| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jennifer Hicks ..Nashville Star
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2004 7:35 am    

It's almost impossible to comprehend that the Red Hat Goober is still in this thing..and Jennifer gets the boot while this Goober stays..

Jennifer, if you are reading, I would be proud to be on the Bandstand with you..There is no way I would back up the Red Hat Goober..what a joke, I don't care if he does sing on the Opry someday and win the record deal..To me it looked like Tracey Gershon is getting real nervous..she's gonna have to put up a bunch of Sony's $$$ for this Goober if he wins this contest and she already knows this ould be a total loss for Sony.She could make a record with any of the remaining
singers, but not him..and she knows it's possible that he may win..she's in a panic I think..He ain't no Buddy Jewell...

This show better get it together or the already declining credibilty factor will get even lower..and then the Sony $$$ goes away..

I say..take the judging for the last 6 and give it to the judges alone..take it away from a 20 votes per friend/family member contest..

Jennifer, wishing you great success, which will come your way..

T in NC, where the Goober comes from..oh geeze..

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2004 9:28 am    

I couldn't agree more!When that Goober got the nod I started yelling at the TV!!IM sure hes a nice guy,but talent?Jennifer was
head and shoulders above and beyond the rest of the pack and Im sure you all agree!
Im sure she will a great future in this business.Hang in there Jennifer,Im sure you made more than a few fans! Good luck and were all hopeing to see big things from you soon!
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2004 9:33 am    

The "popularity contest" factor of these shows takes away their creditability before they even start.

I was uncomfortable to see people here asking everyone to vote for her, and request it on any Internet list they are a member of.

Music is an Art, not a competition. The pop marketing of music has been it's downfall.

Ms. Hicks is very talented, but so are the other finalists.
All in a different way.
Joey Ace

Post  Posted 18 Apr 2004 9:34 am    

Transfered to MUSIC.
Tom Mortensen

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2004 10:01 am    

Jennifer will do fine on her own.
Except for Brad Cotter, I fail to see any remaining talent.
As far as people asking for votes on this forum, I only saw one that even hinted we should vote for Jennifer. The rest were expressing their support for her.

[This message was edited by Tom Mortensen on 18 April 2004 at 11:08 AM.]

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2004 11:43 am    

I think that most popular forms of music in the past 40 years or so has been very much a competition. We have always had to compete for the gigs we got, the "stars" always had to compete for their place in the music biz. I do believe that music is an artform, but unfortunately the best are not always the ones who make it. Like you say, marketing is what makes a star a star nowadays in place of talent. I'm surprised that Alan Jackson and George Strait (and other no-flash artists) have been on top all these years. They survive totally on talent with no flash.

I admit that I have only seen bits and pieces of the show (I don't think it is that good). Good band though, and the chick who MC's is a beauty. I assume the "goober" you are speaking of is the tall, lankey, no-talent dude that sang last with Terry Clark last night. He pretty much made me vomit. Jennifer was OK, but I think she would have been better without the guitar and a little more stage presence (every time I saw the show with her on she was playing the guitar). I also don't think contests like this should be a "popular vote" type contest. Like was said, the winner is usually the one with the most friends.

Just my opinion. (not even worth 2 cents)
Jennings Ward

Edgewater, Florida, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2004 2:03 pm    

WELL PEOPLE, CAN TRASHVILLE GO ANY LOWER?? I REALLY DONT THINK SO, AFTER LAST NIGHTS TRASHVILLE STINKS, GET THE POINT, I'M SURE. GUESS WHO WILL NOT BE GETTING ANY OF MY MONEY, JENIFER, RUSS, LANEY , I AM ASHAMED TO ADMIT THOSE IDIOTS CALLED THOSE CLOWNS COUNTRY MUSIC ARTIST.....WHAT A DAM SHAME. I'LL ALWAYS THINK THAT YOU WERE GROSLEY WRONGED.. O WELL, AT LEAST YOU WERE THE MOST TALENTED AND BY FAR THE PRETTIEST ON THE SHOW. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, AND I'LL ALWAYS LOVE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. U R THE GOODEST... LOVE ALWAYS, ALL WAYS TO YOU.. JENNINGS
Joey Ace

Post  Posted 18 Apr 2004 4:55 pm    

I believe a lot of the legends of country music would not have made it far in this type of show if they appeared on it as unknowns.
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2004 5:25 am    

Hank Williams interviewed after performing "Your Cheatin' Heart" on Nashville Star:

Judge: Well Hank I'd have to say your song lacked commercial appeal...you should think about re-writing it around a ZZ Top blues riff with more distortion on the guitar. And lose that HOKEY steel guitar!

Hank: I ain't never heard a no dis...disturshun...

