| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Music Theory
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2005 12:16 am    

Why do they call it "music theory". Is the way music works not a fact? Should there be warning stickers about this on CDs?

Isn't our language odd? We "practice" to become better musicians, to play music with fewer mistakes. A doctor practices medicine.

It's late. Go to bed, b0b. (yawn)
Ben Slaughter

Madera, California
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2005 12:51 am    

Yes it is late... Hey b0b I'll wave at you as I drive through C-dale two times tomorrow, on my way to Boonville and back!! Hey that sounds like a good song "Boonville and Back"
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2005 5:12 am    

Theorically it will work right if you use the rules.

But many have found if you break the rules it will work too.

So it becomes just theorical in the end.
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2005 6:21 am    

Theoretically speaking, that is.
Don Walters

Saskatchewan Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2005 6:46 am    

As Uncle Jed used to say, "I don't want no lawyer who's still practisin', I want one who knows what he's doin'"

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2005 8:22 am    

Well here's a fine can of worms you have opened, b0b. There are several meanings for the term "theory." From my unabridged Webster's:
quote:
1. originally, a mental viewing; contemplation.
2. an idea or mental plan of the way to do something.
3. a systematic statement of principles involved...
4. a formulation of apparent relationships or underlying principles of certain observed phenomena which has been verified to some degree: distinguished from hypothesis.
5. that branch of an art or science consisting in a knowledge of its principles and methods rather than in its practice; pure, as opposed to applied...
6. popularly, a mere hypothesis, conjecture, or guess; as, my theory is that he never got the letter.

The term "music theory" takes something from all of these definitions, except the last one. I think rather than being rules to break or not, it is more a drawing out on paper (or mental images) of all the scales and chords, their terminology, and how they relate to each other.

The biggest confusion is between the popular idea of an unproven "hypothesis", and the scientific idea of a proven (at least to some extent) "theory." The public tends to think anything not proven beyond a shadow of doubt is "merely a theory." In science, a conjecture with little or no proof is a "hypothesis." Whereas, an idea supported by substantial evidence, with little or no contradictory evidence, is elevated to the category of "theory," such as the theory of the sun-centered solar system, the theory of relativity, or the theory of evolution. Beyond a theory, there is no higher category of "facts," because scientists recoginize the falibility of human knowledge and are skeptics who believe all theories and facts are open to revision. Thus, a theory is the highest level of belief in science.

[This message was edited by David Doggett on 19 January 2005 at 08:26 AM.]

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2005 8:54 am    

I think the reasoning behind the term theory is that our music system is based on the 12 tone scale. That is a fact. The way it is used then is based on that 12 tone scale. If it would be a different basis, say a 14 tone scale, that would be the basis and the theory would be an extension of the different scale, or different set of rules......

[This message was edited by Ron Sodos on 19 January 2005 at 08:55 AM.]

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2005 9:04 am    

Quote:
Is the way music works not a fact?

Yes, but which fact? Probably the theoretical one...

Lawyers practise law & doctors practise medicice both so they can get good at their professions? I feel sick.

[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 19 January 2005 at 11:52 AM.]

Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2005 11:51 am    

I want in!! After studying and trying to learn all the stuff you are supposed to know like which notes over which changes, etc. I finally found someone who I think knows what they were talking about. First he said only trumpet player have to know all the sharps and flats in which keys. He said, think about this. "HOW MANY GUITAR PLAYERS DO YOU KNOW THAT EVEN HAVE A BRAIN?" If they had to think to play there wouldn't be any guitar pickers. He showed me two sheets of paper that had scales and a few chords on them and explained how to use them.

He said do this stuff as in scales and do a note and skip a note etc until you can lay your finger anyplace on the fret board and play a major, minor, pentatonoc, blues etc. You don't have to know the notes just do it until you don't think about it. Pretty soon if you can hear a song in your head you can play it all over the neck. Makes sense. I also quit playing tab on the steel after that, too.

No I aint a picker but I feel good about what I do know.

[This message was edited by Billy Henderson on 19 January 2005 at 11:53 AM.]

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2005 1:53 pm    

Janice, feel free to close this at any time.