the Hilton.

Bob

[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 27 April 2001 at 01:20 PM.]

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2001 11:24 am    

Bill,
You may find that active pedals colour the signal unacceptably. The one I tried also had a very small operating 'window' making it virtually unusable. Simple pot pedals are far better IMHO.
Richard.
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2001 7:39 am    

Richard Burton, where did you try one of our pedals in England, and who's pedal was it? I have no dealers in England, and have a list of all people I have sent pedals to in England. Raymon, there are many people using the 710 and other humbucking pickups with our pedals. Raymond, I'm courious who's pedal you tried, as I don't have a dealer in your area.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2001 9:24 am    

I have Lawrence 710's on my Franklin. I didn't think it could get any better either and had no reason to even consider anything other than my Goodrich 120, until I tried a Hilton Pedal. There was a definate improvement and there was enough improvement that one day I'll get a Hilton pedal.
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2001 9:56 am    

Keith,
The active pedal I tried was a Goodrich, I have not tried one of your pedals yet.
Richard.
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 30 Apr 2001 10:45 am    

Richard, you are correct about most "active" pedals coloring the sound. Most of the old light beam pedals used photo-resistors and didn't use a pre-amp before processing the signal. This caused the pickup to have high end frequency milked off. Those that did use pre-amps in the first stage didn't use quality pre-amps. You simply can't get a 741 op amp that costs $.29 cents to sound like a Analog Devices chip costing $3.78. Almost 99.999% of all the active pedals made today are made for the 6 string standard guitar-rock-pop market. All of these pedals are more than just a volume pedal, they have various effects in them. In most cases more thought ,by the designer, was put into how the effects sound rather than the bypassed clean clear sound. The more effects you add to a pedal, the more chance you have of coloring the clean clear sound when in by-pass mode. I hope you get to try one of my pedals. I think you would really enjoy attending Scotty's International Convention in St. Louis, Missouri. Several people from England attend every year.

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 30 April 2001 at 11:48 AM.]

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2001 1:39 pm    

Keith: If you want to get any advertisement on the front of your pedal, you are going to have to redisign your tag. My wife, nor myself could stand to look at that ugly yellow sticker. It is now on the bottom of my pedal.
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 30 Apr 2001 2:15 pm    

Fred, you are not alone! There have been several people who didn't like the color yellow for a label. I am not offended by those who take the lable off. There have been other people who removed the Hilton sticker,for reasons other than the yellow color. Jeff Peterson of the Clint Black show told me Clint made him take the label off. Clint said it looked like he was advertising for the Hilton Hotels. I agree that yellow was not a wise choice, but the color did get people's attention. The last thing I wanted to do is have my sticker look like my competition's sticker. For those of you with pretty guitars, who's color clashes with yellow, be advised my new stickers are toned down. They are a non-reflective silver with black lettering. Now my stickers are the same color as Peavey's and all the rest. If you would like me to send you the new sticker, e-mail me your address. I have a big smile on my face---and I do understand how yellow can clash! Sorry! We really appreciate you using our product Fred! I truley feel honored when I see someone on stage using a Hilton pedal.
Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2001 4:51 pm    

Thanks Keith. That is very gracious, and I will do it. I hated to remove it, but it just did not suit my taste. If you send me the new one I will put it on. The pedal is great.
jerry wallace

Artesia , NM (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 May 2001 12:21 am    

I have been using the Hilton pedal now everyday for a year..It has performed perfectly..Its also nice not to have to worry about the pot noise or string breaking..I have 6 pot type of volume pedals but I use the Hilton..As far as the Yellow sticker on the front,I cut a white piece of poster board put my name on it in 1/2" black letters and used double sided tape to cover up the yellow sticker..{Your yellow sticker is still there Keith}..Keith here is and ideal, offer the customers name on your pedal in someting other than yellow!!

------------------
Jerry Wallace- "98 Zum: D-10,8+8, "96 Zum: D-10,8+5,Nashville 1000,Session 500 ,Tubefex,ProfexII, Artesia, New Mexico