Judge: You've got a lot to learn about this business, Hank. I'd also recommend some tatoos, a muscle shirt, perpetual five o'clock shadow and a headband instead of that stetson. And you need to grow your hair out and cover those ears! You got to rock it up boy!

Hank: I thought this here's a country show?

Judge: The name of this show is NASHVILLE Star! Let's not be saying that "c" word so loud now. Haven't you got any rocking sexy songs about girls and cars? We're selling to the 12-14 year old female demographic.

Hank: Well I got a nice little number called "Hey Good Lookin'". Goes a little something like this...

Judge: Next!

[This message was edited by Tim Whitlock on 19 April 2004 at 07:56 AM.]

[This message was edited by Tim Whitlock on 19 April 2004 at 08:01 AM.]

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2004 1:37 pm    

Jennifer did a fantastic job during the entire series. I keep getting reminded by "the public" that it doesn't matter if you juggle, rap, or make a movie called "Jackass" --- some people will be "entertained" by it. (If you can't tell - this would be my opinion of Matt Lindall (sp?)) All we need is another "country artist" that makes fun of country music, and smashes his "instrument" like Garth Brooks.

Since most of us are musicians, we tend to look for real, serious talent - which I think that George Canyon, Brad Cotter, and our Jennifer Hicks are. I guess people that think like I do are in the minority.

Jennifer Hicks' 2nd Steel Player,

David Spires

[This message was edited by David Spires on 19 April 2004 at 02:38 PM.]

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2004 2:40 am    

Best wishes to Jennifer also.

Matt will be gone Saturday. The difference between he and Garth is Garth can sing and write.

It's between Brad Cotter and Lance Miller.
Bottom line, who can sell records?
I think Lance had a record deal at on time.

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2004 4:19 am    

Buddy Jewell last years Nashville star!

Others such as,Josh Turner, Billy Currington, Joe Nickels, Jimmy Wayne, Dereks Bently and many more!

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2004 9:22 am    

Well I watched last night's NS for the first time, and was appalled when they let Jennifer go. I've never seen a more glad-handing bull fest than that show in my life. Where do they get these yay-hoos? I'd rather watch American Idol....(which ain't gonna happen anytime soon)

ugh.

There was a fair amount of good country steel playing though. Who's the player?
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2004 9:41 am    

I just saw this show for the first time(didn't know where, or when, it came on), everybody was doing duets with Terri Clark, Trace Adkins, whoever. I missed Jennifer completely, and I hate that I did. But why do these guys all look alike?? Their hats are even shaped the same! And speaking of hats, Tony, Tony----"the Red Hat Goober?"
Country music NEEDS a new novelty act, especially a comedian with a weird hat...
Gotta go, rasslin's coming on!!!
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2004 1:37 pm    

well Stephen, the next time I see you make sure you have your Goober Red Hat on !

Yes..Last years contest winner Buddy Jewell..
is a perfect example of someone with lots of talent..who was clearly overlooked for whatever the reason by producers/lables etc for years..

But I think a few of those types may just be scratchin' there heads about now...as he has proven that he was a diamond in the ruff..not young, not a Mr GQ..just a plain ole' dude who can sing and write..back to the basics..

Contests can work..but not as a local popularity contest where everyone in your town can vote 40 times each over a limited 3 hour window. Thats not how Stars are born..but we already know that..and so does Tracey Gershon..
erik

Post  Posted 20 Apr 2004 3:33 pm    

I've never seen the show, wush[sic] I could. [never mind, j/k]

[This message was edited by erik on 20 April 2004 at 04:38 PM.]

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2004 3:39 pm    

removed

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 20 April 2004 at 04:42 PM.]

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2004 5:54 pm    

Hey Stephan,
You know Granny can't sleep with that loud stuff on the TV - besides that, it's VIOLENT!

Speaking of violence - MATT!! Great idea to go for an ACT. But it won't sell. I honestly think many people are rebelliously cramming the phone lines for this guy to make a point.

No one "voted" Jennifer off. She was given a grand opportunity to audition for the world -and she did it like a true lady! She's probably already so busy that she wouldn't have even had time to finish up the show. Everyone knows who the talents are.

Let's just think about this for a second . . . If enough people play the "vote for Matt" game, he really could win. Does that make him a winner, though? It makes nobody a winner. It would prove only one thing - that this crazy process can throw the entire reality-format shows off the air.
As for my favorite - I do like Lance and Brad. But if I were to vote for someone other than Matt - it's have to be Brad.
Terri didn't give him much room to shine with her, did she?
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2004 1:28 am    

Speaking of "Red Hat Goobers," y'all KNOW that John Floyd is joining the Shrine Saturday, right????
Sell a lot of them p-nuts, John---all for a good cause!!
And now, back to our show. I think it was a FLUKE that Buddy Jewell won this thing last time--I mean, how DARE he win a Nashville talent contest, when he's actually got TALENT??? And how many of these "call-in" folks would go buy a record by some of these people? Would YOU want somebody respectable to come into your home, and find you listening to "the Red Hat Goober?" Think about it!
And, BTW, there was a guy several years ago, Marty somebody, who wore a goofy-looking hat, but sounded like Hank Williams--anybody know who I'm talking about???
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2004 3:38 am    

Retcopp..very fine point indeed..the coming and going..

