| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The King of Bluegrass
Adrian Wulff

Portland, OR, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 2:40 pm    

Just saw this documentary about Jimmy Martin yesterday. It's very, very good. There are scenes of him hunting, performing, harrassing his fiddle player, and generally being obnoxios and opininonated. He even disses the IMA while accepting an award from them. He comes across as having more guts and passion for the music then any performer I can think of.

here's a link- kingofbluegrass.com
Adrian
Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 2:53 pm    

Adrian, what network did you see the documentary on? Thanks.
Adrian Wulff

Portland, OR, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 5:47 pm    

Tom- It was part of a music film festival in Portland, OR. According to the website you can order it on DVD or VHS, it's worth the money. I walked out of the theater with a mix of happiness and anger. The anger came from a film that followed Jimmy Martin, I walked out after 5 minutes of the second film. The film featured a lot of newer, ahem... bluegrass/jamgrass/newgrass bands and what a huge following they draw.

I guess I was pissed because of the practice that great musicians/pioneers distill the experience of surviving a harsh environment (extreme poverty, abuse, loss) into intensely emotional music. I'm thinking of the bios of Johnny Cash, the Louvin Brothers, Bill Monroe, Merle Haggard to name a few.

Then others come along and "take up/carry on" the tradition, often to greater success than the original because the original is too real or taboo to reach a broad market. Is Little Richard a forum member? Could he take down Perry Como in a bare-knuckle brawl?

It took me a good three hours to see how useless it is to be bitter about things like this. Everything grows and changes, anything that doesn't dies.

Adrian
Mike Winter

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 8:43 pm    

Little Richard could take down Perry Como alright, but he'd have his hands full with Pat Boone.
Adrian Wulff

Portland, OR, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 10:00 pm    

Mike- Ooppps, wrong bland pop singer! At least Pat Boone did a metal album a few years ago.

How's the steel comin'?

Adrian
Piney Woods

Lawrence, KS, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 3:53 pm    

I received the VHS of this film for Christmas and not only is it great that Mr. Goehl made this film in the first place,he did a terrific job.I believe it was his first experience with filmmaking and he knocked it out of the park.Very professional, plus he didn't dwell on the more "sensationalized" aspects of the great Jimmy Martin's personality.A friend of mine worked on the film and he came away with a couple of good JM stories.
As far as others reaping the harvest that the pioneers planted,maybe David Bowie (I think) said it best: it doesn't matter who does it first,it's who does it second (as far as the general public is concerned).