| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buck Owens RIP
GaryHoetker

Bakersfield, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2006 8:50 am    

My wife just called me to tell me our daughter just heard the report on the radio of Buck's passing. My daughter works at the Crystal Palace and said Buck was very ill last night but still wanted to perform before the packed house. What a way to go!!
Buck and Don "together again" forever !!
Luv u Buck.
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2006 9:02 am    

This is bad!

OBIT

No Cheers,

Drew

------------------

Drew Howard - website - Fessenden guitars, 70's Fender Twin, etc.

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2006 9:09 am    

Sad news! We lost one of the legends of the music business, but his music and style will live forever. Thanks, Buck!

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2006 9:11 am    

One of the greats. I always said to my wife we should take the 2 hr ride to see Buck in Bakersfield. Now it's too late. I be kicking myself for awhile.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2006 9:38 am    

RIP. Here's a link to the story:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060325/ap_en_tv/obit_owens
Larry Strawn

Golden Valley, Arizona, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2006 9:56 am    

Got to see Buck a month or so back,,He was having a hard time that night, but still put on a good show!
He'll be missed, but his music will stand the test of "Time"!!

I wonder how much of todays music will??

Larry
Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2006 10:01 am    

I had the honor and pleasure to work some shows with Buck back in 1960 when I was living in Tucson, I want to extend my heartfelt sympathy to Bucks family! Al Udeen
Burr Oxley

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2006 2:05 pm    

Any Country band which has a steel guitar and DOESN'T play "Together Again" tonight in honor of Buck Owens needs their collective butt kicked.

R.I.P. Buck!
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2006 2:34 pm    

Larry, You have asked a great question. The answer is not very much of todays music will stand the test of time IMHO. Buck Owens music was one of a kind and will always have an impact on country music. His singing never really appealed to me that much, but with Don Rich with him they made a great pair. He knew how to surround himself with talented musicians for sure. Let us not forget Tom Brumley on steel guitar. Then we saw all the "Hee Haw" shows and some were corny but great entertainment which lasted for years. Man, I would love to sit down and watch those old Buck Owens shows from years ago. Maybe RFD will pick them up.
Luke Morell

Ramsey Illinois, USA Hometown of Tex Williams
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2006 3:22 pm    

What's going to happen when all the ( real)country singers are gone, and we're stuck with???? Kinda frightening to think of it.Gonna miss Buck,one of my favorites.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2006 4:07 pm    

Oh, man - say it ain't so.

RIP, Buck.
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2006 7:45 pm    

20 No. 1 records...
you can't shake a stick at that!

Good taste, not scewed by parochalism :

He was the answer to this music trivia question:
What country star had a hit record that was later done by the Beatles?
"Those guys were phenomenal," Owens once said.

Good attitude :
Hee Haw ;"It's an honest show," Owens told The Associated Press in 1995.
"There's no social message - no crusade. It's fun and simple."

"I never wanted to hang around like the punch-drunk fighter,"

Good taste in women too :
His ex Bonnie ALSO married Merle!

It's 'American Music' : no more no less.

RIP Buck, you were cool and did it your way,
as much as Frank S. did.

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 25 March 2006 at 07:46 PM.]

Dayna Wills

Sacramento, CA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2006 10:35 pm    

Some years ago I went to a benefit in Bakersfield for Billy Mize. Buck had recently had throat surgery. He brought his whole band and played a set in honor of Billy. Pretty cool. Bonnie was there too.
DW

------------------
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2006 11:39 pm    

I'm sure glad I bought Buck's videos at the Crystal Palace, 4 years ago. Also owning the Hee Haw collection on DVD will keep Buck's memory alive in our home.
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2006 11:46 pm    

