| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another Pro-fex Question
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2001 9:59 pm    

I use two different Steel Guitar Amps (Nashville 400 & Nashville 1000. . .both Peavey). I've tried hooking it through the front of the amp in the (Pre-EQ Patch In & Out jacks) and through the back of the Amp in the (Power Amp In & Out jacks).
the profex unit sounds much cleaner when it's plugged in through the back of the Amp (Power Amp In & Out) especially with the noise-gate density. Is this where I should run it.

Nick

[This message was edited by Nick Reed on 23 March 2001 at 10:01 PM.]

Bill Sharpe

Hermitage, TN 37076, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2001 10:09 pm    

Nick: I have mine (Profex II),running to the "amp in" on my 400 in the back of the amp, and Mary's Profex II on the Session 500 to the back of the amp, and it is much quieter than going direct to the front of the amp. Besides, once you have the Profex operating, you really don't need any of the settings on the front of the amp. Both Mike Brown, and Jack Stoner also recommend this set up.

Speaking of Jack Stoner; If you go to his site, Gulf Coast Steel Guitar, Jack has written out the settings for the Profex as used by Jeff Newman, and you can print off the document. Very helpful in understanding the Profex settings whether it's a Profex I or II.

While you're there, check out his CD too!

Regards,
Bill

------------------
B#

[This message was edited by Bill Sharpe on 23 March 2001 at 10:15 PM.]

[This message was edited by Bill Sharpe on 23 March 2001 at 10:16 PM.]

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2001 11:12 pm    

Thank you Bill Sharpe & Jack Stoner. I was able to download and print the Jeff Newman settings for my profex. This is gonna be terrific. Thanks, Nick
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2001 2:54 am    

Nick, the Profex II (and the newer Tubefex and Transtube Fex) are designed to be the preamp and effects processor, and drive a (stereo) power amp. Consequently running it directly to the power amp in is the preferred method.

Some cut the output level down and run it like any other effect processor, either in line with the guitar or in the effect loop. This works but you are bucking EQ's as you have EQ in the Profex II and EQ in the amplifier. If you want to try it that way, set the EQ in the amp flat and go from there.
Buck Grantham R.I.P.

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2001 8:12 pm    

Nick, Run it to the amp jack on the back of the Nashville. Also the programs are a good starting point, so take one of the programs that you don't like and start editing it until you get the sound you want out of it. You'll probably end up with 7 or 8 programs that you'll use all the time. Luck
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2001 10:45 pm    

Hey Nick.....

Ain't that Profex II a teriffic toy.
I'v been useing one for about 3 years or so.

If you can find the time, swing by my house and we can A/B different hook-ups and settings. As the Profex II dosen't need a pre-amp in front of it, I don't understand some of the hook-ups I see posted here from time to time.

See ye,

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2001 7:45 am    

Bill, I'll be glad to explain hookup connections using a Profex with Peavey amps and/or offer suggestions. I can be reached at the Peavey factory by calling our toll free number at 1-877-732-8391 in the U.S.. Outside the U.S. our number is (601)483-5365. Thanks for choosing and using Peavey products.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation