| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Keith Hilton / Gary and Coppera's Gap
Per Kammersgaard

Sonderborg, Denmark
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2006 5:57 am    

Just got this Keith Hilton CD this morning - and I'm listening for the fourth time now. You seldom find an album this straight ahead texan. Not even from a Texas act. Keith handles the steelchores and produces. But the bandname is "Gary and Coppera's Gap" - and you should really look hard, to get an indication, that this is a country music CD. I understand, that most of the pickers are or has been associated with Mel Tillis - but what about the leadsinger: Gary Atkinson. Does anyone has any info on him. I've searced the net, but haven't found anything on him - nor the band.

PK

[This message was edited by Per Kammersgaard on 27 June 2006 at 07:00 AM.]

[This message was edited by Per Kammersgaard on 27 June 2006 at 07:00 AM.]

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2006 10:50 am    

Per, how did you like the two naked babes on the front cover? Coppera's Gap is a very small town in Arkansas, along the Arkansas River. That is where Gary Atkinson is from.
Gary has been a singer and guitar player all his life. I had the pleasure of working with him for 4 or 5 years back in the 70's. Besides great classic country, Gary can play and sing 50's rock and roll as good as Carl Perkins. Gary and I worked with Carl Perkins on a big show in Joplin Missouri. I like playing 50's rock and roll on E9th steel guitar. Back to the musicians on the new CD:
From the Mel Tillis band--Brian Sterling Guitar and Tic Tac Guitar,--- on Fiddles Wade Landry from the Mel Tillis band---on Drums Chuck Landry from the Mel Tillis band---on piano R.P. Harrell from the Country Tonight show in Branson---Upright Bass Carl Garner from the Dewayne Bowman Band---Harmony vocal Bobby Blackburn from the Pierce Arrow Show in Branson--All E9th Pedal Steel Guitar played by a dummy from Ozark Missouri who builds volume pedals---Lead vocals by Gary Atkinson. Studio coordination and band leader for the CD, Terry Bethel of the Mel Tillis Show. Terry Bethel did not play steel guitar on this CD, the dummy from Ozark Missouri played all the steel guitar. Per, I am happy you liked the CD. I really liked what you said about our CD playing Texas music better than the Texans. I think that is what you said????? We did our best on this CD, and it was a lot of work. Played better than Texans, I LIKE THAT! I hope Bobby Flores read that. Thanks.

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 27 June 2006 at 11:52 AM.]

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 27 Jun 2006 11:58 am    

I told the boys down in Texas I was getting musicians and singers together that were dangerous! The only way this can be judged is by the GRAND MASTER of this type of music RAY PRICE. Where is Ray Price when we really need him? Someone go to Mt. Pleasent, Texas and tell Ray Price we need him to judge some music.
John Parker

Golden Valley, Az. USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2006 12:30 am    

Keith,

Does this CD have the song "Staring at the Moon" on it? I've heard that song and it is FANTASTIC!!!! If all the other songs are like that then that is one CD I've got to get. How do I get one??

------------------
John Parker
Zumsteel SD10 3x5
Peavey Session 400
Fender Steel King

Per Kammersgaard

Sonderborg, Denmark
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2006 4:05 am    

Keith, Sure like those two naked babes on the cover. More albums should have coverart like this. This is one heck of an album. All songs are as good as "Staring At The Moon" - well, some might IMO be a little better. MY favorite today is "Please Ring Telephone" - tomorrow it might be one of the other tracks.
Did I say, that you guys play better than the Texans. As good....is what I meant. And if you check, half of your crowd might have Texas roots.
PK
Mark Metdker

North Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2006 5:00 am    

Well, I'll be the first Texan to respond to this. I haven't heard the CD, but playing Texas music better than Texans is a bold statement indeed! I guess I'll have to get the CD and judge for myself. Keith, if it is in fact that good, we may have to make you an honorary Texan.....secret handshake and all.

------------------
Zum U-12 w/True Tone pickup thru a Nashville 112
Strats thru a VHT Super 30
http://community.webshots.com/album/176544894AuXSmi
jonchristopherdavis.com

www.lonestarattitude.net

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 28 Jun 2006 6:58 pm    

I would love to be a honorary Texan. Down in Texas, Texans are not afraid to turn up the pedal steel guitar. Yes, "Stairing At the Moon" is the first song on the CD. For those of you interested in buying the CD, check out sound samples of all the songs on the CD, on my web site: www.hiltonelectronics.com
My web site has ordering information and my address. We need more Texas Dance Hall music, where the steel guitar comes on strong.