| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dale Watson
Brett Anderson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 8:59 pm    

Just read on Dale's website that he is taking a break for awhile. Maybe for good. I am deeply saddened by this news. For any of you not familiar with Dale, he is a true country artist. I recommend any of hid cds but especially the "live in London" cd. Hope he decides to come back soon.
Sherman Willden

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 9:42 pm    

Wasn't today Dale's birthday. If so, have a happy one, Dale.

Sherman
Steve Pacholl

Minneapolis
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2005 4:54 am    

Dale's new CD is a must have - titled Heeha. Many older tunes that he has done during his live shows and now finally recorded them. Some great new sounds and some excellent swing. Includes the live show favorite Trucking Queen (Transvestite Trucker).

Dale was on the Opry last night (8/7), but I haven't listened to the download yet. No longer have to subsribe to WSM to get their archive. Great news.

Dale's last couple of Opry performances have featured material from the new CD.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2005 8:21 am    

Dale Watson is no doubt the BEST honkey tonk singer living today.It would be a shame if he hung it up for good[I dont believe he will,he is just to good].I would'nt blame him if he did the way the music industry treats him.The so called top 20 artist of today ,none even get close to this man.Maybe if he dyed his hair,wore a tank top shirt,ripped jeans,and started rapping,he would be a hit on G.A.C.[Great American Crap].
Chuck Hall

Warner Robins, Ga, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2005 10:34 am    

Ricky

Tell me it ain't so.....

------------------
EMCI D10 8/4 and Nashville 400

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2005 12:06 pm    

Chuck; I dropped out of the Dale Watson band 2 1/2 years ago, but Dale is still my good friend and we chat every now and then.
Yes it's true; Dale is moving to Baltimore at the end of the year, as that's where his kids live and he'll drive a Truck for a living. He also will return to Austin from time to time as he is working on a Movie being filmed here in Austin.
But dropping out of the Country music nightmare is a no-brainer; I don't blame him one bit. When you smack a dog in the nose enough times; he just won't do it anymore and looses enthusiasm to ever want to do it again. That is what the (so called) country music industry has done to Dale Watson.
You try and try; and all you have are countless endless days on the road all over the world, every year; to a smallish but die-hard crowds; just does not get your music out there to the masses. You have to be heard on top radio stations and so you have to record with a major lable(which we did at one time) and Dale has had a major lable recording contract and we recorded at Capitol Records and made a killer CD and Warner Bros. said we can't find a distrubutor to buy the CD because it's too country sounding....>so there ya have it in a nut-shell.
Both Dale and I agree; the country music industry can just Kiss are red-asses; as we walk out the door they've been trying to throw us out of for years....>we give freakin' UP!!!!!!Bye.
Ricky
Brett Anderson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2005 4:12 pm    

How sad. Thanks for the insight Ricky. The exact reason I hate modern country music (a few exceptions)and you all should too. Dale watson's concert here (Phoenix) last year was the best show I've ever seen. What a down to earth guy. Shared a few drinks with the crowd, did requests. A guy from England showed up and requested " From a Jack to a KIng". I'm not sure Dale had done the song ever but played it anyway and was happy to do so. Made one happy Brit that night. Compare that to some of todays country torch carriers who can't tune a guitar let alone play one. It is sickening to me. I'm all for making money but for Christ's sake put all the music out there and let the people decide what they buy. Anybody not sure who Dale Watson is go to dalewatson.com and buy any of his cd's you won't be sorry.
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 8 Oct 2005 4:29 pm    

It would be great if Dale would think about doing some performances here in our neck of the woods. We have some fantastic, IMO, musicians here and I'll bet they would love to back him up.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2005 10:17 pm    

Too country for country my -ss.Those brain dead nitwits that control the music business told Johnny Cash the same thing late in his career.In all the posts I make on this forum,I try to keep it lighthearted and fun. But when it comes to the absolute disgusting crap that the music industry calls country,it makes me angry.It is ludicrous that the greatest country singer living today has to resort to driving a truck,when acts such as Chesney,McGraw,Big and Rich,and Cowboy Troy are making millions.Except for a few rare exceptions,this new crowd are like clones,none of them have a style of their own.There is NO originality what so ever.The giants that paved the way for these clowns all had their own styles,such as Haggard,Buck,Tubbs,Snow,Arnold,Waylon,Pride,and the list could go on and on.Even if you did'nt like some of them,at least you knew who they were when that first word came out of their mouth.No more.Several months ago someone said they did'nt know who Dale Watson was nor did they care to,so just keep listening to this rehashed 70's rock and roll they call country today.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2005 2:00 am    

