| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fingerpick Advice for a Beginner
David Thornburgh

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2001 6:01 am    

A question about fingerpicks. Having played a lap steel for all of a month, I picked up Arlen Roth's lap steel video and was surprised to see that he played without picks. Is that unusual? Seems to me it's much easier to damp without picks, but at the expense of tone and perhaps some useful technique. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
nick allen

France
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2001 6:28 am    

Try using the "Search" function, in this section and/or "Bar Chatter" (enter "fingerpicks" as the search word), and you'll find a number of threads on the subject - with varying points of view expressed
Personally I use a thumbpick and no fingerpicks - a combination of nail and flesh on the fingers - and like (was it Hunter?) used to say - "It works for me".
Nick
John Kavanagh

Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2001 6:57 am    

The short answer for most people - most but not all experienced players would agree with me - is that you'll be very very tempted to play without picks when you play at home, and you'll regret it as soon as you play in a band.

The warm sound of bare fingers, and the convenience of the surfaces God gave you for downpicking and damping, are very nice indeed, but the extra snap and brightness of picks seem to be what you need be heard above the other instruments, and the harsh overtones you hear at home will get lost entirely.

I prefer playing without picks too, but as soon as there's more than a couple of other people playing, on they go again.
Al Terhune

Newcastle, WA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2001 2:31 pm    

Hi David,

If you choose to use picks, try pushing them down far onto your finger, and bend them along with the contour of your fingertip (about 35 degrees or so)so that they are "another layer of skin." The tips barely reach above your fingers. Well, give it a try, anyway. Works great for me. Too, I found the older-style Nationals (you can still get them) are longer, which is more suitable for this style.

Al

[This message was edited by Al Terhune on 10 April 2001 at 05:29 AM.]

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2001 5:59 am    

Al: What a morning this is. Check the post
on Jerry Byrd's Quiet picking. I told Ray that I was afraid I'd look foolish if I ever said anything about Jerry's first three strings.

And then I read you post about how you wear
your finger picks. I do it the same way I suppose because Necessity are Mother of Invention. But I would never tell anyone because it wasn't the way those big guys did
it and I wouldn't even let anyone use my picks because I was afraid they'd find out and tell. I mean how foolish can you be?

The best way is to try different things and if it works for you it's good for you. Thanks
for opening my eyes! Regards Paul