| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beautiful Dobro at the PSGA convention
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2000 7:25 am    

Tom Reilly,a local steel player in Norwalk,Ct.,played a great Dobro set on one of the most unusual and beautiful Dobro's I've ever seen. And I have seen a lot of Dobros.
First off, Tom has built his own Dobros (6 of them) for his own pleasure.There is not one round section on this guitar! It is a multi - gonal instrument. The inlay work is beautiful. Bound all around right up the body,neck,and headstock.Made of maple with a mahogony neck. The one Tom played was an 8 stringer with 7 strings,tune to Em7,
(high to low) DBGEDBG. Tom's playing is a Dobro style heavily influenced by pedal steel.He uses well executed slants,rolling triplets,warm and complex (to me anyhow)chord voicings. and fast,clear,and concise single string work. He played country/jazzy music and was very well received. After his set he showed me his other Dobro that he brought along. A 7 string even more beautiful than the first one,which I wouldn't think possible. Aside from this being a real treat for me (a dobro player at a steel convention) Tom is one of the nicest gentlemen that you could ever meet.

------------------