My 33 year old Daughter has the reason Traditional Country is not selling, to the masses that really buy music and attend concerts. "It doesn't have the beat". She was brought up in a home where nothing but traditonal country music was heard but like 99% of the younger generation what they really listened to was rock and now rap and it's really not for the lyrics - it's the beat.

Those of us that are traditional country fans and/or musicians have a hard time with that. Forutunately, what picking I do is still traditional country and I'm also fortunate to be able to work with the traditional country singers from Nashville when they appear here in Florida (I have a show next month with Tommy Cash).

However, once it's in your blood you can't quit. I suspect Dale will be back into it again in a short while. Sort of like many musicians in Nashville - they would come into the store (Little Roy Wiggins music store) and "I'm getting off the road and have taken a sit down job". A month later or a couple of months later "I'm going back on the road with so and so".
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2005 8:28 am    

Don't forget that if "The giants that paved the way for these clowns who all had their own styles,such as Haggard,Buck,Tubbs,Snow,Arnold,Waylon,Pride,etc" were younger or just starting out and bucking the trends that Dale is bucking these days,they'd be driving trucks also. And in 30 years,Chesney,McGraw,Big and Rich,and Cowboy Troy will be wondering what happened to the good old music they used to play way back in 2005.
But there will always be a niche in the world for my friend Dale Watson to play music because he just has too much to offer and we haven't heard the last of him - trust me.
But the fact remains - a person has to re-position himself on the food chain periodically or join the dodo bird. Or as I heard someone say the other day: "It's best to recycle yourself before your environment does it for you".
-MJ-
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2005 8:38 am    

Jack your right about stopping and starting over. I've had a lot of friends over the years that would get burned out,sell all their gear,then a month later be hitting the pawn shops hunting something to work with.If you really have the music sickness,there is no cure! I can't imagine not haveing music in my life.Even when I was a small child ,four or five years old,I would hear music on my mothers radio and get chill bumps.I have NEVER drank nor taken drugs,but I get high as a kite when I'm on the bandstand with my friends makeing music.I thing the same about Dale Watson,He is too good not to come back.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2005 10:35 am    

"Are the good times really over for good?". I think not - what goes around, comes around - but it's going to take something major to shake things up in the music biz. One thing for sure - the "big mixmaster" will keep things churning.

Ironically, moving away from full-time music, which sometimes has to be much more about business than music, can be just what it takes to force a sufficiently serious reexamination of approch to break through. I hope that happens with Dale. Nobody deserves this more, IMO.

One other thing - Dale sings lots of truck-driving tunes. I'm sure he'd be the first to tell us all there's no shame in drivin' a truck for a living. Sometimes there's no telling where life's paths will take us.
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2005 11:04 am    

Country music executives have turned into a mother that eats it's own young. Amazing what people will do for money.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2005 12:00 pm    

Michael,When I talk about originality[except for a few rare exceptions]there is none today.I had the privilege to play two Hank Sr.birthday shows in Mont.Ala.and Columbus Ga.to packed houses,every one from eight to eighty.Does any one think ANY of this new crowd will receive this accolade fifty plus years after they are gone? Dont think so.You can go to any record outlet[even tho all you will hear over the stores p.a. system is the rap crap]there will be a good supply of Hank Sr.and the great artist,if they were'nt selling I guarantee you they would'nt be there. I really dont think fifty years from now they will have a special section for Big and Rich or Cowboy Troy,in the record shops. James you are absolutely right,it's to hell with the music,just count the money.
Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2005 2:53 pm    

I certainly understand Dale's decision, and I wish him well on it. A life on the road requires putting family on the back burner. How long can a father be expected to do that?

Being a good Daddy is the single most significant thing I've done in life. Children need their Daddy. What does it profit a man to gain the world and lose his soul?

