| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SuperBro bypass
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2000 6:12 am    

I finally broke down and picked up a SuperBro. I really think that over $400 is pretty darn steep for an effect (are there particularly expensive components in this thing?), but I'm recording some Dobro parts on my friend's project and he'll want those parts in the songs when he plays out. I figured I'd avoid the headache of getting a good live sound out of my Dobro.

I have to say, the SuperBro does a pretty good job of getting that sound (and I'm sure as I learn to manipulate the tone & timbre pots on the unit and adjust my amplifier properly I'll get better at finding a great tone), but I've got a couple complaints:

1) Full bypass switch. I've never used a matchbox, so I'm not familiar with this aspect of the unit, but what's up with the GIANT difference in level? The Dobro simulator screams, then when I bypass the effect the level drops drastically. Why wouldn't they just bypass the Dobro effect and leave the gain at the same level?

2) No battery compartment door. Why would ANYONE (and Goodrich is certainly not alone here) build a unit that does not have a battery compartment door that is easy to open (ie: without a screwdriver)? This unit is for live applications, right? What if you need to change a battery quickly during a set?

Griping aside, the unit sounds really cool and will help me avoid some frustration at future shows. Of course, the frustration that comes from not playing well yet is another story. No EFX box in the world can solve that problem.