| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lexicon MPX 1
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2001 8:56 pm    

I have one of these and know without a doubt that they are a very good unit and I have seen many of you guys post that you use them and like them very much. I don't know how I can be helped to understand but I sure would appreciate some of you trying to help me find something on it I really like. I can use a Profex II with LeMay mod in an Evans combo and be perfectly happy. I can use a rack setup with the Profex II and be happy but I can never quite find what I am looking for with the MPX1 with any kind of amp or rack. If some of you could take the time to email me with some of your favorite settings or some advise (please don't tell me to get rid of it) I would appreciate the help. It may be just to complicated for my non-tech mentality.
Thanks,
Jerry
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2001 4:46 am    

Good Morning Jerry,

It was nice to hear that someelse has one of these units as well as me. I love mine. It is somewhat complex and the manual is not easy to use but the results are great. I noticed in your post that you have a profex11. May I suggest to you that you use both units in tangent.

This is my setup basically, I use the TubeFex because of the good pre-amp qualities that it has. I use the eq and tube settings primarily. I take the output of that into one side of the Lexicon and feed it to both sides. That can be setup in the lex itself. My favorite setting for starters is 37 which is the big chamber setting and then I modify it from there. Also I set the master mix level at 25-30% on the Lexicon.

Finally if you have midi capability on your machine I have a nifty free program that allows you to program the MPX-1 from your computer. Then you can really see all that is going on as you make changes and especially the effects as you add them in. I for one don't use alot of effects other than reverb so I don't mess with that part of it a whole lot.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need the program.

Regards,

Mark T.
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2001 10:24 am    

For all the complexity of these things, I use mine fairly simply. I tend to like a delay effect more than reverb, depending on the situation, so two of my favorites presets are TapDly/Rvb (#56) or TapEcho (#7). I copy these to an available location (>#200) and adjust the delay and tempo to taste. For reverb alone, you can get a whole range of effects from a sort of clean, short decay sound (I like #22 Vocal Plate) to some of the larger hall or chamber reverbs like Mark mentioned. I also like RvbEkoMorph (#2) and MorphSpaces (#49) for some more lush sounding stuff.

There's no getting away from tweaking yourself, though. And I'd stay away from Submarine (#99)...
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2001 9:49 pm    

"I take the output of that into one side of the Lexicon and feed it to both sides."
I'm sorry Mark but you lost me with this statement. Can you help me to understand what you mean? Please try again, I am very interested in what you have to say. Steve, I have discovered #2 and #49 but I guess some tweeking is in order.
Thanks,
Jerry

[This message was edited by Jerry Roller on 23 February 2001 at 09:52 PM.]

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2001 10:05 am    

Mark, thanks for the email and explanation. I already have the Lexicon and Profex II mounted in a rack so I will try your suggestion tonight along with Steve's favorite presets and see what I can come up with. Thank you guys for the responses.
Jerry
Dave Smith

Whipple/Marietta, OH USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2001 8:48 am    

Mark - Could you please post the clarafication that you emailed to Jerry. I too was confused about your hookup. Thanks.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2001 8:56 am    

FWIW, Pat Martino was using one of these the other night when I saw him with Joey DeFrancesco.
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2001 4:56 pm    

Hi Dave,

This is how I have my steel setup. Mullen steel into Hilton Pedal to Tube Fex. Left output of Tubefex into left input on Lexicon MPX-1. ( The Lexicon allows you to take one input and feed it to both left and right sides of the Lex). The outputs of the Lexicon go into my Makcie Console. If I am using the amp I just take the left output of the lexicon into the amp. If I were fortunate enough to have two amps, I could play in stereo.

Hope this helps.

Mark T.
Dave Smith

Whipple/Marietta, OH USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2001 5:28 am    

Thanks Mark - I also use a Tubefex and a Lexicon (MPX-100) but instead of going series from guitar - Tubefex - MPX - Power amp I use the effects loop of the Tubefex to connect the Lexicon. When I want the Lexicon in a program I just include the FX effect in the program. Haven't tried your hookup. May play around with it and use the "bypass" switch on the Lexicon if I don't want it in the program. I'm not expert in these matters but don't know why it would matter which way you do it. Any thoughts??
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2001 6:46 am    

Mark - Why do you use only the left output signal from the Tubefex instead of going with both left and right Tubefex outputs into the left and right Lexicon inputs?
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2001 3:33 pm    

Hey Stevo,

I use only the left side because the steel is mono and not stereo. I only use eq and tube on the tubefex so I don't have a reason for going stereo (Or do I?)

What are your thoughts Steve.

Mark T.
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2001 6:27 pm    

Hey Mark -

Several of the stock presets are already set up to give stereo effects ritght out of the box. Additionally, many of the specific effects (e.g., delay, echo, tremolo) can be set up for either stereo or mono, and the relative outlput levels (left or right) can be adjusted to taste. That's one of the things I like about this unit: you have a lot of control - far more than I'll ever dream of using.

The reverb is also run off of a separate, dedicated chip so that you can apparently run stereo reverb in addition to other effects running on the main processor. Finally, there is this 'routing' capability, where you can map different signals through independent stereo paths, etc. That's all way beyond anything I've fooled with, but the relative wet/dry, left/right mix is do-able.

Seems like there's a lot to chew on here...
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2001 6:39 pm    

Hi Steve,

Are you talking about the Lexicon or the TubeFex?. I am very familiar with the effects in the Lex and how to make them in stereo. I know that the Tubefex has stereo effects as well but I use the ones in the Lexicon instead the Tubefex.

I am always open to suggestions and I want to learn as much as possible about my gear. Could you tell what you suggest and what you do? Like I said earlier I only use the Tubefex for EQ and the tube; I feel that the effects in the lexicon are more suitable for how I play.

All the best.

Mark T.
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2001 8:05 pm    

I use both channels of the Profex II or the Lexicon, whichever unit I am using, and if I am using a rack I go stereo and if I am using an Evans LV which I have recently become quite fond of I run both channels into the two inputs on the combo amp. That way I know I am getting everything out of the processor from both sides. I know it makes a difference on some presets. Problem is I usually come up with one preset that I like better than any others and play it all night while occasionally changing the mix to fit the particular song we are playing. All this info is very interesting. Please keep it coming and others please join in. I have tried to read the manual but I have a hard time forcing myself to do that.
Jerry

[This message was edited by Jerry Roller on 27 February 2001 at 08:08 PM.]

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2001 6:56 am    

Mark - Sorry, I was talking about the MPX-1; I don't have a Tubefex. I go with a stand alone preamp. Anyway, I'm at work right now, but I'll have to play around some more with this thing. I do kinda look at it like Jerry, though, in that I prefer using both inputs and outputs on the MPX-1.

Bye.
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2001 11:35 am    

Hi Steve,

I do run the stereo outputs of the Lexicon. I just send in a mono feed to both sides.

Mark