In an ideal world, Dale would've "made it" by now, and he'd be able to do what he needs to do out of his wealth. Unfortunately, the current country music power block has little appreciation for genuine country music and true genius. "Hank wouldn't have a chance on today's radio..."

I'm a Dale Watson fan.
Glyn Bone

Halifax.Nova Scotia. Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2005 4:19 pm    

Hi guys,
I guess I must be a bit dim ( compared to the fert-heads in/on music row)...but would somebody please explain to me

Just what is TOO COUNTRY FOR COUNTRY ?????

is there a too classical for Mozart?
a too rock`n`roll for Jimmy Hendix?
a too operatic for Dame Nellie Melba ??

I think it`s way past high time that somebody told them ther` "fert-brained suits which way the world turns,
I saw a video the other night of I think it was Montgomery Gentry or some such twit..it was mopre like a Guy Fawks night sparkler show.....doesn`t talent mean anything anymore????

My opinion...The `music` stinks and is crap
The Music Row suits are fert-brained nincompoops who have nowt beteen their ears and should be instantly given the boot and replaced.

Thank you...
I`ll get off my soap-box now and let someone else have a go.

Glyndwr

Carter SD10 4x5 (Black of course)
Peavey NV 112 ( also black )
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2005 5:12 pm    

Props to Dale for having his priorities figured out. I wish him all the best in getting on with his life. The music biz is a heartbreaker, period.

Drew

------------------

Drew Howard - website - Fessenden D-10 8/8, Fessenden SD-12 5/5 (Ext E9), Magnatone S-8, N400's, BOSS RV-3

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2005 5:52 pm    

Glyn,DONT get off that soap box,We need all the help we can get.I have been ranting and raving about this absolute crap the music industry is trying to pass off as country for months.Sometimes I get some flack for doing this but that's O.K.[I never try to put someone down that disagrees with me,they have an absolute right to their opinion].But when someone that is REAL ,like Dale Watson,Jr.Brown,Robbie Fulks ,or Wayne Hancock is treated like lepers by the music C.E.O's ,someone has to speak up.It may not do any good,but it feels good to tell it like it is. And that line [Too country for country] just shows with out a shadow of a doubt the music industry is run by complete imbeciles.
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2005 6:36 pm    

And lest we forget..
Quote:
"The Music Business is a cruel and shallow money trench. A long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -Hunter S Thompson-

EJL

PS. The Trucking Business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs too..-Unknown Truckdriver-

[This message was edited by Eric West on 10 October 2005 at 07:17 PM.]

Brett Anderson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2005 10:22 pm    

Charles, I hear you. The other day while shaving, I heard a noise coming from my television that could best be described as nauseating. I went into the bedroom thinking my son had changed the channel to MTV. I watched for a second as I walked up to the set to change it and saw it was Cowboy Troy. I just have nothing to say but if that's appealing to somebody they need what's left of their brain examined. There's really no excuse for that nonsense. I get the whole freedom of music thing and boundaries but that is just HORRENDOUS! And it's not country and rap ain't music.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 9:00 am    

Brett, If your channel surfing,you can't tell if your watching M.T.V.,G.A.C.,B.E.T.,C.M.T.V.,or V.H.1. It's absolutely sicking.
Mark Metdker

North Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 9:10 am    

this is terrible news. i'm a big fan. I'll bet he'll be back someday.

------------------
Zum U-12 w/True Tone pickup thru a Nashville 112

Strats thru a VHT Super 30

Band Pics
http://community.webshots.com/album/176544894AuXSmi

J W Hock

Anderson, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 10:25 am    

I just read Dale's letter on his site . Relax folks , he simply says he wants to take a break from touring for awhile. I was always amazed at how much of a workhorse he was, averaging five nights 52weeks a year. The guy is long overdue a rest.
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 12:10 pm    

"To country for country" seems to be the most common form of this cheap excuse. I think a fair assessment of it's meaning is: "No-crossover-appeal".

"Difficult to catagorize" is another lame excuse used by industry moguls which translates to roughly the same thing.

I'm sorry to find Dale's leaving Austin and music behind, but I wish him much happiness in his future.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn