| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I'm Getting Nervous
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2000 7:20 pm    

I bought a Rick panda--the post-war model that Mike Black was selling a couple of weeks ago. I'm really looking forward to receiving it. But as I am tracking its UPS progress, it turns out it was involved in the train wreck last week. UPS tells me that it will take some time to know what's what--they can't tell me anything at all about where/what/when/in what condition until they get things sorted out.

Don't you hate when that happens?
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2000 7:57 pm    

Ouch!
Dave Brophy

Miami FL
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2000 11:18 pm    

Gives new meaning to the term "train wreck" in a musical context,doesn't it?
Hope it arrives ok.
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2000 4:15 am    

Hey Jon, what a frustrating bummer. Although UPS can be a pain in the neck at times, this is an unfortunate circumstance that you really can't blame them for.I hope that it gets sorted out to your favor. I always use their air service.Three day select is not terrible in the cost department.Post Office Priority mail is also better than UPS ground service in my experience.Regardless,I'm always on pins and needles until it arrives in one piece.

------------------

[This message was edited by HowardR on 07 November 2000 at 04:15 AM.]

Robert

Chicago
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2000 5:47 am    

Geez - what would happen to your guitar if the PLANE crashed?! They'd have to tag it and bag it!
Mark Davis

Bakersfield, Ca
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2000 11:01 am    

Luckly on a lap steel unlike a regular guitar its really hard to damage it by rough handling. If the case itself isnt damaged it will probably be ok the worst part is all the red tape they have to go thru to get it back to you.

I wasnt aware UPS put stuff on the train? Was a UPS delivery truck in the train wreak or was your package on the train itself?

I feel bad for ya Jon old buddy.

I think that just cured me from shipping anything UPS again Fed Ex or Postoffice for me after hearing this and other horror stories about UPS.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2000 11:17 am    

Greyhound once broke the pickup magnet on a Rick of mine. They aren't undestructible.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2000 1:12 pm    

Most assuredly I blame no one for this and, if this is the train wreck I heard about in the news then I think there was loss of life so my small troubles here become trivial.....
ok, with that disclaimer out of the way---
this is a bummer. The tracking status remains frozen from Nov. 4 with an arrival scan in Illinois. This may be just a whole cargo bin that got scanned in. Nobody on the phone can tell me anything except to acknowledge that things are screwed up and will take time to get sorted out. I'm picturing them trying to peel apart melted items. This may get real interesting. What if the labels are all messed up?

I was surprised about UPS using the railroad too. I guess my best mental image was of Greg, my local route guy, driving out to California, picking up my Rick, and driving it back to my house in his brown UPS truck. But maybe they have a more efficient way.
I can't for the life of me explain why I didn't spring the few extra $$ and fly that baby over. Well that's a lie. Easy explanation. I'm cheap as the day is long. Live and learn.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2000 2:17 pm    

Sad state of affairs. Did you happen to think of insuring the shipment ? I realize money is a poor substitute for a neat Rick, but it does have a habit of curing the pain somewhat.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2000 3:00 pm    

Thanks for the co-misery, George. Yes, it was insured so I'm not flipping out about the $$. Although I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some lawyer put in a clause about not paying on train wrecks.
Or not paying on 1 1/4" horseshoes. Only 1 1/2".
Now wouldn't that be fun, debating pre/post war Ricks with an insurance adjuster. I'm putting JD Sauser on retainer to accopmpany me to the UPS offices.
And Mike Tyson, too, in case gentle persuasion doesn't work.
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2000 7:23 pm    

Don't worry Jon, I can handle the non-gentle part too .

Anyways, I've got good news for ya. Bakelite don't melt ! It just breaks

I have never heard of broken magnet plates until today (it had to be b0b!). But then, here's good news again! Should they break yours, I can supply you with replacement plates...
Humm, let's see, let's make a deal here (ever tried the options market?). I'd replace those plate for free to you (should they have broken them)... If they broke the guitar however, you send me it's remainings, for free... OK? I mean Jon, ARE YOU AN ORGAN DONOR? Are you? No, no, now don't you try to be smart! No thanks, I don't want your *#&^$ keyboard

------------------
The future belongs to culture. jaydee@bellsouth.net
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2000 3:20 pm    

Well, after phone and email exchanges and online tracking all telling me that this situation has ground to a halt with no answers or relief in sight, imagine my surprise when I came home to find that this has been delivered and signed for by my neighbor (unauthorized but entirely ok--good people).
But he is not home!!!!!!
There's no law against breaking and entering, is there?
There is?!
man, the inmates are running this asylum, the world has gone to heck in a handcart, bitch, grouse and moan

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2000 4:29 pm    

And finally, end of story.
The guitar is absolutely intact. No damage at all. Mike did a really great packing job. But actually even the box is in pristine shape. No good trainwreck stories here--not even a little cow-catcher mark along the side.

Oh yeah--the Rick is fantastic. I've wanted one of these for the longest. It's 'post-war'--not one of the holy grail Ricks but I don't care. Maybe some day I'll play one of the others and get a bug up my butt about it but I'm really not that picky about my Ricky.
Boy, I sure wish there was enough time to learn to play a 6 string lap steel.
But according to my schedule I will have the pedal steel mastered in another 3-4 weeks. Then I can turn my attention to this.
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2000 5:51 pm    

and all's well that end's well.....

------------------
Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2000 7:34 pm    

Jon, really glad it turned up in good shape. And oh, try to develop a sense of humor will you? Great story, good telling.
Tele

Andy W. - Wolfenbuettel, Germany
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2000 10:16 pm    

Jon,

congratulation ! You got a great guitar from an even greater guy

Andy
Mark Krutke

Tomahawk, WI USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2000 12:30 am    

That was quite a story, Jon. I'm glad everything turned out all right.

P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2000 4:48 am    

Phew!
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2000 6:06 am    

But be honest now--weren't you all kinda eager to hear just what grievous mutilation was inflicted on this guitar? I mean who among us hasn't at least once considered how cool it would be to lay their treasured instrument on the tracks just to see what would happen?
A quarter?
OK a penny.
Please don't report me to ASPCR(ICKS)

I'll tell you--if this doesn't measure up to the sound of a pre-war model then I'm afraid to come near one of those guys. I'm not worthy. This baby is hot!

Thanks for well-wishing.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2000 9:42 am    

Now you have my curiosity peeked, Jon. I've been at the non-pedal since 1945 and still haven't mastered the #@&*#@ little critter, yet you say you will have the pedal, (probably 14 strings, 10 pedals 4 knee levers, and 1 chin lever) "mastered" in the next 2 or 3 weeks !!! Wow ! I must be really stupid. I should have mastered my little critter in 3 days at that rate. Just kiddin' of course....(ha!)
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2000 2:13 pm    

That's 12 strings, 7 pedals, 7 knee levers, and I'm working on a double chin so I figure to add two chin levers.
When I bought the Carter two years ago I set aside a couple of weeks in Nov. 2000. I hope to finally open the case this weekend. I figure a pedal and a lever each day, or maybe a string a day. I mean, how hard can it be?

Then I think I will find a website that teaches brain surgery and I will practice on myself.
Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2000 3:25 pm    

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...