| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  G" string sounds too thin...
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2000 8:40 pm    

Yes, the high "G" is thin sounding and I think that this is the reason you don't see too many "Hawaiians" going any further up than an "E" on top.
Western Swing playing almost requires the 5th note on top and a good way to get that interval is to retune to A6 and that "E" on top now becomes your 5th. Don't need to change string gauges to do that, just re-tune. C's up to C# and your middle G down to F# (that's assuming you don't have that high "G" on to anymore). Then you're just a second away to hop to B11th (or A6th/B9th as I call it) by lowering your middle E to Eb.
My thinking behind this is, that the A6th tuning with the "E" on top is really essentially called for because of the typical I-to-I9-Western Swing lick. How ever that I9th position, two frets below position has one key note out "of tune" (a IV note), when lowered the chord is now complete and that's where the B11th tuning comes in (IMHO).

------------------
The future belongs to culture. jaydee@bellsouth.net
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2000 10:27 pm    

Jeff...you stated A13. uh uh. What you have shown is a normal A6 tuning with an added 7th.
Gerald Cook

Lexington, OK USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2000 6:56 am    

Jeff,
I'm sure you are already aware of this but there is a high & low version of C6. This has to do with the string gauge. I use the low version for a more mellow sound. My tuning is GECAGECA with the following gauges:
.014; .017; .020p; .024w; .030; .036; .042; .054. Every since I switched to the low version, that stopped my string breakage.
Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2000 9:46 am    

I agree with Gerald. Try a heavier gauge string for the high G. I use a .012; it works for me.
Chuck
Gerald Cook

Lexington, OK USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2000 7:02 am    

Jeff,
Sorry I haven't replied before now. I've been away from home. To answer your question, yes I use the .14 gauge string on the high G. I wouldn't go any heavier than this. My scale length from bridge to bridge is 24.25 in. It seems to eliminate that "tinny" sound. Good Luck!
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2000 6:51 am    

Jeff,

I've tried several gauges in attempts to get a high G to sound good on my short scale (22.5")Fender DeLuxe 8's and Stringmaster. I think I went as high as .016 and it still sounded tinny or thin.

I subscribe to the Jerry Byrd school of thought of all non-pedal tunings having an E on top. Maybe it's different for longer scale guitars, I really don't have the experience to say.