| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What's the difference between the 400's?
Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2001 8:02 am    

Hi all, I'm wondering what the differences are between the various 400 series Peavey amps, the Session, Nashville, Vegas, and Reno. Is there a website that shows the specs for these amps? I've been playing my steel through my Magnatone and Gibson guitar amps (great amps for my Tele), and I'd like to get an amp with more headroom that is voiced for the steel. These amps seem to be readily available and not too expensive. For example, there's a Reno 400 in the paper for $190.

Thanks for your help!
Cliff

[This message was edited by Cliff Kane on 25 March 2001 at 08:03 AM.]

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2001 8:17 am    

Hi Cliff,
The Reno is voiced for acoustic applications,I don't think you would be satisfied with it for steel.
Your best bet would be a Vegas 400, as it has a clean channel for steel and a channel that can be overdriven for guitar etc.
The Vegas is a favorite for many steel players.
The Nashville and Sessions are basically designed for Steel guitar.

Regards,

------------------

Bob

'71 Emmons D10, 8&4
'75 Zum (Lacquer)D10, 8&6
Stewart World 1.2
Peavey TransTube Fex
Peavey 112Es
Korg DTR-1
Smile:)

Kevin Walker

Roanoke,VA. UNITED STATES
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2001 8:24 am    

You can access PEAVEYS' website under links at the opening page of the forum. You can download manuals for these amplifiers there.
I own 2 Session 500's. I have owned two Nashvilles, 1 Vegas and a Session 400. I never cared much for any of the above other than the 500 series. I guess it's all in what you want to hear. I will say that PEAVEY provides excellent service and I've never had any real problems with any of these amplifiers.
,Kevin
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2001 9:21 am    

One of the big difference between the Session 400 series and the Session 500/Vegas/Nashville 400, Nashville 1000 series is the EQ. The Session 400 has a more conventional EQ system, where the others have a parametric EQ which is useful for the mids. All the steel amps have 15" speakers and the later ones, such as the Nashville 400 (late production models) and 1000 use the 1501 BW speaker which according to Peavey is voiced for steel.

A parametric EQ allows targeting a specific frequency and then cutting or boosting that frequency. In the case of steel, most set the frequency at 800Hz and then cut that freq (I set mine on -3 as an initial
setting).
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2001 11:55 am    

Jack said it best. I have all 3 units, A early "Sessions 400, Nashville 400, and a Profex II". My first choice is the early "Sessions 400" for overall sound,(I have modified it a bit tho)but I use the rack-mount stuff for serious gigs. That allows me to move from the plain ole' sound to the more exotic sounds desired by "new wave"groups.

My only reason for not using the eary "Sessions 400" is that I can no longer lug that thing up and down stairwells and such due to a health problem. If I am in a situation that I can get someone to cart it for me, I use it !!

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 25 March 2001 at 11:57 AM.]

Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2001 5:16 pm    

Thanks for the good info, guys.

Best wishes,
Cliff

[This message was edited by Cliff Kane on 26 March 2001 at 05:17 PM.]