Author Topic:  John Hughey , what was his setup
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2007 4:01 am    

Anyone know what John's setup was , what amp,settings,FX's
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2007 4:38 am    

John's guitar set-up is listed on his website.
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2007 5:07 am    

That is just his guitar setup
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2007 8:20 am    

John, I can tell you about John's amp setup since he had me build and put them together for him. For the past 2 years or so John had been using this same basic setup. John had three rigs. Each one consisted of a rack using a Revelation Tube Preamp and a Lexicon MPX-1 for delay and reverb.

One rig was for studio only and had no amplifier involved, just a "More Me" monitor controller/mixer that allowed him to control his own headphone mix when recording.

One of his live rigs had the Revelation and the MPX-1 in a rack, and then he had a pair of Evans speaker cabinets loaded with JBL D130 speakers. Inside each of those speaker cab's was mounted a small, lightweight Stewart PA100b power amp.

His most recent rig was also a Revelation Tube Preamp, an MPX-1, and also a Stewart World 2.1 power amp all mounted in a custom 4 space rack. That let him use his non-powered speaker cabinets also loaded with JBL D130 speakers. All the setups were pretty identical in that they used the Revelation Tube Preamp, the Lexicon MPX-1, and JBL D130's (for live use). In the studio John had been recording direct from the Revelation preamp and Lexicon some or much of the time.

Buddy Castleberry handled the programing of John's Lexicon MPX-1 effects units. Buddy can still be contacted for his wisdom on the subject.

Brad
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2007 8:31 am    

Thanks Brad, no wonder he sounded so good , plus his beautiful touch on the steel.
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2007 8:41 am    

John could make anything sound amazing, but thank you!

Brad
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2007 9:11 am    

John Roche wrote:
Thanks Brad, no wonder he sounded so good , plus his beautiful touch on the steel.

Well John, I think the touch that you mentioned is 95%. Rest assured he didn't have anything like those electronics back in the Conway days. Give that man any reasonably good quality guitar and he'd make it sound good. That's obviously something that separates the world-class players from the rest of us.
Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2007 11:38 am    

Buddy Castleberry is the man when it comes to programming the Lexicon MPX1. He helped me programme the "Hughey" presets into my unit which sound great. Thanks Buddy.
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2007 6:23 pm    

Brad, you forgot to mention the Zumsteel guitar, and the Hilton pedal. John first saw my pedal about 8 years ago in Tulsa. Shortly after that, I played a show with John in Siloam Springs, Arkansas. That is when John bought 2 of my pedals. A year or so later, he bought 2 more of my pedals. John had 4 of my pedals, and talked Hal Rugg into buying 2. I will never forget the first time I saw John, he was playing for Conway Twitty. John was selling records before the show started. Brad, I played through Jerry Newberry's rig in Baxter Springs, Kansas. Jerry's rig is exactly the same as John's except for Eminence speakers. Brad, it is the best sound I have ever----EVER----got. I attribute most of the sound quality to your Revelation Pre Amp. I need to buy one.
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2007 7:25 pm    

Yeah Keith, I forgot to mention anything about the gear that comes earlier in the audio chain as you mentioned. My bad, as they say. Thanks for the kind words on Jerry Newberry's rig. That's quite a rig he's got. The Rev is just one part of that killer sound he gets. That Hilton pedal in there sure doesn't hurt. Wink

Brad
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2007 1:28 pm    

I saw John play in London in 1972 with Conway Twitty. He was playing through a Fender Dual Showman stack with 2 x 15" JBL's (supplied by the tour crew) and his playing and sound was simply amazing.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2007 9:31 am     set ups, pedals, etc.

The HILTON electronic pedal, in my opinion, is the best pedal ever made for PSG. I have two of them. There's a difference whenever you switch from brand-A to a Hilton. No doubt about it. Hal Higgins introduced me to the Hilton pedal. I beleive JH played a DAY set up. His effects always sounded great. I keep my set up simple with a FSK and a DD3-delay. I'm not very good with the electronic effects items. Guess I just need to take the time to read how they work.
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2007 10:20 pm    

Which Eminence speaker is Jerry Newberry using ?