If one has the ability and gift to write thier own tunes which are very commercial and sellable..they have a much better opportunity to hang on for your ten years..

otherwise those that are only writing and selling tunes are going to have I think pretty much most of thier tunes placed on hold by a select few artists so that they
will always have a good tune in the bank so to speak..the rest of the pack will have to settle for sheer luck...or return to their careers at Tootsies !

I find it fascinating that during some of the inteviews , this show and the last , some of those that have been booted early on actually think that they may be one of the top 12 County singers in the USA ! I recall hearing one fella' state , "Hey I was #8 out of 8000"..

8 out of 8000..what does that mean..??

I'll tell ya what it means to me..7992 of my tone dead neighbors went to an audition somewhere and tried to sing a Martina , Faith, Garth or Hank Jr. song..and killed all the cats within 10 miles...

Now my wife sings a pretty good tune, on pitch and in tune..I told her to go to Raleigh the next time( next N Star series) just for fun, we could make a weekend of it hang out and see some friends too..( drink some Beer) she said . what if I win the Raleigh event..we don't know enough people, let alone have enough family and friends to make it past the first cut ! I told her she was right and I wasn't sure she could count on my 40 votes !

How come there are no duets in the competition ? Why does eveyone always have to stand and hold a guitar ,Even though they only know 1 chord ? When was the last time Faith held a guitar in front of her custom designed wardrobe ?

I especially did not like that for 1 week they made everyone sing a Southern Rock tune..then the judges commented that some of them should not sing Southern Rock !!??
Ok..??

SO someone gets booted because they are singing something way out of thier "Arena" which they would never have chosen to sing ..ever..all because Lenard Skinnard was there..whats that got to do with the contest ?

oh geeze..

Where is the phone number for "none of the above"..where's Richard Pryor when ya need him !

t
John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2004 5:24 am    

Time for another reality Check!

Quote:
There is no way I would back up the Red Hat Goober

Tony
You would if you next meal depended on it, life is a little different for working and non-working musicians in Nashville than it is in Charlotte NC. The numbers of guys on the streets are staggering. They do what they have to do, no matter how unplesant it may be.

And I think the red hat goober comes from near you, not me.

I'll be down your way Saturday to get my little red hat in Simpsonville SC, Wnat to buy a bag of peanuts?

BTW
Jennifer will do OK, She is known now and with the dad she has, She is on her way. This show isn't the end of the world or the last word in music, Its for the Goobers like the red hat guy. At least we remember Jennifers name, We don't even remember his, its Just the Goober in the red hat....LOL

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 21 April 2004 at 06:32 AM.]

William Peters

Effort, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2004 6:43 am    

Yes, Jennifer was really good, and I hated to see her go.

But the purpose of Nashville Stars is not to find the perfect star, or the best performer. The real purpose is the same as it is for every other tv show...to get market share for the network, and sell advertising. The network does not care who wins, as long as people watch. If Tracey Gershon gets stuck with Matt Lindahl, thats her problem... she'll deal with it; better luck next year. Its just a TV show.

AS far as voting goes, its a level playing field for everyone. The rules are the same for Jennifer as the they are for the goober. Vote early and vote often. Apparently the unwashed masses liked Matt Lindahl.

Bill http://www.wgpeters.com

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2004 10:54 am    

Well buddy John..If my next meal depended on me playing with my NC Neighbor Goober pal.. then I am surely going to have to admit that I am in the wrong business and my attempt at making it in music has surely failed..

Should I work for tips on Broadway with Goober..and starve ? or should I just submit and get a job at Home Depot..and get to wear an orange Hat.. I vote for Home Depot and the Orange Hat..and daily food..

Oh..and save me a bag of Peanuts would ya ?

t
John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2004 11:41 am    

It would surprise me if Goober won, that's what TV's about, the lowest commone denominator. What I don't understand is, if Matt has got some talent in comedy, he should have a platform to display it. Minny Pearl wasn't a great singer, but she won the hearts of millions. I don't think that the song format allows enough latitude for guys like him to show his potential talent, if any.
John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2004 2:45 pm    

Tony
I'll have your bag of peanuts waiting at Saluda on May 15th, Hope to see you there.

John

Can't you do any thing with those red hat goobers over that way? We don't have problems like that in Eastern NC.

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 21 April 2004 at 03:47 PM.]