Man, it's been a rough day. Having coffee with the wife this morning, the cable news announced his death, and I just dropped. I immediately called the boys in the band, who were driving back to Austin after playing Dallas last night. They too, were crushed.
If you don't know much about the Derailers, our sound is totally influenced by Buck and the Beatles. I've had the honor to hang out with Buck, jam with Buck, play at his club in Bakersfield. He's recorded on our records.
Buck was one of the hugest stars of any genre. In the 60's, Capitol Records were anchored by The Beatles, Buck and The Beach Boys. Buck is one of the few artists who walked out of a huge record deal with ALL of his masters. His estate is worth a fortune. The Crystal Palace, his club/restaurant is like a museum, or shrine of his career. Like his first guitar, Nudie suits that weiged 50 lbs from all of the sequins, a Harley that Dwight Yokum gave him, etc. I hope it stays in tact.
So tonight, I drive to Austin to play a gig, and we do 2 hours of Buck Owens exclusively. When we were done, we were discussing all of the songs we missed. That's a lot of Buck songs that I forgot we knew.

I feel better now.
God bless Buck
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2006 6:00 am    

Being a longtime Buck fan it is a loss to me. I always wanted to be a Buckaroo. To me that was a cool job to have. Wear a Nudie suit and play a flashy Telecaster. I came close the year Jerry Brightman played our show and we did about an hour of Buck tunes. Buck was hot in the days that two bars of a song and you could identify the artist. I'll bet Don Rich and Buck are glad to be back, "Together Again".
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2006 11:04 am    

Chris, same reaction from our band. We waited until the last set last night and played a good hour and 30 minutes of "The King's" songs. We finished with "Together Again" and explained why we did the last set in that fashion. I was surprised the number of people that Did Not know of Buck's passing. In any case, it was a terrific ending to an otherwise mediocre performance by our band. Somehow we all caught fire just playing songs like Sam's Place and others.

Rest easy Buck, you've earned it.
Phred

------------------
"From Truth, Justice is Born"--Quanah Parker-1904

Mark Lind-Hanson

Menlo Park, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2006 9:14 am    

I always enjoyed Buck Owens & since my Mother came from Bakersfield it was a standard thing for us to watch Hee Haw every weekend- what I always liked about him was his willingness to turn his back on Nashville after they all got down on him for being innovative by using DRUMS in his music. This made for a ouder & somewhat ruder style than they could appreciate at the time, and separated the two coasts in terms of aesthetics. Music out of Bakersfield was always a little more real than that coming from Nashville & due in no small part to Owens -and Haggard. Rich and Brumley were obviously two hugely influential instrumentalists also. He might have come across as a little bit cornball but in later years he palyed that down - he would prefer to be remembered as a musician and not a comedian. And his songs ARE really memorable, with great little hooks, and often great little lead lines, that stick in the head long after the record is over. A definite force not to be ignored in the history of Americna music.
J W Hock

Anderson, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2006 9:29 am    

I think it's too bad that a lot of country fans remember only his Hee Haw period . Until around 1969 he was a serious Honky-Tonker. Frankly , I was always a little embarassed by his hayseed buffoon routine on Hee Haw . And of course it was those clips that the networks showed on Saturday in their news reports.
Whip Lashaway

Monterey, Tenn, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2006 9:34 pm    

The 25th of Mar is a very bad day for me. Four years ago my Dad passed away on this very same day. Now Buck Owens. Anyone who knows me at all knows 2 things for sure; My favorite male vocalist of ALL TIMES is Buck Owens and my favorite female vocalist of ALL TIMES is Connie Smith. When all of my classmates were jamming to the Beatles and etc.... I was jamming to Buck. His music is the reason I ever wanted to become a steel player. In fact, the year my Dad passed on, 2002, I woke up in the middle of the night on what would have been his 69th birthday, 9 Oct, and had the words to a song. New words to Above and Beyond. Gospel words. Above and Beyond is my ALL TIME favorite song. Rest in Peace Buck. I'll see ya someday Above and Beyond

------------------
Whip Lashaway
Sierra E9/B6 12 string
Sierra E9/B6 14 string
78' Emmons D10 P/P